2014 Jetta Blowing Hot Air...Please help

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a 2014 Jetta S the AC is not working. I replaced the compressor with a remanufactured one but not sure it is working/good because it is still blowing hot air. The compressor spins but will not engage. The system was vacuumed and verified to be sealed and holding a charge. Both fans are operating, I also measured the voltage going to the compressor solenoid and it is reading 8.75 volts. I'm not sure what else to check, so any help would be appreciated.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have a 2014 Jetta S the AC is not working. I replaced the compressor with a remanufactured one but not sure it is working/good because it is still blowing hot air. The compressor spins but will not engage. The system was vacuumed and verified to be sealed and holding a charge. Both fans are operating, I also measured the voltage going to the compressor solenoid and it is reading 8.75 volts. I'm not sure what else to check, so any help would be appreciated.
Was the new compressor ever run in? Can you view the pressure in vcds?

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
Was the new compressor ever run in? Can you view the pressure in vcds?
Not sure what you mean by run in, but I received this remanufactured compressor for an auto parts store. After installation, the system was vacuum down to -30 for about 30 mins. After waiting an additional 30 minutes to verify the system is holding line pressure I used gauges to charge it and that is where I am now. I don't use VCDS, I used a traditional scan tool that doesn't give pressure readings.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, should have started there.

A/C cannot blow "hot air", it can only reduce the temp, or not reduce the temp. A HEATER can raise the temp (hot). You may have a temp blend problem, as the heater will easily out do the A/C.

You really need a proper scan tool to diagnose the system. If you cannot see the pressure sensor values, you are kind of shooting in the dark. Compressors are not a high failure item, but the RCVs are (and are cheap and easy to replace).

The compressor is not ON/OFF, the RCV duty cycles depending on load and cooling demand.

About the only thing you can do if you do not have a scan tool is see if the low side line temp drops when the A/C button is pressed, and that is just going to give you a very vague and basic idea of if the system is cooling at all or not. But won't really tell you anything else.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
Since I'm used to working on the clutch style AC systems, what should I look for using the OBD? Can you recommend a good economical scan tool for troubleshooting?
I agree compressor don't usually go bad. The car's AC did use to work great until AC compressor solenoid valve connector was accidently broken off. Which, is why a new remanufactured compressor was ordered, but still not working....

oilhammer

TDI
Cars can (and often do) have some form of OBD regardless of how the compressor is controlled. But as far as a scan tool, many of us use VCDS from www.ross-tech.com .

If you have the old compressor, I would be inclined to just get a new RCV and put that in instead.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks, I just ordered the connector and will d/l VCDS once the connector arrives.
This is a brand new rebuilt compressor from the parts store that's been installed. The AC lights up orange (when pressed.) The system is reading 65 on the HS but will not blow cold. Hopefully the cable will be here soon....

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Since I'm used to working on the clutch style AC systems, what should I look for using the OBD? Can you recommend a good economical scan tool for troubleshooting?
I agree compressor don't usually go bad. The car's AC did use to work great until AC compressor solenoid valve connector was accidently broken off. Which, is why a new remanufactured compressor was ordered, but still not working....
obdeleven is the cheapest, but there is a subscription fee now. so i agree. ross tech vagcom.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks, I just ordered the connector and will d/l VCDS once the connector arrives.
This is a brand new rebuilt compressor from the parts store that's been installed. The AC lights up orange (when pressed.) The system is reading 65 on the HS but will not blow cold. Hopefully the cable will be here soon....
did it ever blow colder than ambiant? when i installed a new compressor on my dads jsw, i had to do a compressor run-in before it would work.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
did it ever blow colder than ambiant? when i installed a new compressor on my dads jsw, i had to do a compressor run-in before it would work.
No, it did not ever blow colder than ambient. This is why I am wondering if there is a problem with the compressor itself. How do you do a compressor run-in?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
@Electron there's supposed to be a way you can do a compressor run-in without the appropriate scan tool. I tried for well over an hour and chould not figure it out. I eventually broke down and used my scan tool.
These cars are smart enough to realize it's been replaced and will not operate it untill you've broken the compressor in. And within 2 years the rcv on the compressor will need replacing. That is normally what fails. Rarely need the compressor replaced...

oilhammer

TDI
We don't know if the OP has Climatic or Climatronic, although the compressor part is the same regardless.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
I ordered a cable for the VCDS, that will hopefully be in by the weekend. The climate control, I'm not 100% sure, but appears to be basic. The part number is 5C1819045.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Your car is most likely the regular Climatic. Which is electronic still on the compressor control, it just doesn't have the fancy automatic thermostat control for cabin temps. The NCS cars also went back to a cable for something, I forget exactly what.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
That's what I was thinking as well.....I will just be glad when the the cable comes in. I do want to thank everyone for the assistance and helpful advice.

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
Ok, I received the cable and installed the VCDS software, but now confused. I have a connection and the test is successful on both port and interface. When I go to the menu and click on the engine button, able to read stored codes but that is all. When I attempt to access click on the HVAC button, I get an error "no response from controller." Any idea why I cannot access the HVAC to do the compressor run-in?

Electron

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks, I read that article and tried it as well....No luck. On that note I am not sure if I did the process correctly....Because it is still not blowing cold air even with a new remanufactured AC compressor installed and the lines is holding a charge. There air no error codes displayed either.....