2014 Jetta A/C clutch not engaging

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Hey guys been rocking a 2014 jetta for some years now. I rarely drive since working from home but here is a problem that hopefully someone can help me diagnose. The a/c basically stopped working. The fan clutch does not engage. I put some gauges and there is pressure. I swapped the low pressure sensor just for fun but this did not solve anything. One thing I did fix was the RCV valve a few years ago. The AC lights inside the vehicle illuminate orange when you press the button if that matters, just the clutch does not engage. I do have the vag com software and cable but it has been so long since I used it I'm not sure if that is helpful in diagnosing the AC. Any places I should start checking to isolate the problem? I hate to take it to a shop and spend 8-1200 for a full ac job when it might just be a clutch I can change on the car without dumping the system. Thanks.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Thats right. Thanks for reminding me of that. It was a cheap amazon rcv too. Got a few years out of it. But shouldn't the compressor still engage even if rcv is bad?

jettafool

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I have a similar problem on the 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE I just bought. I also have a problem with the fans running full blast as soon as you start the car, I thought it might be the fan module so switched fans, now they are still running too much, sometimes the small one, sometimes both.
I blipped the a/c pressure valve yesterday and it blew refrigerant right off, so, the system has some refrigerant for sure. The a/c light comes on with the button but the clutch seems to do nothing. I'm thinking of trying too swap the RCV valve and see if anything happens. I do have manifolds and a vac pump, I could check that the refrigerant is full... I don't have a vag com though... I may end up in a garage

woburn

TDI
98' Jetta
I'm in the same boat... 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6-speed. I purchase about 2 years ago and shortly after the AC started to work intermittently. It would work for about 30 minutes in the morning, then not in the afternoon after work. Changed the RCV valve with little to no effect. Fast forward through the MN winter, and this spring it's not working at all. I was hesitant but took it to a shop for diagnostic only and after 2 hours they said the compressor is not getting any power. Told me my manual control was bad and would find me a used one and install for $400! I declined and swapped mine with a friends working control...... no change. AC control light lights up as it should, my fans do not start when AC is switched on. Systems was checked for pressure at the shop and I verified pressure also. Sucks spending money for a no-fix solution. I did get a text from the shop to follow up and ask if I was happy with my service. :) I replied, what service was provided.