2014 cjaa tdi engine noise. Please help

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
2014 jetta tdi. Used, No codes, changed and coded injectors. Started as slight ticking, now it is loud. Pulled valve cover and oil pan. No visible signs of damage. Sound is same from under car or under hood. Noise follows acceleration- doesnt change cold or warm. (Oil starvation suspected from previous owner) This is my first CR.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
I have VCDS., car has 120k, next step i will pull the cams and lifters? Please any help will be appreciated

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Can you unplug each injector in turn? (New to cr engines)

My thinking is if it's a bad injector would the noise go away if the injector isn't firing? And would that point to anything in particular?

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi

My thinking is if it's a bad injector would the noise go away if the injector isn't firing? And would that point to anything in particular?

i put a set of injectors from another running tdi and it makes the same noise.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
When i purchased the car, it had a bad turbo. Previous owner ran it with little to no oil in engine. When i replaced turbo and changed all filters it had an intermittent ticking. I agree seems to be mechanical. I may need to look for a used engine?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Sounds like "nailing". Google it or search it here and see what the suggestions for fix are.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
Deleted, stage 2 tune, not a regen issue? May pull the cam tray and inspect the lifters. I appreciate the advice, this forum seems to be less "helpful" than I remember.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Deleted, stage 2 tune, not a regen issue? May pull the cam tray and inspect the lifters. I appreciate the advice, this forum seems to be less "helpful" than I remember.
Was the noise their before you changed the injectors?
Sounds like one or more of the injectors aren't sealing ???

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
this forum seems to be less "helpful" than I remember.
You're welcome.

Sorry we weren't there to advise you not to buy a car that ran out of oil.
Exactly this. Seriously.
You bought a car whose engine is notoriously fussy about oil spec that RAN OUT OF OIL. Only way I would've bought that would've been with "replace engine" budgeted into my purchase price.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Usually rod knock would be one of the first bad sounds to emerge after oil starvation, but that definitely sounds more like valvetrain to me. Is the oil pressure good?

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
Compression test within specs. ( not sure on the specs for leak down) , im just trying to cover my bases before swapping engine.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
take the injectors back out, take the valve cover off, then take the cam girdle off, then take the cams out (timing belt has gotta come off for it) and then inspect

you've ruled out basically everything else. now it's time for general deconstruction until you either:

1) find the problem
2) tear it down enough without finding the problem to warrant an engine replacement.

hawk1039

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi
I just wanted to make sure i had covered my bases before i started taking the engine apart. I will post finding- Thanks everyone for suggestions.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
just for giggles, does it still do that nailing sound with the accessory / serpentine belt taken off?