2014 BMW 328d Sedan A 3-series BMW with VW Jetta TDI Fuel Economy?

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
With BMW expanding their footprint in the US diesel market I'll be watching what type of fuel pump they have. BMW has seen the challenges VW has had with its CP4 HPFP so you'd expect they have done substantial testing to avoid similar outcomes. If it's a Bosch pump, maybe VW is working with Bosch for a new pump too.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
With BMW expanding their footprint in the US diesel market I'll be watching what type of fuel pump they have. BMW has seen the challenges VW has had with its CP4 HPFP so you'd expect they have done substantial testing to avoid similar outcomes. If it's a Bosch pump, maybe VW is working with Bosch for a new pump too.
The CP3.2+ on M/N57 3.0L diesels has been bullet proof (oil lubricated). Not sure what pump is on the N47 2.0L variant coming over in the 328d.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
The CP3.2+ on M/N57 3.0L diesels has been bullet proof (oil lubricated). Not sure what pump is on the N47 2.0L variant coming over in the 328d.
Although the drive mechanism on the 6 cyl BMW diesel uses the timing chain which is lubricated by oil, the internals where the high pressure is generated only see diesel fuel.

The 320d/328d uses the CP4 pump. This is slightly troubling. What gives me hope for better reliability is the fact that BMW had the internals of the CP3.2+ pump specially coated to deal with the lower fuel standards here in N America and perhaps they'll do the same for the CP4 in the 4 cyl engine.

On the other hand the NHTSA investigation report of the VW HPFP issue showed that most of the failed pumps investigated had fuel at the time of failure that exceeded the tougher Euro lubricity standard- so the failure mode is unclear and hence the CP4 may just be a substandard design :(

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think this part is wrong:
Automobile said:
5 Series: When we first reported on BMW bringing a turbo-diesel four-cylinder to the U.S., we also mentioned it was also importing a new twin-turbocharged diesel I-6. That engine’s first application is in the 5 Series sedan.. .
and here's why
Automobile said:
... previous estimates suggested it could offer close to 255 hp and 413 lb-ft of torque...
That is the exact power output of the 3L, single turbo BMW diesel. It may be "twinpower" turbo, but is not a twin turbo ;)

Here's a bit from bmw.com that helps understand:
The secret behind the high performance values with reduced fuel consumption in an innovative technology package that combines common rail direct injection and multi-stage turbocharging with variable turbine geometry. The BMW TwinPower Turbo 535d with 230 kW (313 hp) and 630 Nm is the most powerful diesel engine in the BMW 5 Series Sedan. Dynamic and powerful with plenty of torque, the straight six-cylinder engine sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds and consumes only 5.4 to 5.6 litres of diesel per 100 km.

The BMW TwinPower Turbo engine in the BMW 530d also unfolds its power dominantly and harmoniously: 190 kW (258 hp) and 540 Nm. Three litres’ capacity and a turbocharger system with variable intake geometry provide maximum torque from as little as 1,500 rpm..
I know its confusing because of BMW's approach to naming the new diesel models over here- a vehicle identical to the 320d will be badged 328d here. Likewise they evidently will badge a Euro 530d as something else for the US market. :eek:

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
BMW is good at dropping high specific power output diesels on our shore. The 265HP 3L in the last 335d and now a 180HP 2L. Not bad!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I had a 320d as a service loaner, and you would need a huge lead foot to get that thing to 40 mpg. Unless you do a lot of city driving probably.

(Why do they call it a 328d over there? Do Americans demand bigger numbers on the badge? Why not 399d then?)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for sharing that, Marcus.

<$40k
>40 mpg highway EPA rating
:D

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a 320d as a service loaner, and you would need a huge lead foot to get that thing to 40 mpg. Unless you do a lot of city driving probably.

(Why do they call it a 328d over there? Do Americans demand bigger numbers on the badge? Why not 399d then?)
Great question. My thoughts are that they're justifying the price being >328i. In Europe, it appears that the 320d with blueperformance and auto would be at or just below a 328i.

The 40mpg is using the very conservative US EPA test cycle. I'm sure the real life numbers will be much better.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
320d/auto/BluePerformance is about 1000€ below a 328i. 320d comes standard with smaller wheels without runflats though, if you add the 17"s the 328i comes standard with, the difference shrinks to 10€. (Ten Euros!) ;)
Maybe they'll price the "328d" exactly the same as the auto 328i.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
Great question. My thoughts are that they're justifying the price being >328i. In Europe, it appears that the 320d with blueperformance and auto would be at or just below a 328i.

The 40mpg is using the very conservative US EPA test cycle. I'm sure the real life numbers will be much better.
Agreed, when I saw it, figured it is because BMW knows that most people are too ignorant to understand. They BMW is probably correct in thinking that most people here would not understand, they would just see the badge, and think, "this is the new economy version".

A lot of people buy BMW and MB cars, esp the 3-series and C-class, to be seen, and they think they are granted licence to drive like DB's because of that "status symbol", and yes, I have met plenty of people who thought a 3 series implied status.

So, since BMW knows that the many people buy it based on what they think others will think of them for driving it, they are probably wise in not making it appear "lower" on the chain than the 328, as that would mean to most of the DB shoppers the girl he was trying to impress with his Bimmer at a club would think he couldn't even afford a 328, so he would buy the cheaper car, to look "more appealing" to her.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
320d/auto/BluePerformance is about 1000€ below a 328i. 320d comes standard with smaller wheels without runflats though, if you add the 17"s the 328i comes standard with, the difference shrinks to 10€. (Ten Euros!) ;)
Maybe they'll price the "328d" exactly the same as the auto 328i.
After spending time on the bmw.de website configuring the d, I can say I'm really glad we don't pay what you do :eek:
The same 328i you'd pay $38k for in the US would cost nearly $51k in Deutschland!!!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
But nobody pays even remotely close to list price in Deutschland. 17% discount is the least I would expect from a BMW dealer, and you have to remember 19% VAT are included in German market prices.

So apples-to-apples comparison... If I were to buy a 320d with auto and BluePerformance tomorrow at my friendly neighborhood BMW dealer, the pre-tax price on the invoice would be about $35,600, not $51,000.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Regardless of whether it's called a 320 or 328, I find a BMW that gets >40 mpg (I have read 45 on a review site) very appealing. I had a new F30-bodied 328i as a loaner recently and I have to say I was impressed by the room (I don't fit in an E90 due to headroom issues). When it becomes time to move our E60 (fuel sucking pig) along, I may give a diesel 3 a good hard look.

If only we could get one without the blasted run-flats...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's the latest on the '328d'
BMW 328d Sedan Debuts at New York International Auto Show
29.03.2013Contained media data:
1 Attachment
9 photos

BMW 328d Sedan. (03/2013) Show all media
Ushers in next wave of BMW Advanced Diesel models in the US
45 mpg preliminary estimate for highway fuel economy*

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – March 29, 2013… BMW debuted the new 328d Sedan at the New York International Auto, ushering in the next wave of BMW Advanced Diesel models in the US. The 328d will feature BMW’s 2.0-liter TwinPower diesel 4-cylinder engine. It produces 180 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque, available from 1,750 rpm. It will be mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. The 328d Sedan will accelerate from 0 – 60 mph in just over seven seconds. Preliminary highway fuel economy estimates are expected to be 45 mpg. The 328d Sedan will be available in rear wheel drive and also with xDrive, BMW’s advanced all-wheel drive system. The sedans will be joined by the 328d xDrive Sports Wagon. All Three variants will arrive in US showroom as 2014 models in fall of 2013.
BMW Advanced diesel models have already shown to US enthusiasts that diesel power can be perfectly suited to The Ultimate Driving MachineTM. With the introduction of the first 4-cylinder diesel BMW engine offered in the US, BMW Advanced Diesel power and particularly outstanding levels of torque and outstanding fuel efficiency. Preliminary fuel economy estimates for the rear wheel drive 328d Sedan are 32 mpg city/45 mpg highway/37 mpg combined*. BMW Advanced Diesel technology includes Selective Catalyst Reduction to make the new 328d models true clean diesels.
Levels of performance and luxury expected of any BMW 3 Series will be ensured with levels of standard equipment on par with the 328i gasoline models. The options list will include Luxury, Sport and Modern Lines as well as M Sport.
Detailed specifications and pricing will be available closer to launch. All three 328d variants will be available in US showrooms this fall.
Better EPA numbers than any tdi.
MSRP is not available yet, but they say it will be south of $40k

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
"Cannot"? More like "don't want to".
Agreed, and it is mostly because those in the U.S. that shift their own are becoming a very small group. Deal breaker for me, but, I am old school. So wanted to do European delivery of a nice 3 series with a diesel stick! Sadly, I will just keep my 04 330CI, and enjoy my 6 speed manual!

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
The days of the manual transmission on non-entry level vehicles are numbered. Particularly since the performance and economy of newer autos is notably better than manuals.

There will always be a small cadre of manual transmission proponents, lamenting the demise of the manual transmission. Nothing much will close the gap between them and companies where there is little profit in producing a more expensive niche base-line auto. Does BMW still make manuals? Yup, but the profit margin on related volumes must support it. In North America it isn't supported, especially in America over in Canada, where it seems most drivers would prefer cup holders over a manual transmission.

If a lower-powered 318d or dare the marketers even deem a badged 316d to be acceptable in North America, they would most certainly be optioned with a manual transmission. Until then, the 320d....er...328d, and other higher-powered diesels will remain auto, and the highest-powered diesels such as the 50d family will absolutely only come with autos - simple engineering challenge to handle that much power in a small form factor; manuals can't cut it.

I don't say this as a stick-hater; I have driven over 600,000km on diesel and gas sticks. My 2K1 Jetta TDI will likely be the last stick I drive, not because I don't want to shift, but because the power, features and type of car I desire to drive will likely not come with a stick.

I might give the 328d a drive, but since I already have a 335d and I'm looking for a small SUV like the GLK, Tiguan or X3 and only the GLK comes in diesel, I may end up with the M-B along side my 335d and Jetta.

Regards
D.