2014 BMW 328d or Mercedes E250BT

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
My buyback is scheduled for Dec 29th. I've centered on either of the above with XDrive or 4Matic. I like both of them equally well. I've sat in the BMW but I haven't driven either one. I've read some good reviews from all of you about either one. I'm looking at the 2014 for both, as I can't afford newer, but am looking at CPO for both.
Anyone have experience with the 328d? I've read in some threads about the E250BT here, but have heard the '15s are better cars because of the safety ratings. I'd assume on the E250 that either year are about the same.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Thanks!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
TDINJ: I have argued, wrongly, that the safety rating (crash testing) of the 2015 is better than 14. I recently learned they are the same. I misunderstood about the 2014/5 E250BT crash tests/safety ratings. When I bought my 2015 E250BT, it was IIHS rated for 2014 built cars (2015s). I misunderstood that this meant that the 2014 had not been crash tested. I recently thought of checking the IIHS websites for 2014s and they have the same crash tests and safety ratings as the 2015. So I'm sorry about the misinformation I had about it.

What may be better in the 15 safety is the wonderful radar automatic braking features, and perhaps the radio interface. If the price is similar, get the 16 or 15 loaded, rather than the 14. I still think the car is great, and these extras, with or without, don't change the basic automobile strength. Test drive and compare the bmw vs e250 handling and performance. The E250 is a big car with an efficient engine. The BMW is a small car. I wanted a great handling big car.

After reading ChinaBob link, E250 have Hold, and since they are biturbo I don't miss my manual trans, which on my jetta I swore by. I don't like my seat either and have written on the E250BT thread about my fix. The stereo seems fair and the tint I wouldn't consider due to already troubled visibility which I also have written on.

Again, the car -- the automotive engineering and driving -- is what I give the A+ to. The rest seems to be in the "other" category for me.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
As for Safety, the BMW 328 fails the small offset front crash, a lethal crash which accounts for 1/3 of front end crash fatalities. So it is not as safe as an E Class. It is size comparable to the C Class, but as of 2015 the C class has good small offset scores. The BMW 328 is a smaller, less safe car than the Mercedes E250BT.