2014 535d questions

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
I found a beautiful 2014 535d xdrive I’m considering looking at. It’s got 97xxx miles and they’re asking 14k. As of now I know nothing of the car’s history but I’ve read egr failures are pretty common. What should I know going into this? Common issues I should look for? I plan on tuning and deleting basically asap, so would that eliminate most of the weak points? Any former/current owners or mechanics experiences and opinions are very much appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
BMWs can suffer a bunch of failures unrelated to the drivetrain that can be expensive: Stero/nav head unit, comfort module, blower motor failure, suspension bushings wear, etc. However, if you're planning on deleting the emissions the engine can run much more reliably, as you'll avoid the issues with the Adblue tank, Nox sensors, and so on. At that mileage you should plan on an intake/cylinder head cleaning. I've heard dealers charge about $2K for this service, but independents will do it for $600-800. You may be able to get it done under the extended emissions warranty (10 years/120K miles) before you do the delete.