2013 vs 2014 Touareg Dynaudio Software revert?

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
It seems VW changed the software interface in '14 on the Dynaudio for the worst. Is there any way to revert only the Dynaudio software to the 2013 version in a 2014 or newer Touareg TDI with Dynaudio? Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm guessing that you are talking about different firmware versions?
I've read about others adding MATCH DSP, etc. to improve things, but I can't recall hearing complaints about firmware upgrades.
Are you comparing the same firmware, or is there a chance that the '14 you're unhappy with is on an older firmware than your '13 which seemed better to you?

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
All I know is that I owned a 13' Executive with Dynaudio and the infotainment software offered far more user adjustability than the 14' Dynaudio software.
The 14' Dynaudio sounds inferior due to the change in software and limited settings - incredibly tinny, muffled mid range, and lacking low end bass. Apologies if i am confusing software and firmware.
Thanks for your input. I was just hoping there is a way to have the same user interface and adjustability settings on the 14' Dynaudio that I enjoyed on my 13'.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Btw, I did try to contact Dynaudio which just referred me to the clueless VW Customer Care. A local stereo shop did mention something about a possible software "packet," or maybe I misheard and he said "patch." I was hoping there could be a way to isolate and revert only the 14' Dynaudio user interface settings to what it was on the 13.'

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So really, we don't know what you are comparing, other than your previous '13 to your current '14.
It is possible, like I said, that your '13 had a different firmware on it than your '14 does.
Do you know how to look up what firmware you're running on your RNS850 to try and figure out if you're up to date or if you're still on whatever was shipped out with the vehicle when it was put into service?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As a reference, here's my '14's data.... I had it updated at the end of 2018.... there might be newer firmware since then, but no one has touched it since I've owned it, so it would not have been updated.

HN+_US_VW_P0734
7P6060884J NAR 6.16.2

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
No, I do not know how to look up what firmware I am using. All I know is I have confirmed my Dynaudio screen selections or options are different when I compared my 13' to my 14.'
Thanks much. Maybe someone with a 13,' or even an 11-12 Executive can share screenshots of their Dynaudio on screen options?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go into your setup menu and look for something along the lines of "version information".... I can't recall exactly where it is, but it will list a media and a navigation version similar to what I gave you above.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And I assume that you already know how to navigate the RNS850 settings, but just to be safe, here's the basics for the sound settings.
(excuse the formatting... I'm too lazy to clean it up so I just pasted from the manual)

Sound and volume settings
􀂤 Please first read and heed the WARNINGS , note the introductory information and heed
the WARNINGS

􀁸 Press the SETUP Infotainment button.
􀁸 Press the Sound function key.
Changes made in settings menus are automatically applied once the menu is closed.
Function key: Effect

Dynaudio Confidence: Dynaudio-Confidence® settings
Treble - Bass : Changing sound character. Change settings by moving the slider 􀀿.
Balance - Fader : Changing the sound focus
Volume: Volume settings.
Voice guidance: Set output volume for navigation announcements during route guidance.
Reduced audio volume Set how much the volume for other audio sources should
be reduced during a navigation announcement. The current audio source is set to
the reduced volume while you change the settings.
Parking distance warning system: Set output volume for beeping signals (front and rear).
Reduced audio volume: Set how much the volume for other audio sources should
be reduced while a beeping signal sounds. The current audio source is set to the
reduced volume while you change the settings.
Telephone5: Set output volume for telephone calls in the vehicle.

􀀽 Speed-dependent volume adjustment : If the speed-dependent volume is activated, the audio
volume is automatically raised as the vehicle speed increases.
When speed-dependent volume is switched on in vehicles with Dynaudio Confidence®, the volume
of individual frequencies is automatically raised or reduced depending on the road noise caused by
the rising vehicle speed. This “reduces” the road noise in the vehicle.
Changing the sound focus (balance and fader) using the vehicle diagram

􀁸 Press the Balance - Fader function key.
The crosshair in the vehicle diagram shows the current sound focus in the vehicle interior.

􀁸 Place your finger on the crosshair and, without lifting it off, drag it across the screen. Lift your finger
off the screen once the sound focus is in the required position (Moving objects).

􀁸 OR: Press the point in the interior view where you want the sound focus to be.

􀁸 OR: Move the sound focus step by step by pressing the arrow buttons on the left of the screen.
Press the function key between the arrow buttons to return the sound focus to the center of the interior
view.

Dynaudio Confidence®
Additional settings are available if the vehicle is equipped with the RNS 850 and Dynaudio.
5 Only when a mobile phone or a SIM card is connected to the Infotainment System ⇒ page 400.

􀁸 In the Sound settings main menu, press the Dynaudio Confidence main menu.
Function key: Effect

Dynaudio Presets : Set sound profile and tone color.
Individual : Move slider 􀀿 to change setting for tone color.
Authentic , Soft , Dynamic , Speech: Press to select sound profile.
Surround: Set level of surround effect.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Here's what I found in my 14' ..
My Dynaudio screens for options are- Authentic, Soft, Dynamic, Speech and then within... Stereo, Small, or Wide, plus Bass and Treble controls.
Are your screen options the same in your '14 Dynaudio? Thanks. Media version below:

Media Version: HN+_US-VW_P0726

Navigation database version:
8R0060884BL NAR 6.9.2

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, so your firmware is not that far behind mine, but your nav maps are years behind (look like original from 2014).
The treg is not my DD, so I can't check right now, but they should be the same (since they match what I posted above from manual)
Try fine tuning your settings..... someone could've messed around with the balance \ focus \ surround settings. I believe there's even a "reset to factory" option in there somewhere..... it's been a while since I've poked around.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
I saw the sound factory reset option actually but I was afraid of what that might do?
I believe this is the factory version of the Dynaudio for 14'.
Btw, I am not alone in my Dynaudio frustration however most of the complaints are from 14' and up owners.
The 2013 allowed you to adjust the level of Surround numerically and the treble and bass had great numeric adjustment.
Really appreciate your input. Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think you've explored the whole RNS environment..... there are sliders under setup\settings\sound or something for each parameter and you can drag them with your finger or use the + \ - buttons to make incremental changes...... no functionality or granularity should be missing from what you had in a previous RNS850 system.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Thanks. I've already confirmed the settings and adjustability are different between the 13' and 14.' I have explored the Sound Focus settings for balance and fader etc. at length which is what I think you are referencing.
I'd guess even a '13 manual would show the difference in Dynaudio settings vs. the 14.'

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep us posted as I find it weird that you cannot adjust the settings in yours

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Yep, confirmed from manual as well. Surround effect is adjustable numerically - just like bass and treble for the 13.' The 14' allows for only crude settings like Authentic, Dynamic, Vocal, Wide, Short and Stereo etc. Bummer as it is the same speakers. I've compensated by using a DAP player as a source, however there is no on screen interface like the iPod
Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Negative (you're doing it wrong) .... don't go into Dynaudio Confidence or whatever.....

Go into
Setup \ Sound \ Treble - Bass OR Setup \ Sound \ Balance - Fader

If you go into Dynaudio Confidence instead, you get presets and custom
- Individual \ Authentic \ Soft \ Dynamic \ Speech

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Oh no I got it. I've spent a lot of time in the settings.
When you get a chance, have a look at your Dynaudio settings in your 14.' I took pictures of my 14'
I'm guessing your 14' has the same Dynaudio Authentic, Soft, Dynamic, Speech, Stereo, Small, Wide, plus Bass and Treble controls as well?
The Surround setting is numerically adjustable in the 13' and has no Authentic, Soft, Dynamic, Speech etc settings. The 13' and 14' manuals reference different settings as well. The 14' does have bass and treble, fader, and balance, however the Surround numeric adjustment is missing in the 14.'

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
however the Surround numeric adjustment is missing in the 14.'
Look again.

Manual said:
Dynaudio Confidence®
Additional settings are available if the vehicle is equipped with the RNS 850 and Dynaudio.

► In the Sound settings main menu, press the Dynaudio Confidencemain menu.
Press one of the function keys in the Dynaudio settings menu to open the corresponding settings
menu.

Sound focus: Optimize sound effects, frequency ranges and sound focus for different sitting positions in
the vehicle.

Surround: Set level of surround effect.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Nice find! I see that too now, however I do not have the ability to adjust the level of Surround effect numerically in my 14' - only stereo short and wide are the settings. What about your 14'? Thanks again

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can confirm that my "surround" options are the same as what you're seeing.

Reactions: GG2

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
Thanks much...Yep, 2013 had the numeric Surround adjustability, which to make a very short story long, made the Dynaudio a much more enjoyable system when listening to iPods and DAP's. Appreciate your input.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As far as I know, the RNS850 is the same across all years ..... I'd find someone with an earlier firmware as I would suspect that the feature you're after might've existed in older firmware based on what you're saying.

GG2

TDI
Jetta Wagen
All I know is I had different firmware in my 13' Executive with Surround numeric adjustability and in my '11 Executive. Change happened in '14, which 13' Executive owners can confirm.