2013 sportwagen no crank update towed to dealership

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Did they install the Cold Weather kit? If so, honestly the only other "sure" way, is the EGR falls off somewhere in mexico.

bmor89

TDI
2013 Golf
I had two cold weather "fixes" installed on mine over the past few years, and I also cover my lower grille. Delete and tune was the only thing that solved the problem.

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Thanks for the info. Reliability is the thing that separates us from the '70's when you were really not sure if your car would start or last 100k. Guess I'll have to drive my '03 in the winter or some kind of delete for my '13. God bless you all.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My '70s vehicles were pretty good, actually. I was still driving the 1975 Bus my parents purchased used in 1981 up into the '90s. Its Bosch L-jet EFI system insured it ALWAYS started.... hot cold, bitter cold, didn't matter. The odometer was rolled twice, and almost a third time, before rust just got the best of it. But it never once broke down. I still have the '79. I think there were some pretty abysmal cars during that time, but most were American.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Since I was quoted above…. 13 Beetle 1st freeze under cpo warranty at 50k in jan 17, cpo covered tow and cold weather kit installation. Tdi modification in august 17 at 61k. Summer 2019 stumbles under hard acceleration. Jan 20 at 89k, frozen intercooler again. I drained 2.5 CUPS of water out of the intercooler pipe. Didn’t realize it killed the battery trying to start and it made a horrible noise trying to start after emptying the intercooler. Towed to the dealer under the 3 years roadside assistance from tdi goodwill package. A charged battery and we’re back on the road. Installed winter front which the covers the grill when the high is below 60* in central nc. 2 years 17,000 miles later after draining the intercooler pipe 3 times, i only get a few drips of water maybe a tablespoon total. The only change is the grill cover, my commute and everything else is the same.

Talon

TDI
Yet another update.
I last drove my car about 30-45 days ago. Parked it in my shed, unheated plugged in a battery maintainer. Today 35* I started the car to move it to load for a trip. It ran for 2 seconds and stopped abruptly. Yup you guessed it hydro locked again. Pulled the elbow off at the intercooler about a quart of water came out. Even after the winter kit 1 year ago and the bend over job from the dealership. Love the car despise the hassle.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Drill a 1/32" hole in the intercooler plastic pipe and the water will drain out, but the hole is small enough to not lose any boost.
Keep in mind that if you glue on a nipple and put a short hose on it dealer MAY refuse all warranty work. Ask me I know.............

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Yes, drill the hole. It works quite well at letting the water drip out. You would be surprised to see how much water can go thru a 1/32" hole.

Talon

TDI
Vw says to take it back to the dealership that charged me to put in warranty parts for the cold climate kit.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Vw says to take it back to the dealership that charged me to put in warranty parts for the cold climate kit.
That's good news! Milk that warranty for all you can get! Make sure to get a loaner car too, they're required to give you one. They probably also owe you a check. Bring the extended emissions warranty insert from your owners manual or print it out and point to the correct part with your finger, right in front of the service manager's face, and demand repair, a loaner, and probably money.

Last edited:

Talon

TDI
Just got the newest on my car. After driving my truck on vacation after the second hydro lock issue. I now have the P2015 code. I just can't win with this car, hell can't even drive it.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Just got the newest on my car. After driving my truck on vacation after the second hydro lock issue. I now have the P2015 code. I just can't win with this car, hell can't even drive it.
Vw now owes you a new intake manifold. Er, you're still under warranty right?