2013 Passat starts then immediately stalls

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
2013 Passat SEL TDI - 157,000 miles
No engine or emissions modifications, no tune, 10k miles past diesel gate extended warranty

Current status:
Car will crank for an extended period of time, idle for 2-5 seconds and stall.

How we got there:
As far as I can tell, some symptoms started showing up last fall. I live in MN and as the temps started to drop it began to start hard (crank longer than normal before starting with a random shudder mixed in). Somewhere along the way the check engine light came on and my simple wifi OBDII scanner showed glow plug #2 circuit problem. From then on, when I would start the car, I’d hit start without depressing the brake to give the glow plugs ample time to warm. Whether this is a thing or not, I don’t know, but it seemed to help. Then on Dec. 6th the temps dropped, I forgot to do the two-step start when leaving work, and you could tell the battery wasn’t having it. I was able to jump start it and drive it home. I have an extra vehicle, so I didn’t put the battery on a charger overnight. Next morning, I got in and did the two-step start and it worked. Battery date showed December 2018, so I didn’t think the battery should be faulty (or I convinced myself it was fine, and it was just the glow plug that was the problem). I confirmed glow plug #2 had a problem and replaced it with a genuine part from VW. After that, starting seemed to have improved and the check engine light went away, but it still didn’t seem to be back to “normal.” This was around December 10th as I have the receipt for the glow plug and heater core which I replaced at the same time. Then on December 23rd my dash lit up like a Christmas tree when by clock spring went out. They are on indefinite back order.

I continued to drive the car and in late January I go the message Add Blue Error: 200 miles until no start. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it as it had popped up one other time and shortly thereafter gone away. I continued to drive it and the distance until no start was down around 35 miles on January 31st when problems really started. I was on my way home from work and after driving roughly 20 miles on the freeway, I exited and came to a stop light at the end of the ramp. When pulling away I simply didn’t have any power and couldn’t get going over 30 mph. I was able to drive the 4 blocks to my daughter’s day care to pick her up and hoped it would reset itself upon restarting the car. Well, it didn’t and from there it wouldn’t let me get more than a little bit above idle. I ended up idling the 15 blocks the rest of the way home with my hazard lights on. Upon getting home I scanned with my OBDII tool again and now had a P0299 underboost fault.

My thought at this time was the car had gone into a limp mode being it was at 35 miles until no restart. I also thought my DEF tank was frozen and not allowing a regen to take place and thus the cause of the Add Blue error. I parked the car in my neighbor’s heated garage over night thinking that would allow the tank to thaw and allow a regen. This didn’t help (or I didn't give it long enough to actually regen) and the next day I idled it back over to my garage where it sat for a couple weeks.

Then, finally two weeks ago I had some time to dig into it more and by this time it would only start, run for a couple seconds, then die. I charged the battery, but this did not help. I tested the battery, it was bad, so I put a new one in. Once the battery was replaced, it started up again, but would not rev over roughly 1200 rpm. After doing some more reading, I started the car and let it idle continuously thinking that once it got to operating temp it may do a regen. By this time outside air temps were warm enough the DEF tank would not be frozen. While car was idling, it definitely seemed to be performing some regen as there was excessive exhaust coming from the tailpipes and it was quite pungent. Care was idling for roughly an hour and then it stalled out. I was working on something else in the garage when it eventually just stalled. So now I'm at the current state where it will only crank, start briefly, and stall. I've made sure the battery is fully charged, but that has not helped. I did notice after letting it idle for so long that the new battery did seem to be somewhat drained when I put it on a charger (or at least that is what the level indicator on the charger showed).

Thank you for any help that can be offered.

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I would eliminate fuel as being the source of problems first. When was the last time you changed the filter and are you sure you have no fuel leaks? Any air getting into the fuel system will cause these kinds of problems.
If your battery starts being drained while the engine is idling it would point to an alternator problem but that would seemingly not explain the engine not running for more than a few seconds.

I am not familiar with the underboost code your are getting but I would pursue that angle after you have confirmed that your fuel system is healthy, has fresh fuel, a clean filter, the filter housing is filled to the absolute brim, and there are no fuel leaks whatsoever.

I would also confirm you are not getting any glow plug codes showing up.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Car will not regen if it has a active CEL. CEL must be fixed before the DPF becomes too full and have to be replaced.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
I would eliminate fuel as being the source of problems first. When was the last time you changed the filter and are you sure you have no fuel leaks? Any air getting into the fuel system will cause these kinds of problems.
If your battery starts being drained while the engine is idling it would point to an alternator problem but that would seemingly not explain the engine not running for more than a few seconds.

I am not familiar with the underboost code your are getting but I would pursue that angle after you have confirmed that your fuel system is healthy, has fresh fuel, a clean filter, the filter housing is filled to the absolute brim, and there are no fuel leaks whatsoever.

I would also confirm you are not getting any glow plug codes showing up.
Thanks for the response. I replaced the fuel filter at the same time I replaced the glow plug (December) as it was about 10k miles past due. I also confirmed via VCDS that I'm building appropriate fuel pressure while cranking.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Car will not regen if it has a active CEL. CEL must be fixed before the DPF becomes too full and have to be replaced.
Thanks for the heads up. That is surprising to hear as it definitely smelled like it was doing some sort of regen while idling the other night.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
I ended up having the car towed to a reputable independent German auto repair shop. Diagnosis just came back as a failed turbo. Too bad this didn't happen 10k miles earlier, would have been covered under the extended emissions warranty.

Any ideas on how much I should expect to pay for a replacement?

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Given the nature of pricing of things and having heartburn with the initial quote, if I were to attempt to replace it myself, what recommendations do people have? I'm in MN, so there is no emissions testing and would plan to hold on to it for quite a while after repairing.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
You should look at this video and try to find a good writeup of the procedure before thinking about it. I believe there is another video with some narration of what is going on. Its pretty involved and a lot of stuff has to be moved/replaced/disassembled, at least from my perspective. I believe the turbo would normally be removed from below, which complicates matters somewhat. Definitely beyond my skill set.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
You should look at this video and try to find a good writeup of the procedure before thinking about it. I believe there is another video with some narration of what is going on. Its pretty involved and a lot of stuff has to be moved/replaced/disassembled, at least from my perspective. I believe the turbo would normally be removed from below, which complicates matters somewhat. Definitely beyond my skill set.
Thanks Tom. I guess I'm fairly aware of what's involved from a removal/installation standpoint and not afraid of it given previous experiences with engines/transmissions/suspension work. I was looking more for information related to recommendations on what to replace it with, i.e. packages of parts/tunes that work best together. I should have done a better job clarifying that point.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Your options range from just replacing the turbo (they are now apparently available from IDParts and other sources) or do a full emissions delete and tune. For example see the packages from Rawtek. https://www.rawtekinc.com/collections/diesel-dpf-egr-def-delete-kits. I don't personally subscribe that that idea (for environmental reasons) but it is your car, do what works for you. If I was in your situation I would probably just replace the turbo, leave everything else in place, and motor on, or just get rid of the car and cut my losses.