2013 oil leak

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hello all, have a 2013 Passat TDI with 160k miles. recently developed a decent oil leak on the firewall side. Cannot determine where it is coming from. Underside of turbo is clean.

Any pointers would be appreciated

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Beater Passat. Real piece
Is it near the passanger side? mine leaked like crazy had to removed cam cradle and reseal it . VW said valve cover gasket but they where wrong.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Is it near the passanger side? mine leaked like crazy had to removed cam cradle and reseal it . VW said valve cover gasket but they where wrong.
How bad was it to remove the cam cradle? I believe I have the same leak, although not bad yet, it was not the valve cover or cam seal.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
Not that bad. Pull all injectors and pull the valve cover its a slight pain but not bad. i had to make my own injector puller and bought a slide hammer to get them out. i then pinned the cam as if i was doing a timing belt and marked the back gears with sharpies and used a feeler gauge and took 100 reference pics to where teeth lined up and such and pulled them out. i recommened holding the cams in as you pull the craddle off my cam up and then i check cam timing 100000x times lol. But i just sealed it up and reversed the process. the cam without a pin has the vac pump slot that needs to be parallel with the head so the slot sits at 9 and 3 o'clock.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
I also changed the cam seal and now i dont have a single leak. my car used to smoke when it would regen because the dpf got so hot and would burn off that oil on the back of the block. i eventually did a delete to help the issue put the oil leak made me mad so i dove in and fixed it.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Getting ready to do the reseal on the cam cradle and have a couple of questions.
Did you have to remove the cams or just remove the cradle and leave them in place?
And did you have to remove the vacuum pump?
Thanks

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
update? I have simular leak. going to track it down soon.