2013 jsw unupdate the fix?

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
I had the original ecm flashed prior to the fix. After the first trip to verify mileage I lost full 10 mpg so I am contemplating having he original ecm program reinstalled to get the mileage back as this is a 4th vehicle for trips only. Anyone tried is and were there issues that and up to consider before effecting the change. Thank you in advance.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Most people don't seem to complain about mileage post-fix, so I'd look into the condition of your exhaust system. Perhaps there's a DPF or clogged CAT you can have replaced under warranty?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
You should ignore the fuel consumption for the first tank after the emission fix. My subsequent fill ups were showing no major differences from my previous FE figures during this time of the year, winter diesel with snow tire.

These days I am doing 30% highway 70% city (my own guess), average speed for the entire tank often displays no faster than 35km/h. I just did 743km out of 52 liters of diesel and I overfilled it a bit for the first time in many years. That's not much different that what my car did during the past winters.

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Thanks my last trip was a bit over 2000 miles. I do not use this car as daily driver so I refer to the last 2k trip I took as reference. I had an O2 sensor I out under warranty told the dealership about the loss of fuel economy but they said everything else was fine. Then they pointed out that the new expected fuel economy sheet I was given after the fix shows 32 mpg and explained I was getting 20% more than factory expectations.
Thank you for the feedback.
Talon

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I onced did 1150 km (713 miles) out of a tank back when the car was newer during a winter trip to Alberta, which was around 50 mpg (US mpg). Was mostly sticking to 100km/h speed range but the car was capable of very decent fuel economy on long highway run. Highly doubt it can still reach that kind of figure since everything on the car like drive train, alignment, tires are now much older and the emission fix should in theory at least reduce the fuel economy a bit.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Just to clarify: So you used to get 48 mpg for this 2000 mile trip, and now only 38 mpg, a difference of about 11 gallons, or almost an extra tankful, under otherwise identical conditions? (32 mpg +20% = 38 mpg; 38 mpg +10 mpg= 48 mpg? Or what are the numbers?)

Last edited:

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Agree with Fastalan's comment. My first tank after the fix was not pleasant, easily a 10%+ drop in MPG. But I remember that my 2000 Passat had to relearn my driving habits after a reflash.

My 2013 Golf is right back up on MPGs where it was previous. That Fuelly number below hasn't changed in over 6 months of post-fix driving.