2013 JSW options suggestions from delaer?

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
i am building our first JSW TDI basic model without navigation/sunroof. i need some suggestions for getting added options/accessories like:

Splash Guards

TDI Mat Kit
Body Side Moldings

question is should i buy from dealer or buy aftermarket or can it be left without buying at all, pros/cons.

MY build code on vw.com is "VOST86DM" feel free to look at it and help me decide!

thanks for reading my post.
-Brian

Last edited:

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I had my dealer put the mat kit and the mud flaps on at the port... didn't want to deal with that... I don't like the body moldings but again, I would have the dealer do it since they do it all day long.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
From what I have seen the VW mudgaurds are far nicer than aftermarket and I've not seen any mats that are nicer than the VW ones either.

I'm have no experience with body side mouldings either.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Mat kit is a must (they're awesome).

Don't have either the splash guards or the side moldings, so I can't comment, though from what I remember reading the splash guards only provide very minimal protection.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I don't think you need the splash guards in AZ unless you go to Flagstaff or Preston in the winter. I also would probably get the side guards if you do a lot of parking around the geriatric population. I have the same car that gets stored in the winter,so no need for the guards. Just my take. JP

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if i didn't get the VW rubber mats for free, I would have gotten the weather techs in a heart beat. They are way way better than the VW rubber mats.

I'm just about to wear a hole in the drivers side mat, where my heal rests, which i'm impressed have lasted 65K.

jkowalski

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 6MT
The VW mats are pretty nice.
25,000 miles and only showing normal wear in the rubber - not anything excessive or "wear-thru" that my previous Toyota OEM months had.

I've never owned the Weathertech product, so I can't attest to them, but have read good things.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Splash Guards

TDI Mat Kit
Body Side Moldings
Splash guards: - both good and bad. They can hepl to keep the car clean behind the wheels, but they also add aerodynamic drag thereby hurting mileage slightly.

Mats: The Monster mats VW sells look good, but they wear out pretty quickly. Mine had holes under my heels in a year (under 15k miles). The WeatherTech all weather mats last a lot longer.

Body Side Moldings: I do not like VW's black side moldings (unless you have a black car). Do a search here for "body side moldings" and you will find that ZetaProducts sells pre-painted body colored moldings that look a lot better (IMHO).

Have Fun!

Don

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Dealer or after market ------ hmmmm -- I guess it depends if you're a DIY person with tools and into the fun of looking for and then installing these things or would you rather take it chill and have the dealer do it. I did all installs (except the side moulding trim which was orgnlly on the car) as after market from a wide variety of sources.

The wagon (2010 used / white) came with the black rubber side molding and stock thick rubber VW mats -- love the side trim molding and think it's a very sharp look, plus if you park in parking lots with little space btwn cars, those rubber strips give your door paint a fighting chance at being protected.

Installed F/R mud flaps (ebay) -- dig them a lot -- these were VW parts with part nos - solid and well made

Fogs (evey single component ebay) -- look sharp; not super useful tho in my opinion, they do dress the front up a bit -- not a terrible DIY, but it helps if you're somewhat electrological about wiring and a basic relay power circuit

Underseat Drawrs -- Drvr/Pssngr -- super easy install - sourced from various vendors...whoever had the best deal -- can't recall at the moment -- I have em both filled with stuff....

Dash Cubby -- A must for me; it's pretty roomy -- tricky install but not that hard once you've torn into the dash, realize there is no turning back and have some patience -- again, from whoever had a decent price.

Xenon Headlights -- there's a guy on the Vortex selling these things approx $600 -- they're pretty cool -- I installed myself and got a kit from the The Retrofit Source -- pretty much wanted high qlty components and the type of expertise they offer -- as I didn't want to mess around with junk for headlights -- Ed's Vortex housing are pretty decent -- I guess projectors, go/no-go depends how much nite drvng you do.

I also snagged very inexpensive roof rack cross bars from Amazon -- I only use them when I need to secure a load to the roof -- they are mostly no on the car.

I also experimented with a receiver hitch which I subsequently sold; cldn't justify it after using it on one camping trip -- it held a rcvr tray -- all in all, the hitch is not a bad install and can be sourced for around $120 shipped from a variety of vendors

---- take your choice --- good luck

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
i appreciate all of you guys! i am just going to go with body side moldings and TDI mat kit for right now.
-thanks a bunch for your inputs!
-brian

Virgilstar

Veteran Member
TDI
jsw 11
Adding to ESFlash's suggestions...

Trunk lip protector. There's an aftermarket one for about $40, but I can't remember the link. Search will find it on these forums.

Ipod connector - your choice. I went the SD card route and it works great up to about 8GB. If you have a big music collection, the ipod kit might be worth it.

The OEM roof bars alledgedly whistle like crazy. Whispbars (now owned by Yakima) are quiet and very good quality, no effect on gas mileage in my experience.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The VW Monster Mats are junk. They look tough but last about 1.5 years before you wear through the drivers mat.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
The VW Monster Mats are junk. They look tough but last about 1.5 years before you wear through the drivers mat.
is TDI mats from Dealer is the same as monster mats? if not, any better one to suggest?

thanks,
Brian

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
those monster mats are flat out amazing. I put them in the day I got my car, and my carpets are flawless.

Get the fronts and the backs

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
For the money, get the Weather Tech mats. They have better coverage, protection, and durability. Mine came with the "Monster Mats", which are pretty good, but the Weather Tech are better. At some point I will probley replace my Monster Mats with Weather Tech. I really should have negotiated the monster mats out of the deal, and had them take the $430 they tacked on the price of my car off. I could have bought weathertechs, and had money leftover!

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
I'm still debating on the molding myself. I got the mud flaps for my wife's JSW, OEM, on eBay for under $100 for all four. I also noticed a lot of new VW,s already come with the mats. Check out riversidevwparts.com. they've been offering good deals and the parts manager post on these forums.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Brian-
I do recommend the splash guards and the TDI monster mats. I was surprised that others are getting wear on the dealer monster mats, mine are exactly like new. I am a 230 lb. man, but no wear whatsoever. I did get the rear seat mats as well. I live in snow country, the mats are great, melted snow stays on the mat. I have just owned mine for only 1-1/2 years (so just one winter). Dealer put the splash guards on, I got the mats as a "gimme" from dealer. Side Molding- no experience. Personally I don't care for it; one more thing to "wax around". My car spends very little time in parking lots.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
Someone is selling the mud flaps off his 2013 JSW for $80 in the sell thread.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
Brian-
I do recommend the splash guards and the TDI monster mats. I was surprised that others are getting wear on the dealer monster mats, mine are exactly like new. I am a 230 lb. man, but no wear whatsoever. I did get the rear seat mats as well. I live in snow country, the mats are great, melted snow stays on the mat. I have just owned mine for only 1-1/2 years (so just one winter). Dealer put the splash guards on, I got the mats as a "gimme" from dealer. Side Molding- no experience. Personally I don't care for it; one more thing to "wax around". My car spends very little time in parking lots.
i need to have Side Moldings, i am seriously considering about Splash Guards now!
Thanks for your input
-Brian

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone is selling the mud flaps off his 2013 JSW for $80 in the sell thread.
i appreciate your response if you can provide me Link it will be great!

Thanks in advance
-Brian

FlatLander72

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Save Your Money....

On the mat kit. Mine are 4 months old and the drivers side is wearing through already. My JSW has 10K on it. I know I put tons of miles on it (that is why I bought it in the first place) but I think the mats should last just a bit longer that 10K.

My $.02

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
On the mat kit. Mine are 4 months old and the drivers side is wearing through already. My JSW has 10K on it. I know I put tons of miles on it (that is why I bought it in the first place) but I think the mats should last just a bit longer that 10K.

My $.02
Interesting! I have about 9400 miles on my JSW, and the Monster mat kit is near-flawless. Curious: what kind of shoes do you wear while driving? I'm in sneakers 99% of the time. I could see dress shoes tearing the mats up much quicker.

In your position, I think I'd approach the dealer and see if they will replace the worn mat under warranty. If it's wearing through after just 10K miles, I'd say that's a problem.

FlatLander72

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Interesting! I have about 9400 miles on my JSW, and the Monster mat kit is near-flawless. Curious: what kind of shoes do you wear while driving? I'm in sneakers 99% of the time. I could see dress shoes tearing the mats up much quicker.
In your position, I think I'd approach the dealer and see if they will replace the worn mat under warranty. If it's wearing through after just 10K miles, I'd say that's a problem.

I wear casual dress shoes. The soles are close to a gym shoe sole. More of a walking shoe than dress. I did talk to the dealer and they are ordering a new mat. I will be looking for a more durable solution for the long term though.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have just over 40k miles on my JSW and am seeing no wear on my monster mats. Also put them in the Golf but she only has 10K miles. I added the splash guards and the trunk liner (TDI protection kit IIRC). I have also added a waterproof mat in the back of the JSW since we do a lot of kayaking and there are times when wet (soaking) clothes end up back there. I usually leave the carpeted one on top so that I can use the velcro blocks to keep things from sliding.

I'm not that wild about how the side moldings look and it seems that most of the door damage I've gotten on my cars would have missed the molding anyway.