2013 JSW CV axle replacement estimates

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
Have been hearing a popping noise from the driver's side for about 2k miles only while turning right

Assuming it's CV related

Took it to a mom and pop mechanic and waiting for their diagnosis

assuming it's likely CV related, I can buy the part and they'll install it and charge the labor

What kind of price range should I expect?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Get a NEW drive shaft that is a GKN/Lobro unit. Nothing from China. Assuming that is what you need, OR, if it is just the outer joint, those can be easily replaced by themselves.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Another axle recommendation is getting rebuilt axles from Raxles. I have them on my S4 and can't say enough good things about them.

I think their price is around $300 not including core charge, but you have to contact them for an actual quote.

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be honest,I'm likely picking up a part from Napa or Autozone,the most affordable option

I don't have more than like 500 bucks to get this fixed

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, and for a little over $200, you can buy a brand new one.

Genuine GKN-Lobro, same as the car left the factory with. Put a parts store Chaxle on there, it'll be bad in six months. VAG products tear them up quick. VAG diesels tear them up even faster. The OEM ones are the only ones that can handle it.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Actually I just ordered passenger side axle --GKN/Lobro brand from Idparts for my 2010 Jetta. Their prices are pretty reasonable given the higher quality of the axles they sell.

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
What are the odds I need to replace the whole axle though? Obviously you guys aren't sitting here looking the car over but popping while turning is generally outer cv right?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I got mine from a pick and pull, has been perfect for over a year.

If they charge more than two hours you're getting ripped off. More like an hour (or less) for a competent shop.

Otherwise I agree with @oilhammer, cheap out at your peril. Nickle and diming yourself on this part will bite you in the (rear) end.

If you're really worried about it you could get the OEM axle from FCP Euro and get a lifetime warranty for peace of mind.

oilhammer

TDI
Popping on turns is usually an outer joint, yes. And as I mentioned above, those can be purchased by themselves (joint/boot kit) and are easy to replace, but the axle does need to come out (also very easy on these).

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
Also,off topic but I lost my wheel lock key adapter to get the tire off,can someone point me in the right direction to get a replacement that fits my car?

oilhammer

TDI
The dealers (and me) have master sets, just have them remove them, throw them in the trash where they belong, and put for new standard bolts on in their place. If your car is so equipped, you'll need new wheel bolts caps too, as those will be different.