2013 Jetta, new to me. Oil question

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
So I just bought this from a Ford dealer. Service dept indicates they changed the oil, but I couldn't get any information from them other than that they used 5w-30w (got it from O'Reilly's.) (this is up in SLC, but it's going down to SGU, where we've had pretty consistent >100F temps.)

So, I don't know if they used "Euro" or 505 spec oil.

If they didn't, will it hurt to leave it in there for one oil change interval, or should I get it out of there? (Maybe change the oil and leave the filter?)

Thanks for any thoughts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This question gets asked and answered over and over again. If you do not know, just get the correct oil and change it. No big deal, and then you'll know for sure. That car requires 507.00 spec motor oil.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
We really should have a few questions on membership signup page. Like how to not be a newbie and ask for oil types!

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
Thanks - I've studied up on the oil types and know the correct type.

The question was: if it's been changed and I don't know what type was put in it (probably straight 5-20 synthetic, or, at best 505.01), would it hurt (perhaps excessively) to leave it in there for an interval, or should I get it out ASAP.

@oilhammer provided a succinct answer - I'll get it out.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The wrong oil for one change cycle WILL NOT destroy any engine or effect it in any way. If it is habitual, it could shorten the life of an engine. I suggest you stop sweating and enjoy your new ride.

God, I hate it when they say "oil".

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
For the engine, I tend to agree. However, my experience with diesels is the engine is never the weak point - it's all the stuff around it that tends to break down.

In particular, for this question, is the DPF, and maybe the turbo - I don't know how fast a "normal" oil will cause those to deteriorate. One oil change, ten oil changes? Plus, the latest recorded oil change I can find for this is 17k miles ago (other that what the dealer did when it came in.)

I think it's best to start off on the right foot and insure it has the "right stuff" inside - sort of a "reset".

As @oilhammer points out, it's not a big deal.

@rocky raccoon - are you seriously in Beaver Dam?

Thanks for input.

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
Ah. There's a Beaver Dam, AZ just 28 miles from where I live (in Saint George, UT.)

It's a pretty tiny town, hence my surprise...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dude isnt that the point of a forum for TDI`s...... questions that need to be answered
Yea sure. Totally. Among sharing what we did to a conversion, a mod you need some help with, and so many other topics.
What oil should I use is a question that sould be answered by you taking 5 to look up here on the forums.
3 ways to get roasted
1: "what oil do I use?"
2: "How can i roll coal?"
3 "look at my new cold air intake and rims I got from Ali express"

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Unfortunately these cars require 507. spec (ultra low ash) due to the emissions equipment. It's not catrostrohic to run 505 for a short period but it's not advised because it is not good for the dpf.

For those of us who can, and are deleted. We can run oil that is better designed for the needs of a diesel engine, which is also cheaper. So the dpf is the only reason why 507. spec oil is used. As far as I know. I have only seen 0w30 and 5w30 meeting the 507. requirements.

cpedvle

TDI
2013 jetta sportwagen
Unfortunately these cars require 507. spec (ultra low ash) due to the emissions equipment. It's not catrostrohic to run 505 for a short period but it's not advised because it is not good for the dpf.

For those of us who can, and are deleted. We can run oil that is better designed for the needs of a diesel engine, which is also cheaper. So the dpf is the only reason why 507. spec oil is used. As far as I know. I have only seen 0w30 and 5w30 meeting the 507. requirements.
Thanks for that info.
I bought this car and the dealer receipt says they used 0w/30.... but every single thing I`ve read says 5w40
And.... not only that I read on this site theres a few diesel mechanics who have stated DO NOT USED the vw recommended Castro Syntec!!??
Another guy says he uses Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40 (that is the same oil I use in all 3 of my first gen cummins trucks.......

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for that info.
I bought this car and the dealer receipt says they used 0w/30.... but every single thing I`ve read says 5w40
And.... not only that I read on this site theres a few diesel mechanics who have stated DO NOT USED the vw recommended Castro Syntec!!??
Another guy says he uses Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40 (that is the same oil I use in all 3 of my first gen cummins trucks.......
The t6 is 505 I believe. They have released a 0-30 507 oil. And I don't know if there is a 5-40 that is 507. Of you have tour emissions system perminantly fixed t6 is fine. But if it's stock. 507 spec must be used. The rotella is what vw used for years because they had a contract with them. But as long as it's certified oil and has the 507 approval. Your good to go. I had posted a 507 approved oils page. But it's a bit out of date.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Heh, all these years later, the Oil Wars rage on.... LMAO.
Yeah. I know right. As long as it's a certified oil and has the correct spec. Who cares. So once my emissions system is fixed I'll run t6.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The t6 is 505 I believe. They have released a 0-30 507 oil. And I don't know if there is a 5-40 that is 507. Of you have tour emissions system perminantly fixed t6 is fine. But if it's stock. 507 spec must be used. The rotella is what vw used for years because they had a contract with them. But as long as it's certified oil and has the 507 approval. Your good to go. I had posted a 507 approved oils page. But it's a bit out of date.
T6 is NOT VW505.00 . In an ALH , T6 IS an acceptable oil since it meets at least CG4.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
T6 is NOT VW505.00 . In an ALH , T6 IS an acceptable oil since it meets at least CG4.
Been awhile since I had looked. That's why I said think. Because I couldn't remember. As I said. Once my emissions system is perminantly fixed. I'll be running t6 as it's a diesel specific oil. And is cheaper. Either way. It's that person's vehicle.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
DevineChaos Yes that's correct. i too would love to use something like shell rottela T6 but cant not that it will harm my TDI's engine in anyway. but i cant because its equiped with a DPF emmision filter wich is why i ONLY use 507.00 spec oil in my 2012 TDI like (5w30 Liqui Moly, Mobile1 esp) i bought a jug yesterday of mobile1 esp on sale $35.00 Canadian Pricing by the way, going to use it in 2 weeks. i have read many members on here that own the same vehicle as mine or the Golf TDI haveing DPF emmision trouble issues. that i have never ever experienced and i think the key problem can be traced back to what there using as far as "Oil spec & maybe viscosity & doing too many short distance driving" ? many will take short cuts on costs and use the wrong spec oil or do too many short distance trips. or a combination of both wich is the wrong way to mantaine & run these TDI's.