2013 Jetta, new to me. Oil question

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
So I just bought this from a Ford dealer. Service dept indicates they changed the oil, but I couldn't get any information from them other than that they used 5w-30w (got it from O'Reilly's.) (this is up in SLC, but it's going down to SGU, where we've had pretty consistent >100F temps.)

So, I don't know if they used "Euro" or 505 spec oil.

If they didn't, will it hurt to leave it in there for one oil change interval, or should I get it out of there? (Maybe change the oil and leave the filter?)

Thanks for any thoughts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This question gets asked and answered over and over again. If you do not know, just get the correct oil and change it. No big deal, and then you'll know for sure. That car requires 507.00 spec motor oil.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress)
We really should have a few questions on membership signup page. Like how to not be a newbie and ask for oil types!

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
Thanks - I've studied up on the oil types and know the correct type.

The question was: if it's been changed and I don't know what type was put in it (probably straight 5-20 synthetic, or, at best 505.01), would it hurt (perhaps excessively) to leave it in there for an interval, or should I get it out ASAP.

@oilhammer provided a succinct answer - I'll get it out.

rocky raccoon

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The wrong oil for one change cycle WILL NOT destroy any engine or effect it in any way. If it is habitual, it could shorten the life of an engine. I suggest you stop sweating and enjoy your new ride.

God, I hate it when they say "oil".

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
For the engine, I tend to agree. However, my experience with diesels is the engine is never the weak point - it's all the stuff around it that tends to break down.

In particular, for this question, is the DPF, and maybe the turbo - I don't know how fast a "normal" oil will cause those to deteriorate. One oil change, ten oil changes? Plus, the latest recorded oil change I can find for this is 17k miles ago (other that what the dealer did when it came in.)

I think it's best to start off on the right foot and insure it has the "right stuff" inside - sort of a "reset".

As @oilhammer points out, it's not a big deal.

@rocky raccoon - are you seriously in Beaver Dam?

Thanks for input.

rickbsgu

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan 6spd
Ah. There's a Beaver Dam, AZ just 28 miles from where I live (in Saint George, UT.)

It's a pretty tiny town, hence my surprise...