2013 Golf AC output

Tfinn

TDI
2013 Golf DSG
Has anyone else experienced weak AC output in the 2013 Golf diesel? Is there anything that the dealership might be able to do to improve it, or is it just the nature of the beast?

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Part nature and I think part black interior. Once it's good and cooled down, it maintains temp easily. Getting to that point takes awhile vs a lot of cars though.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
My JSW ac sucks right now if is pretty weak most folks here who have has AC issues blame the RCN valve, my car is on its 2nd summer and the dealer says it needs a new AC condenser, I am gonna try the valve route as I am out of warranty but if in warranty take it to the dealer good luck < a new AC compressor runs about a grand BTW

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
Improving initial cool down

I've seen a number of posts concerning weak AC performance. Since I live in Central Texas I use the following methods to cool the car quickly.

1) Shade - park in it!
2) Windows - roll them down to flush out the built up heat.
3) AC setting - on start set at normal AC, then move to max cool, then roll up the windows.
4) Set back to normal AC as the cabin cools.

The biggest problem I encounter is a heat soaked cabin when I can't find a shady spot to park in.

I just returned from a 1600 mile trip. The wife was cool and comfortable the whole trip.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Get a ceramic tint!!
Best money I've ever spent! Keeps out all the radiant heat, well most of it... It is truly amazing!!! Drove through the desert on low AC!!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I've seen a number of posts concerning weak AC performance. Since I live in Central Texas I use the following methods to cool the car quickly.

1) Shade - park in it!
2) Windows - roll them down to flush out the built up heat.
3) AC setting - on start set at normal AC, then move to max cool, then roll up the windows.
4) Set back to normal AC as the cabin cools.

The biggest problem I encounter is a heat soaked cabin when I can't find a shady spot to park in.

I just returned from a 1600 mile trip. The wife was cool and comfortable the whole trip.
#2) I leave my door open while I crank it, start the AC, and roll all 4 windows down. Then I drive about 50 yards at slow speed before I roll them back up. On an exceptionally hot day I'll open the hatch for a while before I do the rest.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
recirculate

like above.... roll windows down to get rid of extra heat but once moving and windows up i keep the recirculate on all the time. Seems to give me colder temp. faster

poweredbytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
For me it was an issue with the blending door. Move the temp from hot to cold when new to get the mixing door operating well. Your mileage may vary...

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
It seems to be weak, I guess the black interior doesn't help either, but even so still seems way slow to cool. It was my first and only complaint about the car. I've checked with a thermometer and it regularly blows at a consistent 40 degrees like it's supposed to every time I check it (night day hot cool humid whatever). So I guess it's just what we have to live with.

Coorsleftfield

TDI
2012 Golf
I live in Phoenix where AC matters probably more than anywhere else in the country. My 2012 Golf TDI AC totally rocks. It's the strongest AC I've ever owned in a car. My last car was a 2007 Subaru outback and it took much longer to cool that car down, I almost never took the AC off max during the summer. There have been several times I've had to take the Golf off the max AC setting here in the summer, that is a first.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
AZ native here, and aside from cooling a car thats been in the sun all day, the AC is more than enough to keep me cool. Only time my AC sees max cooling is when the car has been parked outside all day in the sun when it's 100+F.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Get a ceramic tint!!
Best money I've ever spent! Keeps out all the radiant heat, well most of it... It is truly amazing!!! Drove through the desert on low AC!!
^^^^ This. A buddy of mine lives in Spain and I have visited him during my vacation. He's got LLumar AIR 80 on all the windows including windshield. The film is clear. According to the specs, this particular film blocks more heat that a limo dyed to metal based film. If you compare it to a darker ceramic, it's similar to 60% tint. Going darker on ceramic, of course wins.

Coorsleftfield

TDI
2012 Golf
Get yourself a grill thermometer and insert it into one of the vents using some duct tape to hold it in place. Figure out what the difference in temp is between what the AC is blowing out vs what it is down by the floor area. You should see about a 20 degree drop in temp coming out of the AC.

I'm assuming your AC fan blows strong just like every other AC fan. I shut off my rear AC vents when no one is riding back there just to have more cool air blasting out up front.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Get yourself a grill thermometer and insert it into one of the vents using some duct tape to hold it in place. Figure out what the difference in temp is between what the AC is blowing out vs what it is down by the floor area. You should see about a 20 degree drop in temp coming out of the AC.

I'm assuming your AC fan blows strong just like every other AC fan. I shut off my rear AC vents when no one is riding back there just to have more cool air blasting out up front.
20 degree delta T would be very conservative, in my opinion. The Passat has done as much as a 40 degree delta T in MAX AC mode. Very impressive.

Dim Sum

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT Tech 4 Door, 2011 F-350
My 2012 Golf has the weakest A/C I've ever owned. I would hate to be the back seat of this car....and there's nothing wrong with the system. My guess is the system is undersized with a lack of appropriate CFM through the system.

My 2011 Superduty has amazing A/C...which is a requirement in AZ or where I am (Vegas).

Coorsleftfield

TDI
2012 Golf
20 degree delta T would be very conservative, in my opinion. The Passat has done as much as a 40 degree delta T in MAX AC mode. Very impressive.
You're right. Just for grins, I measured mine on the way to work. My exterior temp was reading 96 degrees, and the AC was blowing cold at 40 degrees. That is huge. The AC in this Golf rocks. I'd encourage you guys with AC complaints to do this simple test.