2013 Beetle loses power randomly

Carol LM

TDI
2013 Beetle
Hey community, first post for me. Been lurking for a while trying to find the solution to the issue I have been having with my beetle. Figured I might as well post and see if anyone can offer any suggestions.

I have a denim blue 2013 beetle TDI 6 speed with 50,000 kms. I absolutely love the car but since I have owned it over the last 2 years, it randomly loses power. I will pull into traffic, I begin to accelerate and all of a sudden the car loses power. My foot is on the accelerator pedal and not matter how far I depress it, the car does not respond, causing the car to slow down. I have to depress the clutch, take it out of gear and then put it back into gear to get it to respond. For reference, it does not matter what gear it is in. Also I will note that I have driven standard my whole life, so I know how to properly use a clutch.

The following is a list of some of the work that has been done by VW
Full brake service and replacement
Fuel filter
ECM, battery and fuse/relay block were removed and all connections were check as well as all grounds connections (Terminal 30 relay was discovered to be faulty)
New battery

There are no codes displaying when my car loses power and I have also not been able to replicate it for any of the technicians unfortunately because it happens randomly. Did not happen for 3 months. Then happened 3 times in a week.

As far as I can tell, it does not matter what the weather is nor where or how I am driving. It is completely random.

According to VW they have checked everything that they can and are not sure what could be causing the issue.

I’m beginning to believe that my beetle might be a lemon and that I will never be able to solve the issue with it.

Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Does it stumble when it looses power? If yes, ask someone to remove the hose going to the passenger side of the intercooler and see if there is any water in it. My 13 beetle had a couple incidents of stumbling on hard acceleration in summer 2019, then in january 2020, ended up with a frozen intercooler (there is a thread in the jetta and also jetta wagon forum) after draining 2 cups of water, it acts like a different car, much better acceleration, no more stumbles. I drain the hose every 5000 miles.

Carol LM

TDI
2013 Beetle
Thanks for the reply.

No there is not any sort of stumble.
It just feels like the throttle is unresponsive no matter how far I depress the pedal.

Yesterday my radio shut off twice when driving, which hasn’t done since the wiring harness was checked.

Could it be the wiring harness causing this as well? As stated VW previous removed it, checked all connections and grounds.

Thank you