2012 Treg TDI LUX engine faults

Danrweaver

TDI
Jetta
I am trying to buy a 2012 Touareg TDI Lux from our credit union. It's a repo with 86k miles on it, and may have a few issues. I put my OBDeleven computer on it today and found numerous faults even through the CEL was not on. Most of the faults are simple, like light bulbs burned out. However, there were several faults from the engine section that concern me:
  • Fuel Rail/System Pressure-to low
  • Turbo/Super Charger underboost
  • Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration . . .
  • SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Under Threshold.
Any idea what the likely issue or issues might be? Would a plugged DPF possibly cause all of these issues? It is overdue for a fuel filter change.

I haven't driven it yet, but plan to do that tomorrow. It does run normally.

Also, if the DPF couldn't regenerate, wouldn't there be a warning light on for that?

I am a VW enthusiast and own 2 Jettas and a Tig, but this is my first experience with a Touareg and the 3.0 TDI. I am familiar with the 1.9TDIs

Any advise or suggestions are appreciated.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Low battery can cause a host of faults. A full VCDS scan is usually asked for so all the details can be seen as well. Usually you would clear all of them and see what returns. The next question is, is it covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty? If so you should investigate having VW fix that stuff under warranty. A regen won't occur if the dpf is overly full. Fire hazard.

Danrweaver

TDI
Jetta
Thanks for the replies. It has been maintained by a VW/Audi dealer and has had the major 10K/20K checks done on schedule with the exception of the 80K check which is now 6k overdue.

A couple people mentioned a low battery. I don't know if that happened, but several of the other codes support that idea as well (implausible signals for switches or sensors). The other thing that you mentioned that is very helpful is the extended emissions warranty. I was not aware of that. That gives me a bit more comfort in buying it as is.

I'm going to do more digging today.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is the warranty but read it and know it if you plan on trying to use it. Some people have had great luck with it and others not so much. Get a copy and find out if it is covered or not. Or just ask the dealer about it and see what they say. A lot depends on the customers attitude as well. Go in with a bad attitude and you probably will have many issues and rejections. Go in with trying to get them to help you and you may have better luck. Good luck and report back your experiences please.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Dealers won't honor the warranty if you don't already own it and the "faults" just happen to you.... make sure you look into it first.
Lots of us have experienced issues trying to get dieselgate coverage when showing up with a CEL on before we registered for the fix, etc.
I had to eat the cost of a pressure sensor in order to get my "compensation" funds because it was considered a "pre existing" condition....... even though it was a component that was\is covered under the fix warranty.

There's a website where you can run the VIN to see if it's under coverage. You can also ask a dealer to run the VIN.
If it's already registered, any fuel system\DPF issues will be covered.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
One more thing..... did you start it? Does it run? If so, a CEL should be present for those 4 errors.
I'm not familiar with OBD11, but if you can find someone with a VCDS to scan it for you, it will give you all sorts of details about those errors, pending regens, ash\soot levels, etc....... I'd say spend the coin and get yourself a cable as it will quickly pay for itself especially when dealing with a situation like this.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or there is a list here of those who have the tool and are willing to scan for you. Check that list for someone near you. There is a person in Wichita that is a tdi mechanic. He should have one.

Last edited:

Danrweaver

TDI
Jetta
I did confirm that it does have the extended emission warranty. It drove great. I put a normal odbII reader on it and it only had one pending code for SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Under Threshold. I haven't cleared any codes yet since I don't want to lose my bargaining chip when we start negotiating. I suspect most of them are nuisance faults, probably from low battery. I've seen that with my Tig.

Everything else seemed good excepted I noticed a little cupping on both drivers side tires (almost new tires). Not too bad, but enough to hear it when driving. I have had problems with that on my Tig with 18" wheels. Never figured out why it does it. Shocks, alignment are good, but started very quickly after installing new tires. Have to rotate the tires frequently and switch sides to keep it under control (tires have nondirectional tread . . . ).

Do the Touareg a have problems with your wear? The tires are Toyo (19").

Thanks!