2012 Touareg Oil Fill Level VCDS IDE00151

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
Does anyone know what the correct min and max range is for the 2012 TDI 3.0l oil fill level. I am getting a add oil light after a oil change. VCDS readout IDE00151 says that my level is 57.2 mm after engine was at running temp and turned off for 656 seconds. I can't find any published value for what the level should be or at what level the fill oil message is triggered. Is there a chart to compare the level to equivalent oil volume?

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
What's the RNS readout show? How much oil did you put in?
I believe that IDE00152 should have the threshold value stored, but I don't know of a reference chart... you could compare to what others see.
You'll need a Gauge - Oil Gauge Tester - T40178 if you want to check using the dipstick tube (assuming you have one installed)

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
The full story.

I took it into dealer for an oil change. They didn't install the drain plug/gasket properly and the car leaked oil including a big spot on my driveway. Add oil light came on and I brought it back for them to fix.

They recognized the bad drain plug and said they fixed it and added the right amount of oil. They said the light would go off after a drive cycle.

The light didn't go off so I brought it back. At first they said it just needed some oil and said it was good. After pushing further they took another look. I never got an answer for why it needed oil a third time but now they say the light wont go off because the wire for the hood latch is cut.

For some reason mine does not give me a level indication when I go to the service button. Not sure why it doesnt show up like others I have seen online. It may be related to the hood latch sensor issue. The dash screen is telling me to add no more than one quart of oil.

So I don't have the normal level gauge on the infotainment screen. I have no faith the dealer put the right amount of oil in the engine or ever checked the level. I have no dipstick to check. Only the vcds readout with no reference to whats correct.

I was confused by the IDE00152 readout. It gives a different reading. When the engine was running I checked the level twice. It gave 37.080 mm. With engine off it gave a different number either 32.xxx or 33.xxx. All below my reading but I was getting add oil light not oil warning so perhaps these are to different things.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So much wrong with this story.....

So, if the add oil warning wasn't there prior to the butchered oil change, the dealer needs to fix it.... whatever it takes.
This cut wire for the hood switch... was it cut before you took it in for an oil change? If so, did you have a low oil warning light before?
To me it sounds like you lost enough oil to trigger the warning, and then the sensor failed (possibly due to overheating - but VCDS should report this if the sensor failed) due to the lack of oil and the idiotic dealership advice to just drive it around until it goes away.

I'd raise hell with them until they fix it, unless you want to replace the sensor yourself, etc. but based on the fact that you had the dealer change your oil and listened to them telling you to drive around with a low oil warning active, I'm going to jump to the conclusion that you're not going to tackle this kind of fix yourself.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, if your hood switch\wires are broken, that would mean that you have an "open hood" displayed on your MFD.... is this true?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One last thing... if it's your sensor that crapped out, it should come up on an AutoScan as a malfunction. To me, everything indicates that you are simply low on oil. I'd dump the oil and fill it with the proper amount if no failed components are reported by VCDS.

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
Well, I will try not to be too insulted because its fair. I will be fixing the sensor and will not take it back to the dealer.

I don't know if the sensor worked before the service. It is in the close position in failed state. There has never been an oil warning light before they screwed it up. I don't believe the sensor has failed. The hood sensor open/close requirement has been noted in other places. After the last service the levels are 54 mm running and 68 mm after resting for 10 minutes with warm engine. The level increased 11 mm from the service.

Original questions remains. What is the parameter for the 2012 Touareg TDI 3.0L engine oil min max level.

Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can check my 2014 when I get to it in the event that it provides an idea... it should be similar.
I wouldn't replace the sensor as it's reading, so it can't be broken.... how else would VCDS be getting the values you're seeing?
I strongly recommend simply adding oil until the warning goes away. I would also locate the hood switch wires (should be on the side of the latch), but trace it down to where they are cut) and simply completing the circuit in order to fool the system into thinking that the switch has been activated. This should allow your RNS to display the oil level again. Does your receipt say how much oil they put it or anything like that? How about when you went back the 2nd and 3rd time? Did they add 1/2 qt, 1 qt, 4 qt, etc?

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
Thanks for the reply. They only listed the original fill amount but dont have the paperwork on me.

I found another touareg owner on the rosstech forum and his was at 64 so I feel pretty good with holding the level.

I did find the latch switch and broken wire. Looks like one wire is pulled out of the switch. Kinda weird. I am gonna have to pull it out to have a closer look. Hopefully rigging up a jumper for the wires will work.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I've said this before,but why in the name of God doesn't this engine have a simple dip stick? Give me a brake,dip sticks have been around for a hundred years and are fool proof. It must be a German thing about controlling your car. Bah Humbug

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because most drivers don't know what it is, where to find it, how to read it, etc. A $25 sensor that will trigger a warning and get you into a stealership for a few $$$ service is much more desirable if you're VW.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I hate to say it,but you are probably correct. Anyone over 50yrs old does know what a dip stick is because that was all there was in the "old" days when you actually opened the hood of a car. LOL. I was a grease monkey as a kid.

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
I have solved the issue with my add oil notification. To continue from my post above. I pulled the piece of the grill off to access the hood latch screws. I removed hood latch screws so I could get access to the little switch. One of the wires was broken off right at the switch. I cut the wires off to remove the switch. I connected the two wires to jump the circuit. This cycled the hood open signal. Went I and started the car. No more notification! As a temporary measure I added a couple wire connectors opened ended so the wires were covered and not connected to anything. I can jump it this way if needed. The circuit should be open when hood is closed.

This confirms that the add oil notification requires the hood latch switch must indicate a hood open hood close before the light is reset.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So can you see the level indication in your service settings in the RNS850 now?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, if your hood switch\wires are broken, that would mean that you have an "open hood" displayed on your MFD.... is this true?
I guess this answers my previous question, and that your MFD was actually never showing you that the hood is open instead of what I was suggesting above.

jesseday2

TDI
2013 Touareg tdi lux
Thats right. The switch makes contact when the hood is opened so if its broken the computer will think it is closed. This never really stood out as anytime the hood was opened the car was off or I wasn't looking at the display. Thinking back, I never had the oil gauge on the RNS but until now didnt know it was supposed to be there. I believe the switch has been broken since I bought it.

The problem with this switch is that if broken it could lead to a owner over filling the oil. The initial indication may be true that you need to add oil but it will keep telling to add more if the switch doesnt work. The switch issue also prevents the oil level gauge from showing. So the owner can't see the oil level and is repeatedly told to add more oil. I am struggling to understand why they would program it like this. The only way to confirm is aftermarket dipstick or VCDS computer interface.

Bottom line is if you have an add oil light. Go ahead and add oil once (determine cause of low oil) but check if your hood is showing open on the instrument panel. If its not showing open than VW engineering is about to screw you up.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm quite surprised that the dealership couldn't identify this issue.... oh wait.... they are mostly clowns.... never mind.

loganddplus

TDI
Jetta
I have a 2014 Touareg TDI. My wife took it to have a water pump changed. 1 day later oil light came on and said to add 1 1/2 QTS. I took it to the dealer to have them look at it. I called BS on the oil level since I just changed the oil before it went in for work. You are dead wrong on a $25 sensor. The sensor is $275 plus $275 labor to put it on. I told the tech the oil was full. He brought out a "Oil gauge tester set to a Touareg TDI motor" (It was identical to a dipstick.). The tube is in the front of the motor in the center under the cover and has a pull plug. Inserted the dipstick and the oil was at the max. So if you follow the computer you will overfill your engine. The Oil gauge tester (dipstick) had a price of $175 yes no **** for a dipstick. I took measurements from it and will use wire rope and solder a mark for low and max. I really miss the days the dipstick was in the car not in the White House. Sorry I'm over 50 and out of patience. Meanwhile my 2001 Ford Excursion with a 7.3L powerstroke starts and runs with no issues.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
7.3, now there's a motor! I have had 2 6.0 3/4 tons. Switched to a 14 Touareg TDI. Amazon sells a stick you can buy. Touareg is not on paper sheet. I just go off of Porsche 3.0 TDI. Same thing. Also you have to factor in cold vs. hot oil. In my trucks i always filled to the middle of hash to compensate for the oil when warms up. I have had goofy readings as well but not to the point of "add oil" comes on. Every other tank refill i will open the hood and close just to reset the oil sensor. To get a new reading and go from there.