2012 Sportwagen TDI - Low rumbling when coasting/ deceleration

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Taking over maintenance on my Mom's car now that my Dad has passed. It's a 2012 with 129k miles on it and I noticed the other day when coasting in gear/decelerating there is like a low rumble coming from the passenger side I believe. Any guesses what this could be? Do the U Joints go bad on these cars?

See post 10 for an update with some vids

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I had this in my 2009. Didn’t fix it because I was doing the buyback.

We (me and my mechanic) suspected it was a bad wheel bearing. Likely damaged from a high speed incident with a pothole on I-5 which also bent one of my wheels.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So if you take it out of gear and coast the noise is gone? Also try turning the motor off and coasting (safety first!). These steps should help rule some stuff out.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So if you take it out of gear and coast the noise is gone? Also try turning the motor off and coasting (safety first!). These steps should help rule some stuff out.

Hmm good ideas, I'll give that a try.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just replaced the dirver's cv axle on my jsw but don't drive it enough to know if it made a similar sound. Have you checked the rotars? If it's not being driven enough, they will rust and pit and drag when braking until the rust gets ground off. Might be that you have rust/junk build up around the calipers. I know I can hear dirt build up on the disk brakes on my bike.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Update:

Pushing in the clutch does seem to have some sort of effect but it seems to still do it. I've really been able to get it to do it more often when the car is warmed up, in 4th or 5th gear, coasting and decelerating in gear and making a slight right turn. The slight right turn definitely triggers it or makes it worse. I took off both front wheels and nothing is obvious or loose but take a look at the videos and let me know what you think.

Noise on decel:

Passenger side CV (Drivers side does this too) when on jackstands and no wheel, using hand to rock back and forth.