2012 RNS510 radio/nav boot loop and loud popping sound from all speakers.

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Dear all,

Has anyone experienced this?

Could internal temperatures be an issue in the RNS510 unit?

Thanks

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Well the firmware update didn't help.
When I hit the dashboard with my hand it makes the unit fail.
When I remove all fasteners and built everything back and hit my dashboard again there is no issue.
When I remove the unit while still connected to the car, and slap my hand on the unit, there the unit fails.
When I slap or wiggle the connectors at the back of the unit, everything functions as well.
Any ideas?

Opening the unit now checking for loose solder connections

Last edited:

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan

Hard disk side seems to be the issue, which is placed vertically.

Also the power supply part is not touching the heat sink. No cooling paste either. Hence 75 degree celcius

Last edited:

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
I've re-soldered everything i can solder and added heat sinks to chips that get warm, added thermal paste. Re-assembled.
AND VOILA nothing has changed. Still the same :mad::mad::eek::oops::rolleyes::unsure::poop: issue.
The temperatures have improved, 20C cooler than before.
So I've ordered some freezing spray, and I'll freeze the whole thing and power it up and see where there might be a short or bad solder joint.
to be continued.

o.b.

TDI
Passat 2009 CR 125kW (CBBB)
Any progress with this issue?

I have exactly the same problem with my Passat -09 retrofit RNS510 :mad:

I have ordered 2 "new" Power supplies from aliexpress and they should arrive in few days.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Just quit screwing with investing on trying to fix what is defective and get you an aftermarket. Like this one here on amazon.
Im planning to get it and pull mine out because its showing symptoms of failing as well. After 20 minutes of using mine the music gets weaker, and then cuts out playing at a very low level no matter how high you turn it up. So i just leave it off.

https://amzn.to/2V0Ho66

There are 3 different models.
The first one is well reasonably priced ($106), you may have to get an wire kit if factory harness does not match with radio.
This radio says it supports
- Bluetooth
- Wifi
- Rear Camera / Video Input
- Steering Wheel Controls
- Should have google play store
- Navigation should be google maps

It also looks as if it will fit due to screen bezel shape. Should be a super easy install plug and play.
Hopefully this helps!

Update: Since this supports bluetooth, if device has google play?
You can also get an OBD2 bluetooth scanner connect it to OBD2, get the app from google play installed on radio.
So you can see other gauges such as Boost level, fuel mapping, check engine codes and more.
I think this would be a neat idea to do for my car. You might like it too.

https://amzn.to/377oIao

Last edited:

o.b.

TDI
Thanks for a hint but giving up is not an option for me 🤣 Perhaps you have heard about Finnish sisu...

I have similar working RNS510 (+ 2 LCD ones) and I will continue swapping parts until I find the fault. But I will start with switching power supply/amp as they should arrive by Friday.

I have heard nothing good about those cheap Chinese android radios, only complaints. Poor radio reception, no RDS or Traffic Info, poor microphone for calls etc. What comes to OBD2 diagnosis, I have original VCDS HEX NET from Ross-Tech for those purposes.

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Any progress with this issue?

I have exactly the same problem with my Passat -09 retrofit RNS510 :mad:

I have ordered 2 "new" Power supplies from aliexpress and they should arrive in few days.
Hi no luck yet.

In my case the unit goes mad when hitting this part. My soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough to remove the metal casing around the 2 boards.

I would like to get to the bottom of this as well. SISU!

I doubt these chinese knock offs support a "full" option car. (360 side sensors and what not, automatic parking)

Last edited:

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Just quit screwing with investing on trying to fix what is defective and get you an aftermarket. Like this one here on amazon.
Im planning to get it and pull mine out because its showing symptoms of failing as well. After 20 minutes of using mine the music gets weaker, and then cuts out playing at a very low level no matter how high you turn it up. So i just leave it off.

https://amzn.to/2V0Ho66

There are 3 different models.
The first one is well reasonably priced ($106), you may have to get an wire kit if factory harness does not match with radio.
This radio says it supports
- Bluetooth
- Wifi
- Rear Camera / Video Input
- Steering Wheel Controls
- Should have google play store
- Navigation should be google maps

It also looks as if it will fit due to screen bezel shape. Should be a super easy install plug and play.
Hopefully this helps!

Update: Since this supports bluetooth, if device has google play?
You can also get an OBD2 bluetooth scanner connect it to OBD2, get the app from google play installed on radio.
So you can see other gauges such as Boost level, fuel mapping, check engine codes and more.
I think this would be a neat idea to do for my car. You might like it too.

https://amzn.to/377oIao
If there is one for max 300 euro that supports it all I might be interested (360 sensors etc.) . But still would like to repair the original unit for when I sell the car again.

o.b.

TDI
Perhaps you should try this Original Power Amplifier board FOR VW RNS510 LED series LCD series Navigation Board Radio Board|DVD & VCD Player| - AliExpress

It might be problem with your RNS510 amplifier and that spare might solve your problem :unsure: Not that expensive trial.

The actual power supply seems to be on the radio/navi board.

o.b.

TDI
Sisu rules, I got it fixed! After few hundred gentle knocks with W-GERMANY screwdriver handle I managed to locate the problem. After re-soldering everything there the problem was gone and no more rebooting ;)

I think the problem was with PIC16 (44 pins) and it's soldering's. I did visual inspection with stereo microscope but couldn't find any suspicious there. So I re-soldered everything there and problem could no longer be re-produced. I did same for some of the surrounding components just in case.

https://i.ibb.co/K60W6xM/RNS510-radiopcb.jpg

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Sisu rules, I got it fixed! After few hundred gentle knocks with W-GERMANY screwdriver handle I managed to locate the problem. After re-soldering everything there the problem was gone and no more rebooting ;)

I think the problem was with PIC16 (44 pins) and it's soldering's. I did visual inspection with stereo microscope but couldn't find any suspicious there. So I re-soldered everything there and problem could no longer be re-produced. I did same for some of the surrounding components just in case.

https://i.ibb.co/K60W6xM/RNS510-radiopcb.jpg
Hahaha W-G Screw driver made me laugh out loud!
Great news Mr. SISU!
CHAPEAU!!! I applaud!
I'll order that Power Amplifier board.
Re-solder the parts you've described!
I'll report back in about 2 weeks.

o.b.

TDI
You might not need Power amplifier, I didn't change mine since spare came 2 days after I fixed the radio.
Good luck with your repair :cool:

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
You might not need Power amplifier, I didn't change mine since spare came 2 days after I fixed the radio.
Good luck with your repair :cool:
Bit of a late reply. Thank you once again. We re-soldered everything marked in your photo and it hasn't errored yet. (y)(y)(y)

But now my airbag light is turned on after reinstall media system. ODB doesn't show any errors. Ugh...

Edit: it's probably my panoramic roof drain, I guess it was clogged, freezing weather disconnected it. Got water leak inside car, airbag wet. Funny it always happens when you're working on something else and you start questioning yourself haha

Last edited:

o.b.

TDI
Bit of a late reply. Thank you once again. We re-soldered everything marked in your photo and it hasn't errored yet. (y)(y)(y)
Good that you got it fixed too (y) Mine has also been working well after fix.

We did this together! Let's hope that this will help others with similar problem.

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Hé great to hear/read back from you. Good that it works. I'll make a youtube vid for it. So it can be found. Want credits displayed?

o.b.

TDI
Sure, why not. I might even share my collection of Made in W-Germany mini screwdrivers :cool: Some of them from early 70's i guess.

I'll be in touch...

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
Sure, why not. I might even share my collection of Made in W-Germany mini screwdrivers :cool: Some of them from early 70's i guess.

I'll be in touch...
Great, I have some to be restored as well :) I'll share the progress 😁

We ran out of FLUX so we used CANDLE WAX, OLD SKOOOL

PIC16

Last edited:

TiguanBoom

TDI
Tiguan
After doing the rns510 fix by O.B. and reinstalling: all speakers sounded like they were blown up. Over amplification.
I've bought an ODBEleven and it showed an amplification error (forgot to make screenshot) and I reset that, all speakers sound normal again.

Cleared the airbag code and it didn't come back. Low voltage on the battery error.

BKA

TDI
VW Sharan
Hey guys,

thanks to you all! Resoldering has also fixed my issue.

Radio is working now since a weeks without any issues.

have a great weekend!

o.b.

TDI
Hey guys,

thanks to you all! Resoldering has also fixed my issue.

Radio is working now since a weeks without any issues.

have a great weekend!
Great that it helps others too!

You too, have nice weekend

Stuartb3502

TDI
Golf mk6 GTD & Scirocco TDi 170
Hi. Not sure my symptoms are quite the same, but saw reference to PIC16 as cause elsewhere. The screen and sound on mine are flicking on and off (i.e. unit is working, but going on/off constantly even when only displaying the clock).

Mine works for a few minutes and then starts playing up, so I’m guessing it’s a joint expanding perhaps. I have checked the capacitors as best I can. All checked out although one looks very slightly suspect so will replace.

Just wondering if either of you can offer any tips as to how to resolder this IC? I have soldered lots of wires and connectors and the occasional dry joint on a larger capacitor. But wondering what equipment is needed for this fine SMD stuff?

Guessing I may need a temp controlled soldering station?

Is it just a case of applying flux and melting each joint to let it reflow?

Hadn’t heard of Sisu before, but like the concept :). I would certainly like to fix an expensive unit if possible. Looked at alternatives, but the cheapo Chinese ones are all compromised (no RDS, no climate display) and my RNS drives a high end system through a processor. I spent a lot of time tuning the sound based on the RNS.

Also just nice feeling to repair stuff which has a small issue. Thanks.

o.b.

TDI
Hi, you definitely need temperature-controlled soldering station and/or flux + temperature controlled hot air soldering station.

I am using Metcal SP200 soldering station with 0.4mm SSC-745A soldering tip and Velleman VTSS210 hot air soldering station.

I have also Nikon SMZ645 stereo microscope but that is not needed if you have better eyes than I have 🤓

Good luck with your repair!

Stuartb3502

TDI
Thank you. I got my temp controlled soldering station yesterday. Might need to get a microscope of some sort as big magnifying glass doesn't cut it for the really small stuff.

But at the moment I'm struggling even with the through board power supply caps. Struggling to fully melt old solder (side where iron touches melts, other side of pin doesn't).

New tinned tip, flux paste added, various temperatures tried (up to 400C). Will try other tips, but there's no pad on the back of the PCB to heat so I'm just trying to heat the solder on the cap's lead.

May try a solder with lead also as have had better results resoldering in the past with that.

o.b.

TDI
It is also possible to buy main board from aliexpress for almost decent price. I guess you have led display? Main boards are different for lcd and led displays. If you end up in ordering main board from China, you need setconfig cable and program to make it compatible with UK.

Stuartb3502

TDI
Hi. Yes that will be my next step if I can't fix.

Do you mean the board with Pic16 on? I call that the radio board. Or did you mean the one on the bottom of the unit?

There is a guy with some radio boards for sale here so I can check.

I think if I can't get one here I'll buy a secondhand unit. A few for sale at the moment.

Glad you've told me that the Aliexpress boards will not be compatible easily. I didn't know that and hadn't heard of setconfig before.

I managed to get the power caps soldered in the end and retested the unit. No change. At least I didn't kill it :)

So time to try resoldering pic16 which should be... interesting.

Stuartb3502

TDI
So.... I had one try resoldering the PIC16 and some of the surrounding components using the tips that came with the new soldering station. Struggled to see what was going on with just a magnifier and also couldn't access some pins due to closeness of components.

Replaced in the car and it seemed OK on the first day on a couple of shortish journeys. Went wrong again the next day.

I bought some finer tips (supposedly 0.35mm). Using an indicated temp. of 350 deg C (but no idea how accurate the solder station is), I had much better success. I applied no-clean solder everywhere first. I could see the solder on the pins immediately go shiny. Only a very short time on each pin.

I tried to cover the area TiguanBoom's picture as best I could.

So far it's working fine on several shorter (<30 mins) trips and a slightly longer journey of about an hour yesterday. Still not enough to be sure it's fixed, but thought I'd report back to say a big thank-you for the help and the info.

Caught a quick, not very good, video of the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l4mlafzoadc1e6/RNS510problem.mp4?dl=0

Sorry - can't embed as media as it's not loaded on an approved site.