2012 Passat TDI

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Who knows......maybe until they come out with a passat wagon....then i talk the wife into getting one of those to replace her gas guzzling van.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
How difficult is it to buy a car in Canada and then bring it to the US? My brother brought his car back from Germany when he got out of the army but had to do alot of emission work to get it registered here in the states. Would it be a PITA bringing a TDI from Canada?
It depends on whether VW's willing to let you. If they are, all it will be is a letter from VW saying that it meets FMVSS, and maybe having a US-spec instrument cluster installed. If not, then you're looking at the cost of a whole 'nother Passat to have a registered importer look over it and convert anything that doesn't meet US standards, plus, with no letter, you have to get the NHTSA to say that it meets crash safety standards, or crash 10 of them.

Even with a letter, though, it would likely be cheaper to buy a DSG-equipped US-spec car, buy the manual transmission and all conversion parts, pay someone to swap it, and sell the DSG trans to someone who wants it as a replacement.

mnm2008

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
So cannot get options on a 2012 TDI Passat with a 6 Speed Manual? I tried the configurator and at the end i see a base head unit and a steering wheel which is missing all the right side buttons?? (For that matter the DSG version also does not have these buttons). Weird.. What exactly does VW not offer on the TDI Passat?

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
The Passat is a rather ugly car from the outside. But, at least it's not hideous like so many current designs. And, VW really needs to add a green to its color line -- and not a boring olive either. It seems like every car maker is offering the same boring colors. Even the light blue, which is the best one I think, is too washed out...

I want a Lupo 3L.