2012 Passat TDI water temp question

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Recently did a stage 2 Malone engine and DSG tune along with the delete. The car is now running at 204 temp at idle and when cruising ( depending on how much load is on the motor) 210-225 temp on the scan gauge. I also had the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed at the sametime. Just wondering what stock temps are and if these are normal temps with a tune? I would not have thought a tune would affect my water temps so I am leaning toward a faulty new thermostat or possibly radiator issues from the flux that is now blocking many of the Passat heater cores. Ive had the scan gauge in since the car was new but for the life of me cannot recall what the stock values were during idle and driving. Any and all thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks
Donny

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Both my (traded) 2012 and 2014, stock everything, ran between 204-206f, during a regen 2012-2014f.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Thanks Tdiatlast!

So both at idle and regardless of the terrain u maintained 204-206f? I'm seeing those numbers at idle but up to 230f at cruising speeds....

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Also seeing my dashboard dummy gauge move up to 195-200 under heavy hills which I know I never saw before.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Recently did a stage 2 Malone engine and DSG tune along with the delete. The car is now running at 204 temp at idle and when cruising ( depending on how much load is on the motor) 210-225 temp on the scan gauge. I also had the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed at the sametime. Just wondering what stock temps are and if these are normal temps with a tune? I would not have thought a tune would affect my water temps so I am leaning toward a faulty new thermostat or possibly radiator issues from the flux that is now blocking many of the Passat heater cores. Ive had the scan gauge in since the car was new but for the life of me cannot recall what the stock values were during idle and driving. Any and all thoughts are appreciated!!
Thanks
Donny
I have stage 2 and deletes on my 12'. Usually runs anywhere from 206 to 215. sometimes 218 on Hills. Measured with scan gauge. Just replaced the heater core and no change in running Temps. These cars run hot I don't believe they run a 190 thermostat although they've set up the dummy Guage to lead you to believe that. I seem to remember mine being that hot stock too

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
My stock 2013 has been running 209-211 on the freeway at 2400rpm.
I see as high as 218 during regens.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
My car runs hot on a regular basis. I had it checked multiple times and VW said no issue. So far it has not been an issue. Nearly 80k miles. I see temps around town that will hit 220ish during a regen.

When I climb the mountains I hit 230+ every time. Highest temp I've hit is about 237*.

I don't like it and I know it's a computer thing because in the summer of I have the a/c going and ambient temp is higher I will see my temps hit ~230 and then then the temps will suddenly drop like a rock to low 200's. During the climb.

I can't explain it and neither can VW techs. So I gave up fighting it.

gwalter

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
2014 TDI SE 6MT for me. I see ~ 206 when just riding around town etc. Standard everyday driving type of thing. On highway cruising at 72 it sometimes rises to perhaps 213 or so. A couple times in winter when ambient temp was 5-10F degrees I was climbing a long highway hill (not steep.. just long) and it hit 230 (the "dumb" stock dashboard gauge moved off of 190 too). On that same hill in the summer when it's hot outside it doesn't reach 230F. So, the computer is doing things I don't fully understand. I just watch it, scratch my head and keep going.

gwalter

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Agree it's normal. The temperature peak in my situation(s) was interesting in that it peaked higher on those extremely cold days vs a hot summer day with the AC on, on the same road at the same speed. I do expect temps to rise when under load like that (have had a few diesels) just was interesting I saw the worst ones on the coldest days in this car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Are these engines' coolant fans running at a higher speed when the A/C is on? I too have noticed a coolant temp drop when I turn the A/C on.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Diesels just run better at a higher temp..... all you gas converts are worrying over nothing..... My Ford truck had a 190* 'stat in it from factory. Then it also ran low... 185 usually. Installed a 200* 'stat in and runs MUCH better and fuel mileage when up slightly too.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Thanks to all who have replied to my thread!

On this day we celebrate called Thanksgiving I would just like to say thanks for this board and its great members. I cant even begin to imagine how much money and time is saved through the sharing of knowledge. Even more important than that is the fact a group of people can come together from all walks of life and take time out of their days to help others!!