2012 Passat TDI gets 43 MPG?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The engine isn't identical to the 09/10 Jettas. The oil fill cap is on the driver's side.

so what you're saying is it's not identical?!?!?!

BTW i heard something about a water to air intercooler vice air to air intercooler. So the passat beast is not identical to the CJAA or CEBA. Only thing that seems to be similar is the displacement.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
If they were to build this thing in a sportwagen body style, with the TDI, a 6M trans, and the 18.6 gal tank, sign me up. A back seat with legroom and and upgraded stereo system? Sign me up! I'm willing to to concede a little mileage (39 highway or greater) and let the sticker float close to 30K. HPFP issues or not, I'd buy the dang thing!
+1

A "PSW" anyone? ;)

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
If they were to build this thing in a sportwagen body style, with the TDI, a 6M trans, and the 18.6 gal tank, sign me up. A back seat with legroom and and upgraded stereo system? Sign me up! I'm willing to to concede a little mileage (39 highway or greater) and let the sticker float close to 30K. HPFP issues or not, I'd buy the dang thing!
+2. And, I have friends in Harleysville. Say, "Hi!," for me! :D

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
i am guessing the better ratings come from the better torque curve and drag coefficent. The new passat has peak torque of 236 from 1500-2500, all JSWs and golf tdis have 1750-2500. However the new passat weighs 3400 lbs vs 3000 for a golf. I would say real world mileage would come in higher than a JSW (gearing and aero reasons) and lower than a golf (weight reasons).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It'll be interestind to comapre highway gearing and RPMs and which one works better, I can't imagine the mill spinning much less than 2000RPMs at 70 as on the current 2010+ 6 MT. Granted the DSG could use better gearing for HWY MPGs.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
It's really simple.

With urea injection, the Passat is not dumping valuable unburned fuel down the exhaust pipe to clean the DPF like our Golfs do.

I can only imagine how good my mileage would be without that process. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have proof it doesn't have a DPF? hell, show me any retail deisel on the road sold in 2012 that doesn't have one. Cause i'm sure the EPA would love to see a 2012 diesel with out one!

Urea just modifies the NOx system, to make it more effiecent, we'll never buy another diesel without a DPF that sees the highway.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
You have proof it doesn't have a DPF? hell, show me any retail deisel on the road sold in 2012 that doesn't have one. Cause i'm sure the EPA would love to see a 2012 diesel with out one!

Urea just modifies the NOx system, to make it more effiecent, we'll never buy another diesel without a DPF that sees the highway.

Sure it has a DPF. It's just not using the Golf method to keep it clean.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how else do you clean a DPF? I don't believe there is a second fuel injector post turbo, that's found on the 2011 Ford and GMs, to perform an active regen of the DPF. I want to say the passat uses an active regen via post combustion injection to get the EGT temps up.

Granted the Passats new NOx trap is part of the SCR system that uses less heat (fuel) with the urea then the NOx trap used in the Jetta/Golf/JSW, that's where the fuel savings is found.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
As for the title of this topic, one Passat TDI gets 43 MPG EPA highway: The SE trim manual.

All other Passat TDIs are rated 30/40.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
If they were to build this thing in a sportwagen body style, with the TDI, a 6M trans, and the 18.6 gal tank, sign me up. A back seat with legroom and and upgraded stereo system? Sign me up!
The wagon is not due until next year.

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Going to test drive the full spec TDI SEL at the dealer tomorrow. MAYBE put in my order for the 6spd manual (would be my first new car :eek:). VW almost got me with the JSW TDI, but while it was a blast to drive, just a bit too small for my tastes.

If my 6' 2" self is comfy up front and my daughter can't kick the back of my seat while strapped in the the car seat, will probably pull the trigger!

Will report back.....

WEC4104

TDI
-
I hope meowguy's comment about a Passat wagen next year applies to the U.S. I keep looking at the fairly tight back seat of the JSW, and then look at my rapidly growing three sons. The middle one is 14 and entering ninth grade. He is 6'2" 200 lbs, with a size 14 shoe, and still growing. The 11 year old is on a pace to be even larger. We do have a minivan in the family, but I'd hate to have the back seat room always force us to take it, instead of a TDI model.

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
Wec4104 have took the new passat for a test drive? If so what do you think about the size. I am in a similar situation I have three growing boys 5,3 and a new born. I am in need of a larger vehicle right away and I am considering purchasing the new sedan passat. if it was an available I would purchase the wagon model today. I just hope I don't regret the sedan.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
The wagon is not due until next year.
There will be no wagon next year or any other year...VW has formally stated they have no plans to introduce a Passat Wagon in the near future:(

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Just put in an order today for Tungsten Silver / Beige interior 6 spd. manual!! Dealer said around mid - September delivery.

For anyone looking, the car feels really solid and has massive amounts of space. I'm 6'2" and after adjusting the driver's seat to my long legs, I got in the back and had about a foot between my knees and the back of the seat. That is not exaggeration, it really is that big in back.

Trunk is huge, and the 60/40 split gives even more space. Also, the width is notable. It doesn't feel like you are pinched into the seating areas as the door panels are recessed.

Climate controls are simple and display on the touchscreen as you adjust them or the heated seats for more clarity. Really a nice touch. Dash display and controls are about the same as any other late model VW.

Fit and finish was good on the demo (an SE 2.5). Everything on the interior was very nice at eye level, but got a bit cheaper as you went down to the lower dash and door panels. More like a Japanese car, which certainly isn't bad, just not quite as high-end.

Anyway, can't wait!!!!! Will give first impression of the 6speed model when it comes, although I'm sure somebody will take delivery before me......