2012 Passat TDI - Exhaust Flap Extended Warranty

Chomas

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my experience in dealing with this issue, it was not a pleasant one. I have a 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium and I received the diagnostic code P048C (Engine Exhaust Flap) the other day at 44,000 miles. I called my local dealer (who shall remain nameless) and they told me it was covered under the extended warranty, so I made an appointment and brought my car in.

Then when I got there for my appointment, another worker tells me that it was not covered for the 2012s and that I would have to pay to have the work done. Something seemed fishy to me so I called Volkswagen of America, and explained the situation to them, and the girl on the phone tells me no, its not covered and I would have to pay. I tried to reason with her, but she was short with me and I got nowhere.

Fast forward to later that day (yesterday) and I find a thread on the Jetta TDI subforum here with respect to this issue. I then call the dealer and give them the info, and after they searched several of their own sites, they realize that I was correct and that the repairs to the exhaust flap should have been covered, and they agree to do the repair at no cost to me.

I wasted half a day, and VW of America still has the incorrect info on their servers so be warned. I sent them a nice letter about all this, not that it will do any good, but just be warned. It seems VW of America does not always get the updated information from Germany, and so you need to be careful. I almost spent a bunch of money here, but thanks to you guys I won't have to.

Otherwise I have been really happy with my car, but this situation sucked. This part has an extended warranty for '09 through '12 Passat TDIs of 10 years or 120,000 miles FYI.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I'm glad you were able to get it worked out. What would the cost have been if it weren't covered?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Its almost like health insurance. You have know what you're covered for, have proof of it, and show it to the bozos who should know what you're covered for. Not only do you have the lead the horse to water, you have to force it to drink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chomas

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Salsaman yep you got it, and the attitude I got from VOA was the thing that pissed me off the most. I just wonder how many people out there got screwed by VW. I sent a letter telling them they better reimburse anyone that got charged. If it wasn't covered it would have been around $800, not a cheap bill at all. The part alone is like $375 bucks I believe. You can find it online for like $250 or less, so I would have just done the work myself, but you have to be careful because there are parts holding it on that are expensive to replace if you damage them.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Knowledge is power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chomas

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Its technically part of the exhaust system I believe.

Quick update - VW of America called me a few minutes ago and apologized for the mistake, and they are sending me a check for $100 because of the inconvenience. That was a stand up thing to do, not so bad now that I'm actually making money off the repair, heh.

craigpaul2000

TDI
2001, TDI jetta, silver...2006 TDI Jetta, White (SOLD)......2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, Blue
I have this same problem

Same code: P048C. 2012 Passat TDI SEL 105k miles

can someone share the link to the part?

And perhaps a youtube video for the DIY repair?

Thanks in advance.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Here is the part number my dealer gave me last November for the Exhaust Flap valve; 1K0253691G. "G" is the latest rev, some reputable online parts places are still saying the earlier revs are the most current, that is not the case. I bought mine at 1st VW Parts, price is presently $177.12. You should change the gaskets, you can reuse the clamps. If you look under your car, it is in the exhaust system just before the rear axle. It just plugs in, takes an allen wrench to loosen the clamps. The angle of the clamps makes it a pain to get the allen wrench into the socket head. I just wedged a few chunks of wood between the body and the exhaust to move the exhaust pipe over a bit making it easier to get the allen wrench in place and turn it. Just behind the exhaust flap valve is the NOX sensor, if you pull on the wire for the sensor too much you can break them... that is a $400 parts alone repair, so be careful of those wires.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I found it easier to use a short torx bit and 1/4" wrench on the bit's hex section to loosen the clamp bolts. My car did not have gaskets. About one hour job including cleaning, lube, and exercising.

craigpaul2000

TDI
2001, TDI jetta, silver...2006 TDI Jetta, White (SOLD)......2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, Blue
Yup, same situation. 5mm allen head bit and a 1/4" open end wrench. Had to pry the clamps off a bit but they came free easy enough. Yup, valve was sticky. sprayed with some lubricant and cycled it by hand a couple hundred times. cleared the code and good as new now. I think I'll keep the ordered part from IDParts ($230) because this will surely stick again the day after I send it back. :)

Thanks all for the help

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Yup, same situation. 5mm allen head bit and a 1/4" open end wrench. Had to pry the clamps off a bit but they came free easy enough. Yup, valve was sticky. sprayed with some lubricant and cycled it by hand a couple hundred times. cleared the code and good as new now. I think I'll keep the ordered part from IDParts ($230) because this will surely stick again the day after I send it back. :)
Thanks all for the help
Check the part number from IDParts, last I knew they were selling an older rev of the valve. They were selling rev D and the latest rev is G.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I figured I would check it out and clean it once myself. If a failure occurs again before 100k miles I will see the dealer and make a strong case for it being a warranty item under federal emission standards.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Got my old one back from the dealer that changed mine out. A little lubrication and I have a spare now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Check the part number from IDParts, last I knew they were selling an older rev of the valve. They were selling rev D and the latest rev is G.
Don't necessarily go by the part numbers on our site. We have to choose numbers that (a) customers may search for; and (b) what suppliers stock parts under so we can order from our site low stock list. Often we don't post later PN supersessions to try to reduce confusion. When a customer looks at a part in his or her car and wants to replace it, they tend to search for the number on the part they have, not what's happened since the car was assembled.

With this PN I'm not aware that there are improvements in the part with different suffixes. The PN suffix can change for many reasons, some as simple as a supplier or country of origin change. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. Not sure about the exhaust flap.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I pulled the valve out after an oil change today (50K miles). 5mm allen bit with 1/4" ratchet wrench, and a small pry bar to pop the clamps off. Removal and installation wasn't very difficult. Ground clearance is the biggest obstacle. Ours was actually very clean and didn't seem to be sticky or hard to move at all. I sprayed it down with AC Delco heat valve lubricant and worked it several times, then reinstalled. Unless we get a fault code I probably won't pull it out again until the 100K mark.