2012 Passat TDI: "Crack" sound behind dash

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
We've now heard a nasty "crack" sound 3 different times, coming from behind the dash, at the base of the windshield.
Each occurance was while accelerating or decelerating (I guess "loaded" drivetrain?), going over a large expansion crack. The sound occured simultaneously with the tires smacking the crack in the road.

The first time it happened, everyone in the car freaked (my wife asked if I had hit something), as it sounded like a stick had fallen near the windsheild.

There are no other indications of a problem...no rattles/vibrations of any kind.

Any thoughts? Is the possible the dash is improperly installed? I'm really baffled by this one.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I think you may be hearing the steering assist. I did a hard acceleration and the traction control kicked in as well as the brakes or anti lock brakes, not sure what all and heard a sound like this.

I read something about the traction control features and that the steering is now controlled as part of this as well. It was in the manual in the section about traction control, something about the DSP Plus system or something new like that.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I am wondering about a sound I heard tonight. Under a full throttle start on a slightly wet surface, the car took off crossed the painted intersection/crosswalk lines and then the ESC or some other system kicked in and cut power.

Then the engine kicked in again and there were several large clunk sounds that sounded like the old days with rear wheel drive on high HP cars and the bars attached to the axle would hit the frame (I cannot remember the right name for them).

They had rubber on the one end and were supposed to contain the rotation of the axle from all the torque.

Is this a thing associated with transverse mount versus longitudinal mounted engines? The motor mounts giving way? Torque protection bars?

Anyone know?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This doesn't sound like a suspension clunk. It sounded more like plastic getting hit with a hammer, maybe like the dash assembly not being properly secured to the "firewall." (Don't know why I put "firewall" in quotes...with th DPF getting upwards of 1300f, the term is once again very appropriate!)
Sadly, in order to duplicate it again, I have to abuse the car and find a pothole to smack...

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I am wondering about a sound I heard tonight. Under a full throttle start on a slightly wet surface, the car took off crossed the painted intersection/crosswalk lines and then the ESC or some other system kicked in and cut power.

Then the engine kicked in again and there were several large clunk sounds that sounded like the old days with rear wheel drive on high HP cars and the bars attached to the axle would hit the frame (I cannot remember the right name for them).

They had rubber on the one end and were supposed to contain the rotation of the axle from all the torque.

Is this a thing associated with transverse mount versus longitudinal mounted engines? The motor mounts giving way? Torque protection bars?

Anyone know?
Don't know but mine did the same thing last week when I accelerated too hard on some wet pavement. Scared the heck out of me. Made me very quickly back out and put less foot into the throttle.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm... I think I know what traction control sounds like, but maybe not. My sound doesn't match that.

I'll say again, in every case for me, the "crack" was quick, percussive, and like a hammer hitting plastic. The sound occured when hitting an expansion crack, square on, both tires at the same moment.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Slapper bars, or traction bars...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OP here. My car is an early production (5/2011). While at the dealer today for its state safety inspection, I decided to check out the dash integrity of other production Passats.

In my car, if I grab and gently push/pull the dash where it arches above the steering wheel, I can hear the dash creaking/rubbing against the Fender trim piece that runs along the dash at the base of the windshield. It doesn't sound loose, but definitely is creaking/binding.

The 2 new Passats I checked did NOT make any sound when I tried to make the dash shift.

The dealer has offered to install a sound deadening kit, which he said is simply strips of foam tape between the 2 dash components. This would require some disassembly of the dash, which I'm not very happy about.

Can anyone tell me how the trim at the base of the windshield attaches to the main dashboard? How complicated is it to remove, so some foam tape can be placed between it and the dash?

Thanks. I continue to be VERY impressed with the service I'm getting at Stohlman VW (Jack Smith, service advisor) as they're very attentive to my requests.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd go ahead and have them install the kit.

Rajpatel1969

TDI
2012 tdi passat sel
Heard this creak or crack but mine came from the fender speaker raised bar just in front of the windshield. If you press down on his bar on one side, you might be able to recreate it. It's a hard plastic creak noise.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Raj, that's where the noise is coming from (see post #8 above), where the Fender trim contacts the main dash. Dealer has offered to add foam tape between the two parts.

Rajpatel1969

TDI
2012 tdi passat sel
Raj, that's where the noise is coming from (see post #8 above), where the Fender trim contacts the main dash. Dealer has offered to add foam tape between the two parts.

Mine is a April 2012 production car. Guess it's still being unresolved. What is the scope of effort to fix it? Foam tape by removing dash? Forget it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine is a April 2012 production car. Guess it's still being unresolved. What is the scope of effort to fix it? Foam tape by removing dash? Forget it.
That's my question. How difficult is it to remove the dash trim below the windshield? If it's a "no-brainer", I'll do it myself. However, if it requires major dis-assembly of the entire dash, I'll probably just learn to ignore the sound.

When I return home from our vacation, I'll probably experiment with bits of foam tape and a plastic "trim" tool. I'll try to push small strips of foam tape between the dash trim and the dash itself.

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm having the same issues. I think you can pop the fender piece out. I tried this morning before leaving work and was able to pry the ends up where the Fender label is. Simply push up with your thumb.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm having the same issues. I think you can pop the fender piece out. I tried this morning before leaving work and was able to pry the ends up where the Fender label is. Simply push up with your thumb.
Shapiro just posted on Vortex that it comes out exactly as you said. He didn't remember how many clips, or what shape, but says it's a simple remove, as long as you're careful not to scratch the trim, or break a clip.

I'll take a look at this after the 13th, when I return home. If it feels flimsy enough to break, I'd rather have the dealer do it, if they'll let me watch. I'll bet they've not done one yet!

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
This bit of trim has been getting noisy on our car (coming up on 2000 km), but seeing as the car is in next week to get the headliner replaced (raw edges showing over the front doors) and the dealer thinks they'll be replacing the windscreen to do the headliner, fixing it for us shouldn't be hard.

Yours
Vern

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Add me to the list of those with the creaking dash. 2k miles.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
So thank you HPA TDI mount as they didn't want to work on it because finding the sound as compared to stock it just not possible. The HPA TDI mount makes a lot of cabin noise even just at idle. I also dropped my car off for a 20k service and didn't wait on it so I wasn't able to point it out.

I would rather not have my car taken apart unless I am there or it is me taking it apart.

I totally agree with the dealership I modded my car and it is my responsibility.

They did a great job on my 20K service.

I hope someone watches and posts how to fix this issue. I am sure it is simple to fix.

edsiajb

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I've got the creak/cracking dash sound...especially noticeable on rough roads (which we have plenty of). Too, the rear shelf rattle has become much worse....waiting on my 10k service to have these issues fixed.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The trim simply pulls off. Getting it out from between the A pillars was more tricky than pulling it off the dash. I removed the speaker grilles first, they simply pull off as well (start on the inside corner closest to you).

Here are some pictures with the trim removed:

Big picture showing the trim. You can see the little tabs that engage the clips.

-J

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
16 clips? Is that what I'm seeing?

...so much for VWoa "cheap" design! This looks seriously "over-engineered"...and it STILL crack/creaks?

Thanks for the photos, compu. Phone call incoming...I need to borrow/watch some of your expertise!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yup, 16 clips. (plus the 2 on each speaker grille) If yours is creaking I bet some very thin foam tabs would keep enough force on it to keep it quiet.

-J

edwinstar100

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
cracking plastic noise

Almost a year, observation: it seems changes in AC and outside and usually first thing, but not always, in the morning, temperature (I think) triggers the cracking noise, the photo of the window trim and its removal somewhat confirms this, did it correct the problem after you made adjustments under the trim piece?

Heard this creak or crack but mine came from the fender speaker raised bar just in front of the windshield. If you press down on his bar on one side, you might be able to recreate it. It's a hard plastic creak noise.

edwinstar100

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Krakow! My cracking sound only happens when I turn either the fam or the thermostat (they are electronically linked) Cracking like crazy, and the car was not on, and it was cold. It is not heat related....now I am worried, it seems like some device is hitting something intermittently, or catching on something....please help, anyone. Thanks, E-star

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
doesn't sound like it's related to the dash trim thermal creaking/cracking of the earlier NMS Passats. This thread is about noise coming from on TOP of the dash, not internal.

edwinstar100

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The cracking sound is a plastic gear in the heating system that is missing some teeth, the part has been ordered and will be installed under warranty, it has gotten way worse over its first year. E-star , thanks everyone who had a thought!