2012 passat tdi 02E Dsg removal

Ktrain2k18

TDI
2012 CR 2.0
So I've looked everywhere and I've found nothing but conflicting answers, my flyeheel is not happy with life currently and I'm trying to figure out if I have to drop the subframe to remove the dsg?

Amy help would be appreciated

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do, because it is super easy and makes the transmission come out without any trouble.

I take the whole shebang down, steering rack and all.

Center the steering wheel, remove the lower cover on the steering shaft down low on the firewall/floor, then remove the pinch bolt from the coupling, slide the coupling up and off the pinion. Only goes on one way, no need to mark anything. DO NOT allow the steering wheel to turn now that it is loose!

Lift the car up, remove both front wheels.

Working under hood: remove air cleaner, battery, battery tray

Remove steering harness from fusebox, ground wire, and control connector (it is the harness running through the holder furthest to the inside of the car.... you'll see it). Roll the harness up and shove it down below the master cylinder area (it will come out with the assembly).

Under car: remove upper sway bar links from struts, remove outer tie rod nuts from carrier and pop them loose, remove roll mount attachment bolts from bottom of gearbox (the mount will come out with the assembly), remove exhaust hanger bolts from subframe, remove nuts from ball joint plate studs from each control arm (3 per side).

Now all you have to do is remove the six big bolts from the subframe to body, one on each side above the control arm area, four across the back (keep track of where they came from, as some cars use different lengths in different spots).

Now the WHOLE assembly (subframe, steering rack, control arms, sway bar and links) will come straight down and out of the car.

Now you have loads of room to R&R the transmission (which is cake easy on the DSG... no torque converter fasteners!).

Note: you can just unbolt each axle from the gearbox, and swing and turn the struts with the outer joint still attached towards the rear of the car and tie them up out of the way... no need to totally remove them.

Also: there is a bellhouse bolt inside the starter area, accessible after the starter is removed.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Just did this 2 week-ends ago and removing the subframe made the job not bad at all. I do recommend using a transmission jack as the DSG is big and heavy, I also used a ratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack, Also the trans jack makes dropping the subframe a piece of cake.

Ktrain2k18

TDI
2012 CR 2.0
I do, because it is super easy and makes the transmission come out without any trouble.

I take the whole shebang down, steering rack and all.

Center the steering wheel, remove the lower cover on the steering shaft down low on the firewall/floor, then remove the pinch bolt from the coupling, slide the coupling up and off the pinion. Only goes on one way, no need to mark anything. DO NOT allow the steering wheel to turn now that it is loose!

Lift the car up, remove both front wheels.

Working under hood: remove air cleaner, battery, battery tray

Remove steering harness from fusebox, ground wire, and control connector (it is the harness running through the holder furthest to the inside of the car.... you'll see it). Roll the harness up and shove it down below the master cylinder area (it will come out with the assembly).

Under car: remove upper sway bar links from struts, remove outer tie rod nuts from carrier and pop them loose, remove roll mount attachment bolts from bottom of gearbox (the mount will come out with the assembly), remove exhaust hanger bolts from subframe, remove nuts from ball joint plate studs from each control arm (3 per side).

Now all you have to do is remove the six big bolts from the subframe to body, one on each side above the control arm area, four across the back (keep track of where they came from, as some cars use different lengths in different spots).

Now the WHOLE assembly (subframe, steering rack, control arms, sway bar and links) will come straight down and out of the car.

Now you have loads of room to R&R the transmission (which is cake easy on the DSG... no torque converter fasteners!).

Note: you can just unbolt each axle from the gearbox, and swing and turn the struts with the outer joint still attached towards the rear of the car and tie them up out of the way... no need to totally remove them.

Also: there is a bellhouse bolt inside the starter area, accessible after the starter is removed.
Have you ever done it without a lift? Just recently moved and the new house is without one for the time being...

Ktrain2k18

TDI
2012 CR 2.0
Just did this 2 week-ends ago and removing the subframe made the job not bad at all. I do recommend using a transmission jack as the DSG is big and heavy, I also used a ratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack, Also the trans jack makes dropping the subframe a piece of cake.
What jack did you go with? I've honestly only ever used class 8 Jacks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never done it without a lift, sorry. Been doing this professionally since long before the DSG was even a thing.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
This is the jack I used. I got it on sale for $135.
Worked fine, I also used a ratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack.

Ktrain2k18

TDI
2012 CR 2.0
This is the jack I used. I got it on sale for $135.
Worked fine, I also used a ratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack.

Did you also have to remove the subframe? If so did you do it on the ground? I'm trying to figure out if I can do it on stands or not sorry

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yes, I removed the subframe and did it with the car on jacks stands, used the trans jack to lower the subframe to the ground.
I had jack stands at all 4 corners so the entire car was off the ground.

Ktrain2k18

TDI
2012 CR 2.0
Yes, I removed the subframe and did it with the car on jacks stands, used the trans jack to lower the subframe to the ground.
I had jack stands at all 4 corners so the entire car was off the ground.
awesome thank you, that was my main concern! If I may ask, What was the reason you pulled yours?