2012 Passat road noise

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
What size are the Hankooks? 17? 18? If they fit my car I would buy them in a heartbeat.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Passat has larger overall diameter tires than a G/J. 215/55-17. Odd size shared with such other oddities as Chevy Volt, among others.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Passat has larger overall diameter tires than a G/J. 215/55-17. Odd size shared with such other oddities as Chevy Volt, among others
Sent you a PM

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
How have people gone about trading in their tires? Do you do it at the dealer, or head over to a tire shop and do it there?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
How much do you lose by trading out like that?
In order to calculate the loss I would need to know how much I paid for the Hankooks as part of the vehicle purchase. From that amount I would need to deduct the $200.00 I was given for the trade.

I can't imagine VW giving more than $50.00 for the whole set.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Hankooks get the worst rating for noise, trading mine in this weekend for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4's that just became available this month at DT.

Passat has the Optimo H426 from the factory.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

I don't have a Passat, i have a jetta tdi. but I do have a bmw 525i with the goodyear comfortread tires which are rated #1 in this chart in the 17", 255/45 size. I can say that they are very good tires and are are quiet. good grip wet or dry and good stability around corners with good feedback and confidence in high g turn. they don't give up traction all at once but give little subtle hints that you are starting to approach the limits. a bit of understeer and extra noise when cornering close to the limits. I have also run them at a higher than normal pressure of 45psig with no ill effects after about 5000 miles at that pressure. that extra pressure also helped my mpg figure of almost 2 mpg better.

so if someone is looking to ditch their Hankookie tires, the good year assurance comfortread are great and indeed, worthy of a well rated tire from tirerack reviews.

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
"V" vs. "H" speed rating

Darrelld: I have the Primacy MXM4's on my 2009 Jetta. Absolutely love them. Trading car in this week for 2012 Passat TDI 6sp SE.

The OEM unpleasant tires have a speed rating of "H". As far as I can tell, in our OEM tire size, the MXM4's only come in the "higher" speed rating of "V". Is this what you have purchased? How do they feel? I'm debating between the Primacy MXM4's "V" speed rated vs. the Primacy MXV4's "H: speed rated.

Hankooks get the worst rating for noise, trading mine in this weekend for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4's that just became available this month at DT.

Passat has the Optimo H426 from the factory.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Darrelld: I have the Primacy MXM4's on my 2009 Jetta. Absolutely love them. Trading car in this week for 2012 Passat TDI 6sp SE.

The OEM unpleasant tires have a speed rating of "H". As far as I can tell, in our OEM tire size, the MXM4's only come in the "higher" speed rating of "V". Is this what you have purchased? How do they feel? I'm debating between the Primacy MXM4's "V" speed rated vs. the Primacy MXV4's "H: speed rated.
I also have the Primacy MXM4s on my 2010 Jetta, my experience with how they performed pushed toward buying a set for my Passat.

I did bump the speed rating up to V from H on the Passat Primacy MXM4's (thats all thats available right now) and I notice the turn in is now more responsive. Ride quality is about the same, road noise from the tires is non existent.

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
H speed rating not available in Primacy MXM4's

Yes, of course the "H" speed rating is fine. The issue is that in our particular size Michelin is only making the Primacy MXM4's in a "V" speed rating. Some of us are in love with that tire.

Matthew

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
V is fine also, if that is all you can get without paying a lot extra for it.
I am a primacy fan also.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I had the Continental DWS installed this afternoon in the stock 215/55-17 size. My daughter should no longer say "CHOO CHOO TRAIN" when we drive over a mildly grooved stretch of our commute. Hankooks have been relegated to riding the pines, under my tirebench in my garage.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
It's really too bad that a new car owner should have to pay for new tires also. That makes good tires an option that you can't get from the factory...

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Yep, it would have been nice to have these from the factory but in fairness, the DWS are ultra high performance all-seasons, along the same lines as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, not the type of tire found on other cars in this class.

fluidpower11

TDI
2012 passat td- sel
Passat road noise

Does anyone know how to contact someone at VWOA who will replace the Hankooks on my 2012 Passat? I really want them to pay for the swap.

Also..... When running the high speed V-rated tires (V-rated is the high-speed, right...I get them mixed up) you will probably not get a long tire life. Maybe only 30k. The higher speed tires are made to grip but they wear our faster.

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Today I swapped out my Hankooks for Michelin Primacy MXV4s in the 215/55-17 size (H rated). I would say the handling is better but the change in road noise is not night and day.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
My biggest beef with the Hankooks was traction (both dry roads and on snow). I found they tended to amplify road noise as opposed to being loud on all surfaces. On smooth roads, the Hankooks seemed about as quiet as the Conti DWS but on concrete and even mildly grooved pavement, the Hankooks were MUCH louder. I wouldn't have swapped them out if they were merely loud but the lack of snow traction made them a no-go here in PA.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Road, wind, and tire noise seem to be characteristic of more recent VWs. My '06 Jetta had significantly more wind noise around the a-pillar, and lots more road and tire noise than my '02. It had Bridgestones. The loaner SEL Passat TDI we had this summer was louder than the '06, and the tire noise was sensitive to road surfaces. My '12 Golf has less wind noise, but again tire noise, while less than the Passat, is sensitive to road surfaces. The Passat had 18" Hankooks, the Golf has Contis. Going back and forth between my wagon (Michelin Pilot A/S) and the Golf, the noise differences are significant. The wagon has much more engine noise, the Golf more road noise. The Golf is quieter overall, however. And my 18 year-old M-B is quieter than all of them.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I had the Continental DWS installed this afternoon in the stock 215/55-17 size. My daughter should no longer say "CHOO CHOO TRAIN" when we drive over a mildly grooved stretch of our commute. Hankooks have been relegated to riding the pines, under my tirebench in my garage.
Good luck with the DWS tires. I had a set on my MKV (225 45 17) and although they handled fantastic in all conditions, after about 10k miles they howled like a dying cow in a hail storm no matter what the road surface. I am going to go to the Michelin once I get a few miles on the Hankooks which are ok for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk