2012 MK6 Jetta Alternator Clutch Pulley

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone, I'm trying to diagnose an issue with the alternator.

The battery light started turning on and off, so I immediately take it to AutoZone. They tell me the alternator is registering as "bad". I get the car home, take the serpentine belt off and see that the clutch pulley is moving the alternator fan in both directions. It is important to note that the belt didn't have any give (at all) when applying pressure (super tight). Prior to this, the serpentine belt was breaking every 3 months or so.

Could it be that I tightened the belt too tight and it wore the bearings out on the clutch pulley? Should I check for any other damages to the pulley system?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I doubt the tightness of the belt would cause that. The bearings inside the alternator would be going bad too if that was the case.

What you describe is the normal failure mode for the pulley clutch so I wouldn't worry too much about something you did. But... That shouldn't cause the alternator to read as bad on the tester. You probably either need to have the alternator rebuilt or replaced and not just the pulley

PS: I have two cousins that are sisters, one named Lindsey and the other is Nicole

LindseyNicole

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I was thinking the alternator was reading as bad because it wasn't getting proper power amperage from the faulty pulley clutch(?). When the serpentine belt initially broke, autozone said it was the alternator. It was the serpentine belt. Once I changed the belt the alternator reading was within normal range.

My mother was a fan of the two first names thing back in the day. My other two siblings have two first names too. LOL

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
From the way you describe it, it sounds like the pulley clutch was locked up and not freewheeling in the backwards direction. This is normal failure mode for the clutch and doesn't stop the alternator or hurt it. But it is hard on the belt & tensioner and would explain the reason for the breakage.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Okay, sweet. I'm going to order a new clutch pulley and install it. Hopefully, it isn't too much of a hassle.
Just make sure any clutch pulley you get is the oem one. The aftermarket ones fail very quickly and put you right back in the same spot.
But with the light coming on, unless the pulley is failed where it is freewheeling, its likely that the failed pulley has killed the alternator.
Those have the Bosch alternator still and the brushes can be fairly easily checked by pulling the regulator off the back. Just pull the cover off (one Phillips screw and the battery cable and the two nuts under it) then three screws for the regulator and it slides right out. Check for short brushes and for grooves in the slip rings.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If it's freewheeling both ways that would explain why it would fail the test

The pulley is not too hard to change but does require a special spline tool to remove