2012 JSW 6MT issue shifting into first

DDKL

TDI
Previously: 2009 Jetta
Hi all,

I’m looking at a 2012 6MT JSW and it has one issue that concerns me a little.

When shifting from neutral to first (or sometimes second to first)it goes into third instead. The only way to almost reliably shift is to go into second from neutral and then back into first. Pushing harder to the side didn’t change anything and second and all other gears were smooth

I grew up driving manuals so this isn’t user error / inexperience.

Is this a known or common issue and if so, what’s the usual fix? I tried a few searches but it wasn’t clear if three examples that I found were actually this issue or not.

Thanks,

D

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Your description about shifting reliably into first gear by hitting second gear first reminded me of my '69 MG Midget from a previous life. Thanks for the flashback !

Anyway, given that 3rd+ are all good, it's probably not a motor/transmission mount; I wonder if the shift linkage just needs some attention (e.g., inspection & adjustment). E.g.: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/tough-shifting.379098/post-4123057 --g

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Hi, I know when I installed the DieselGeek short shifter, there was a specific instruction to stretch the shifter cable as far into the "holder" as posible so that, when moving the shift lever side to side, you'd be completely aligning the shift forks and whatnot. Maybe this cable is in need of adjustment, and in doing so, it'll get you into 1st easier? Rather vague response, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

DDKL

TDI
It’s the only thing that’s holding me back from buying it as I don’t want to get into a situation with a new to me vehicle.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Perhaps you can ask the seller if the shifter has been modified? Again, i really think it's a shift cable that might just need some adjustment. I found this instruction, and i THINK this might be the culprit.

MK_Diesel-Geek_MK6_shifter_install

If you go to step 5, i THINK that could be it.

DDKL

TDI
It hasn’t been modified as far as the current owner knows…

I also have a line on a 2013 DSG although it has 177000 on it rather than 113000… I actually like the DSG for commuting - does $7500 without service history seem reasonable given both will need a timing belt and the manual is over 10000 ( the DSG looks clean).

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
My car started shifting weird/ missing gears and I panicked. When in a shop for check over, the guys showed me how the nut holding the linkage/arm on was about to fall off! (Look at the link posted above) That simple, problem fixed. Pull off the air filter box and take a look. If that the issue, low ball them on the price cause of the ‘potential issue’ :)

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I can't provide much feedback on the DSG, other than its lightning-quick shifts. I can say that my 6MT has been reliable and has not let me down. Most of the mileage are highway, and so it is still on its original clutch, even at 203k miles.

Your DSG-equipped JSW has over 60k miles more than the manual-equipped wagon, and although it's "nothing" for a diesel, it's still a decent amount. To me, a manual turbodiesel station wagon is hard to come by, and I enjoy rowing my gears. I understand there's a degree of uncertainty with respect to the shifting issue you're seeing, but I continue to believe it's your shifter cable in need of slight adjustment (in this case more tension to pull your side-to-side cable into the 1-2 slot). If you are not getting any synchro grinding both upshifting and downshifting, and even a rev-match to get into 1st gear isn't working, I think you just need to adjust the shift cable.

Perhaps do a quick search and see if others have the same symptoms as what you originally described; that might shed some more insight.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Have had this exact issue on mine, one of the cable linkages in the engine bay broke the rubber in the middle and had too much slop to get first without "throwing" the shifter over to make it continue to that position where it would line up. I fixed it cheap with a small rubber spacer I found on an old coolant hose that fit the center part that was left and allowed the remaining linkage to slip on tightly, later added a retaining screw as it slowly would slip off and happen again.

DDKL

TDI
Update: found a 2011 DSG with 104000 for 8k. It has a few issues but as a basic commuter with some hauling space, it’ll do the job for now!