2012 Jetta TDI turbo replacement

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
Hello everyone. This is my first post here however have been lurking for some time now. A few facts. before the Question. I have a 2012 TDI with 162,000 miles. I have always performed regular maintenance and have had zero issues with this vehicle. I drive approximately 2-3 hundred highway miles per day at 85 mph. last night I attempted to pass another vehicle and heard a loud pop with an immediate loss of power. Pulled over and checked it out and quickly determined that something had happened with turbo. Limped home approximately 5 miles. After some dis-assembly today it is apparent that I have to replace the turbo. Are there any tricks or precautions that some of you would share with me. I will be doing this in my driveway (gravel) on jackstands. My mechanical skill level is above average and trying to mitigate any unknown risk at this point that could potentially jeopardize the replacement turbo. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sincerely,
Sugar

blackdogtdi

TDI
2011 Golf
ensure you have everything properly torqued and break it in correctly (if applicable). I think for doing a turbo, your DPF is going to have to come out. It'd be a good time to upgrade the exhaust and/or turbo, if your budget supports, since everything will be removed anyway.

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
Good morning,
Yes I have been looking at the dpf trying to wrap my head around how to take it out. So far it is really becoming quite a task. my concerns are disconnecting and reconnecting all of the sensors and lines without damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
What would be the highest recommended repair manual for this car with all of the torque values?

blackdogtdi

TDI
2011 Golf
for me, disconnecting sensors was the easy part. Physically removing the DPF is a different story. The thing is massive and there isn't an easy way to get it out. You can look on myturbodiesel.com for a DIY for DPF and turbo removals (it includes torque values at the bottom of the turbo removal write up).

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
Yes that is very helpful. It is painful to think about how much dis assembly is involved.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
If you have the time and funds look into doing a CR170 and exhaust delete. Not much more money and improves reliability, not to mention more grins.

edr9x23super

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
You can buy a direct replacement Turbo from ID Parts for around $1160.00 brand new. I just bought one for my 2011 and had a guy install it.

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
hello folks, have received the new turbo from ID parts and am going to get started back on the project today. The new turbo was only around 900.00. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

07ktm250xc

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG
I've done several TDI turbos. Hardest part was removing rusted fasteners. Just lots of lubricant and patience.

Never done one with a DPF though. Be interested to know how it goes.

Thanks

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
Getting pretty close to completion. I am going to change the oil before starting. I read on here to unplug the injectors for priming the oil lines. how long should I turn the engine over for sufficient priming? Is there any kind of break in with a turbo replacement?

Sugar

TDI
2012 jetta TDI
Done!!! I will post some information later this week with a few tips to help anyone in the future.

Kienan

TDI
2012 Jetta sport wagon (manual transmission)
Sugar,

I know it’s been quite a while, but you said you would post some information and some tips. If you still have the info or the tips, I would really appreciate that. My mechanic skills are below average, but I have a shop available to me, so I’m considering swapping out my turbo on my 2012 Jetta TDI...

I just replaced the clutch in this car by myself, and I don’t think I would do that again, but I think the turbo won’t be quite as bad as that was……

Thanks so much!

Kienan

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My original turbo went out at 176k and I was facing exact dilemma as you are. In my case, DPF was approaching end of life and I decided to delete it all together as I there was no other way to get to the turbo. The hardest part was removal of DPF (I cut it with angle grinder at downpipe bend as I was not going to put it back but raplaced it with buzzken downpipe). It facilitated it's removal significantly. Removal of turbo itself is a piece of cake - 12 mm copper nuts (9 I think hold it in place). I bought mine for considerably less on ebay than ID parts and others selling. So I would look around. It is critical to prelube turbo. ID parts sells lube in small tube for that purpose.

complinitor

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just found my turbo detonated last night in my 2013 sportwagen. DPF had gone belly up, as well. Buzzken DP and full delete and stage 2 ECM was already purchased when I discovered the turbo.

141,574 miles, completely stock.

Anyone have eBay links?