2012 jetta tdi sportwagen mpg

mx757

TDI
2005 Jetta mk4 PD /2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagen DSG
bought a used TDI of seller that bought it at auction due DPF code. had 161K miles out of the dieselgate warrant. it now has 171K miles
seller removed DPF installed Bussken down pipe.. and said it had stage one malon tune. I'm begging to think seller lied to me about stage one malone tun.. as best mpg I get highway driving is 37-38 mpg sometime 39..

I'm thinking getting my own stage one malone tune and installing it... what everyone else getting with stage one tune / down pipe.?
I don't drive it agressivly.. just mostly noral driving keeping RPM between 1200-1800 ...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
On other VW forums I read that the tuners have a list of the VIN numbers for the cars they tuned. The comments suggested you could contact the tuners and they would confirm if or of if not the car was tuned by them.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
You should do better than that. Is the exhaust flap disconnected and fully open?
You might need to do a full scan for codes since I think Malone might have disabled some of the CEL codes.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
I have a Stage 2 Tune from MR Tuning and if I'm solely driving highway I can get atleast 43-45 mpg depending on my speed.
If the seller deleted the emissions equipment it would HAVE to be tuned otherwise it would not be driveable at all and would go into limp mode quite quick along with tons of dash light going off.
So its likely that it's tuned but you may need to scan it and see if theres any pending codes for anything. Check your fuel filter, air filter, basic maintenance stuff, etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it is deleted, it HAS to be tuned different from stock.

I have a sticky thread in the Fuel Economy section, take a look through there.

Also, make sure you have an accurate standard way of calculating your fuel use, repeatedly, over the span of several thousands of miles.

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
bought a used TDI of seller that bought it at auction due DPF code. had 161K miles out of the dieselgate warrant. it now has 171K miles
seller removed DPF installed Bussken down pipe.. and said it had stage one malon tune. I'm begging to think seller lied to me about stage one malone tun.. as best mpg I get highway driving is 37-38 mpg sometime 39..

I'm thinking getting my own stage one malone tune and installing it... what everyone else getting with stage one tune / down pipe.?
I don't drive it agressivly.. just mostly noral driving keeping RPM between 1200-1800 ...
I have 2013 jetta sport wagon tdi and I get 35 to 38 my old 1999 jetta tdi 5 speed used to get 50 on same trips

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
my JSW is ST3 Malone, averaging 47 mpg. best MPG are 52.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I drove several days without tune after making my pipe no limp mode just fix me lights. 2014 jsw dsg. Calculator shows 40 to 45 mpg 42 mpg on avg on dash