2012 Jetta Instrument cluster question on MPG

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I just bought a new TDI 2012 Jetta and I have noticed that sometimes the Average MPG display resets itself. Or at least I think it does as does the trip time, distance etc. Does it automatically do this if I turn off the car for X minutes?

Sometimes it seems to hold if I just turn it off for a few minutes like to run into a store etc. Am I imagning this or is it really going on?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Believe it stays if you restart the vehicle within a couple of hours... I suppose it's to keep data after a fillup or some other short-stop period. Should tell you in the manual (I'm yet to read it myself).

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I just bought a new TDI 2012 Jetta and I have noticed that sometimes the Average MPG display resets itself. Or at least I think it does as does the trip time, distance etc. Does it automatically do this if I turn off the car for X minutes?

Sometimes it seems to hold if I just turn it off for a few minutes like to run into a store etc. Am I imagning this or is it really going on?
How new is your car (miles)? How many fill ups have you done? Have you checked the owner's manual for instructions.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)

Sometimes it seems to hold if I just turn it off for a few minutes like to run into a store etc. Am I imagining this or is it really going on?
Youre not crazy, it is resetting itself. You have two "trips" in the display. #1 resets itself in 2 hours of not being driven. If you change it to #2 it will not reset until you manually reset it. To change between the two modes press the button on the bottom of the windshield wiper control stalk. To reset when in either mode hold down that same button until it resets. It will not reset both of them just the one you are currently in.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks for the help. I didnt know about the #2 trip meter so that is a big help to me as I wanted to track a tanks worth of MPG but it kept resetting itself everytime I parked it.

It is only a week old and I have only filled up once so on the next tank I sill try that.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
FYI - #2 resets after 19h59m (don't remember the miles - something like 1299) it was discussed in a previous post. You will most likely hit (at least I do) 19h59m before filling up.

You can press the 0.0/SET button once to toggle to trip meter and then hold that same butting while viewing trip to reset between tanks.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI - #2 resets after 19h59m (don't remember the miles - something like 1299) it was discussed in a previous post. You will most likely hit (at least I do) 19h59m before filling up.

You can press the 0.0/SET button once to toggle to trip meter and then hold that same butting while viewing trip to reset between tanks.
I havent noticed that ever. Are you talking 20hrs of driving or 20 hours of off time? Granted it is possible that my TDI hasnt been off for 20 hours straight.:D

Timmy, do you know of a way to change these time with VCDS?

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
To the OP, It's well covered in your owners manual. Read it and you will likely find lots of other neat features that are not otherwise obvious; not to mention critical information on the unique care and maintenance of TDI's. ;):D

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan

Don't know about the newer cars, but according to page 107 of the '10 owners manual, the #2 registers reset automatically after 99hrs 59minutes of engine run-time or 9,999 miles whichever comes first. This was also the case on my 1986 GTI; I'd be surprised if the newer cars were any different..

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't know about the newer cars, but according to page 107 of the '10 owners manual, the #2 registers reset automatically after 99hrs 59minutes and 9,999 miles. This was also the case on my 1986 GTI; I'd be surprised if the newer cars were any different..
After Timmy's earlier post I went to read the manual. For 2011 it says depending on your display it is either 19.99 hours or 99.99 hours and some set distance of 12xx or 6xxx miles. Now to figure out which one I have.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yep on my way to 1235 kms my number 2 trip rest on me :(....stupid it should be set to 99h

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
I know the majority of the forum's population is male and guys just don't like reading instructions, but that big ol manual is in your glovebox for a reason.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Since our cars don't have the full MFD it is 19h59m of engine running. Mileage corresponds as Savageman69 wrote.

Be prepared to be surprised tcp_ip_dude. :D

It should be 99h as I routinely go past 19h59m between tanks so just use trip meter for my mileage instead of #2 trip in MFD.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Since our cars don't have the full MFD it is 19h59m of engine running. Mileage corresponds as Savageman69 wrote.

Be prepared to be surprised tcp_ip_dude. :D

It should be 99h as I routinely go past 19h59m between tanks so just use trip meter for my mileage instead of #2 trip in MFD.

Duly surprised. :D

Makes no sense why they impose such an arbitrary limitation since there are clearly adequate display digits and memory address space to go higher. Note to self: Never be surprised by VAG. :D

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know the majority of the forum's population is male and guys just don't like reading instructions, but that big ol manual is in your glovebox for a reason.
yah well that big ol manual is full of useless crap that isnt even installed on my car, and the stuff my car does have isnt in it either :cool:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
yah well that big ol manual is full of useless crap that isnt even installed on my car, and the stuff my car does have isnt in it either :cool:
Perhaps. But by reading the manual for my '10, I learned about:

1) how to move wipers to service mode for easy removal/replacement/cleaning.
2) Wipers drop down to the next lower setting when you come to a complete stop.
3) Tear drop wipe (delayed wipe)
4) what a DPF regen is
5) what the small vent in the glove box is for
6) Radio can operate 30 minutes (per power on) w/o keys
7) speed dependent auto volume control on RCD-510
8) that I had an electric Aux heater for almost instant warm air production in winter.
9) what the notches on my gas cap were for
10)Height and length adjustment on console armrest.
11) how to turn on heated mirrors
12) each single press of accel/coast on cruise control add/subtracts 1mph
13) how to remove headrest.
14) where the attachment points were for the cargo fasteners in my trunk.
15) how to disable the door lock horn beep via the MFD.

and much more. :D

But I'm sure you already knew about all these features :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps. But by reading the manual for my '10, I learned about:

1) how to move wipers to service mode for easy removal/replacement/cleaning.
2) Wipers drop down to the next lower setting when you come to a complete stop.
3) Tear drop wipe (delayed wipe)
4) what a DPF regen is
5) what the small vent in the glove box is for
6) Radio can operate 30 minutes (per power on) w/o keys
7) speed dependent auto volume control on RCD-510
8) that I had an electric Aux heater for almost instant warm air production in winter.
9) what the notches on my gas cap were for
10)Height and length adjustment on console armrest.
11) how to turn on heated mirrors
12) each single press of accel on cruise control add/subtracts 1mph
13) how to remove headrest.
14) where the attachment points were for the cargo fasteners in my trunk.
15) how to disable the door lock horn beep via the MFD.

and much more. :D

But I'm sure you already knew about all these features :rolleyes:
Actually everything mentioned I knew either because of exploring the car or reading forums.:p

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i did actually...aside from not have tear drop wipe, vent in the glove box, adjustable arm rest or the ability to turn off honk on lock...even tho my miss printed piece of crap manual says i can do all those things and a hole bunch more i cant do

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
i did actually...aside from not have tear drop wipe, vent in the glove box, adjustable arm rest or the ability to turn off honk on lock...even tho my miss printed piece of crap manual says i can do all those things and a hole bunch more i cant do

Cool thanks