2012 Advice

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Hey Guys

I have a 2012 Golf with 110 thousands miles on it,I got the car from a dealer with 80 thousand about a year ago..I use it for work.

anyway I have had the particular filter light on for some time now..The car is starting to not run like it use to..It shut off on me the other day at a stop light...I am looking for some after market parts..from what I have gathered I need a tune and a exhaust..It’s a work car I just want it to be reliable and a little more pep would be nice.

so with that being said what do you all recommend? I see kerma is used for tuning are there others ? How about the exhaust ?Raw Tec ? I would like a full system turbo back straight pipe.....am I missing anything that needs to be addressed while this is being done and also with the mileage I have
Thanks in advance !!!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Drive the car hard. Install Diesel Geek's intake P2015 code repair bracket (even if the code is not yet thrown). You are nearing time for a timing belt change: Find a trust TDI Guru (Oliver of TDI racing in Baltimore or Mountain Valley Motors in Harrisonburg, VA, & others) to do a timing belt R&R, force a regen & go over the car for preventive service & then consult a professional tuner to discuss your options & best path forward. You should not have to do an exhaust delete. Good luck with it. On edit: Be wary of the dealers.

Last edited:

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Thanks so much bob I will check those guys out...I work in Baltimore..Can you comment on country dubs ?

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I am not familiar with them. I have used Oliver & Jeff. They are true professionals & know these cars very well. PM me if you want their contact info. My suggestion is, to you & others, choose pros in your geographical area. It is so much easier. There are other trusted TDI Gurus in the area that I do not have first hand experience with. Jeff & Oliver have treated me well, so no need to.

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
I totally agree..I had a blast with my cummins back a few years..I see the diesel word has changed a lot since then..I sent you a pm

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I totally agree..I had a blast with my cummins back a few years..I see the diesel word has changed a lot since then..I sent you a pm
Its kind of a bit more to it owning a diesel now with a DPF but once these cars are "right" their great.
Tune time(y)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It seems the OP should still be under warranty if he got the car from a dealer and only drove 30K miles and owned the car for only 1-year. If that's true, all the issues you have will probably be covered at no cost to you if you go to a dealer.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
You need to visit your dealer, have any issues that are covered by the emissions warranty fixed and then you can think about a tune.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You need to visit your dealer, have any issues that are covered by the emissions warranty fixed and then you can think about a tune.
Matt's 100% right. I'm not sure what the O.P.'s dieselgate emissions warranty mileage limit would be (it seems they differ?) but he definitely has a year or two left (10 years from inservice date.)

Shelving a new DPF, if you go that way sure would be money ahead.

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Just wanted to give a update..I get mad when I run on these forums to research a problem and only to have the OP never come back with a report.

The first thing I did was order the diesel geek p2015 code block that was recommended..also got a timing belt kit from diesel geek,seemed well put together.

installed the block/bracket..Drove the car 3 hours straight the dpf light done this..On/off/on/off/on..So I had a mechanic at work clear the codes which was only the p2015 code that showed up..the dpf light stayed on..cel came right back..So I ordered the exhaust from rawtek $1301 shipped..the very next day the cel and dpf light went off,and has not came back on since...car runs noticeably better with those lights off to haha

The diesel geek P2015 piece did solve my problem!!! So at this point the exhaust and Malone stage 2 will just be a bonus for me..I have a appointment for Monday January 25 at Deutschwurx in Elk Ridge MD to have the timing belt installed,exhaust,and tune..I am very very excited for this!!!!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Let us know how the car performs and the what the mpg. does.

No smog check area? I'm jealous! damn this California and its over regulation.

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
I sure will...Most I have seen has been 40-41 mpg..75/80 on cruise.

what is your guys thoughts on cold air intake and a turbo discharge pipe ? Don’t see much love for air intake here.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Not much love for aftermarket intakes because they're more of a marketing gimmick aimed at taking your money and engine bay aesthetics than performance. They're essentially expensive hot air intakes and nothing more.

No experience with the turbo discharge damper, looks interesting though. Not sure at which point the OEM part becomes a restriction. I'd be interested to know if that same part is factory installed on the CR170 cars or not.

Something that might get you more bang for your buck is their AC underdrive pulley if you're looking for a handful of HP for relatively cheap.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Its kind of a bit more to it owning a diesel now with a DPF but once these cars are "right" their great.
Tune time(y)
2011 mk6 6m with Karma non Deere.

Just fan my 1st Ca. biannual smog...

PASS ZERO issues

davebell1

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Have to fix my P2015 CEL error code in order to pass smog test. need to either order the diesel geek mod or drill the hole for stop screw, got the flap motor moving, and cleared the code. but need to drive 100+ miles and power cycle few time for the codes to pass the smog test... damn thing fails at the second power cycle

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Just a short update for now..I got my car back from Scott and Meghan today at Deutschwurx....First and foremost what two amazing and knowledgeable people,they came to my work picked the car up Monday and I got it back this evening...Meghan kept me updated with progress everyday via text/pictures..They washed my car and I even got a hoodie!!

I have very little drive time on the car as of now but it sounds awesome and the car runs great and really really smooth!! I did end up having them install the A/C under drive pulley as well

I will post back on a MPG update in a few weeks...But that is all for now,again I can’t say enough about Deutschwurx great people great service if you in or around the Baltimore area and need some work done give em a call

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Awesome.

Is that the Neuspeed A/C underdrive pulley?

I'm somewhat interested in that part for my car.

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Awesome.

Is that the Neuspeed A/C underdrive pulley?

I'm somewhat interested in that part for my car.
Yes it is...I asked Scott what he thought about it basically if it was a waste of money and he said absolutely not..They install a few and for the money it was worth it.

My only complaint with it was it came in green and online it showed it in black..I believe in getting what I paid for/showin.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Yes it is...I asked Scott what he thought about it basically if it was a waste of money and he said absolutely not..They install a few and for the money it was worth it.

My only complaint with it was it came in green and online it showed it in black..I believe in getting what I paid for/showin.
Green one is for the CJAA engine, Black one is for CRUA / DEJA / CVCA engines. You got the correct one.;)

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Can you explain the impact the part had after install? Or too soon to tell, not enough miles?

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
Can you explain the impact the part had after install? Or too soon to tell, not enough miles?
I honestly can’t tell and doubt I ever will be able to..I went from a stock car with roughly 111,000 miles to a full exhaust,new timing belt,drive pulley and a stage 2 tune.

When I asked Scott about it after the install..He said it was totally worth it for the $130..He explained they install quite a few and that on other cars it’s a hugh difference in the weight of a stock vs a aftermarket pulley.

further more I got this part because looking back in the thread you said it would be more bang for my buck..so I see what you did there haha...Wish I could be more help on this piece.

they installed mine for free as it’s right there with the timing belt any way so I’d say if you was doing a timing belt I’d for sure add it to the list while your in there.

WVGolf26852

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi
So one final update since I now feel like I have some actual drive time on the car.

It runs very well,I am very glad I made the decision to go the route I did..the most MPG I have seen is 44,that is hand calculated...also note that number came from a 400 miles trip with 350 of those miles on the interstate with cruise set on 70

The only thing that I do not care for is how strong the smell from the exhaust is from time to time it’s a little over whelming.