2012 A3 stereo

JaivH

TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium
Hello All,

I have been unable to located this info on the net but does anyone know if the deck that is offered in the 2012 will replace one from a 2010? I noticed that the new deck seems to offer iPod controls and this would be a swell feature.

Thanks
Jai

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
which stereo are you talking about?

You might have more luck with this on a forum like Audizine or AudiWorld. Not to send traffic to another forum, but the reality is that us A3 owners are kinda rare around here compared to a full Audi forum.

-bill

3waygeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
I'm pretty sure that the non-nav unit is still the Concert II+ double-DIN. At least that's what's in my 2010 A3 TDI, and as far as I know, nothing major has changed since then. Similar situation for the RNS-E. If you're looking to retrofit a 2012 headunit into your 2010, you shouldn't have any problems. Ipod/Iphone interface has in the past been done by the Audi Music Interface (AMI), a separate module running around $180 that plugs into the pre-wired CD changer interface.

Last edited:

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
I have a RNS-E for sale, with the new LED screen version "193 G".
does the RNS-E for the 2012 have any updates from the 2010? (besides map updates)

I'd be tempted to fit an RNS-E into my 2012 TDI if i found an OEM unit for a good price.

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
Did you check out vagnavs.com?

I just bought a 2012 A3 TDI this weekend with the Concert stereo, with the intent of eventually upgrading to the RNS-E. I started looking around, and that site seems to have some good pricing.

It looks to be a plug-and-play type of installation, but I'm still not 100% sure what else I need to do in regards to getting Sirius hooked up to the sharkfin; I'm hoping it's just the same cable that's already back there hooked up to the Concert.

My #1 priority is iPod integration, and my #2 priority is just having a nice looking screen in the dash. The navigation part is of course good, but not a requirement :)

Let me know how your search goes!

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
Did you check out vagnavs.com?

I just bought a 2012 A3 TDI this weekend with the Concert stereo, with the intent of eventually upgrading to the RNS-E. I started looking around, and that site seems to have some good pricing.
Thanks I'll let you know if I decide on getting one. I checked out that site, and it does look like a good price, but I'm a little concerned that it shows 2003-2009 as the model year, so again I wonder if anyone sells a more recent model...

If there's no difference in the actual unit and it's just a DVD map upgrade away from the 2012 unit, that would be great....

JaivH

TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium
I typed in 2010, and they indicated that they did not have any in stock and did not have an expected in stock date.

I also typed 2011 & 2012 and it returned a result of 2010, now it is my understanding that the 2010 model requires a separate iPod adapter such as a Dension. Does anyone know for sure if this is correct?

To be honest, I don't care about NAV or DVD, I just want a good iPod integration. The Dension 300 that I have now is ok but there is some noise introduced so the sound isn't as good as it could be.

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
Was the 2010 model the 192 or the 193? I'm still not an expert on the subject, but I believe 2010 was when they released the 193, which appears to have MMI support, meaning you can just buy the MMI iPod cable and go to town.

That's what I've been looking at, anyway. There are a bunch on eBay- most are coded for Europe though, so you can't install US maps on them. There's one eBay user "Haaggie" who usually has a good number of lightly used US-coded RNS-E 193 units up for auction. They seem to be ending around $1000 once the bidding is done. I've also found them on ECS Tuning for $1400.

One of these days I'm going to go for it, but I'm waiting for the nod from the CFO (aka: wife) :)

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
An update on this one for you guys:

I finally picked up an RNS-E (193 B) on eBay for $900 total last week, which included shipping from Europe, removal keys (to get my Concert II+ out), the latest 2011 North America navigation DVD, and a GPS antenna (which was ridiculously easy to install.. I wouldn't even call it an "install"). You can find EU-specific hardware for even cheaper, but you end up needing to do some conversions to make it work in the US, and I wasn't entirely comfortable with that.

Since I got the A3 without Bose, the unit really was plug-and-play. The wiring harness went right in, Bluetooth just worked, etc. Even the turn-by-turn updates in the driver information screen (the little LCD in the instrument cluster) worked without needing VAG-COM code changes, which I thought it would have needed. The RNS-E unit coding itself was done by the business that I bought it from.

If I had the A3 WITH Bose, I would have had to change a few wires in the wiring harness, since the pinouts are slightly different, but I was a cheapo (and didn't feel like waiting for one with Bose), so it ended up being easier in the end. :)

You'll see a couple of different RNS-E 193's.. namely the B and the G. The difference is that the G has a glossy, piano-black border around the LCD screen (just part of a recent design refresh), whereas the B does not.

If you're not comfy with the eBay route, vagnavs.com recently got a shipment of A3 RNS-E kits in (I got an e-mail from them the other day, AFTER I ordered the one from eBay), and they're selling them for $1450.

There's also a guy named Albert (whose handle is haaggie.. he is twitter.com/haaggie, and haaggie@gmail.com). He also sells both new and used kits. His used kits go for $1400, and his used kits go for $1800-1900.

Hopefully this was semi-helpful! If you end up upgrading from an old RNS-E, or retrofitting from a Concert II+, etc, lemme know how it goes!

JaivH

TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium
Thank you for the great information! Does the RNS-E (193 B) have the iPod connector built in?

chetdi

TDI
2012 A3, 2011 JSW
No prob! It has a port in the back, but you'll need to buy the cable to hook up.

This site has more info on the cables:

http://www.iamaudi.com/ami-audi-music-interface-cable-compatability/

There are two different types of cables. You'll need the one "CAN & AMI MMI 3G" with the dark blue grommet. I haven't tried it yet myself, but this seems to be the correct one. I'll probably be getting one in the next few weeks, if you don't beat me to it. :)