2012-2015 tdi toareg emissions consideration when buying

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I've seen quite a few of these cars available for under $15000 and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with emissions considerations I should look for when buying. I live in a non-sniffer test state so wondered if I should look for one that has had all the dpf and adblue deletes done? Bet it would get 20% better mileage too.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Personally I would look for one that's stock. VW has extended the warranty to, as I recall, 120,000 miles. It covers pretty much everything, turbo, fuel pump, etc. Just for that reason I wouldn't touch ours. Once it's past the warranty then we'll see.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Makes sense. How does your Tiguan stack up against the touareg for ride, economy, etc.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Makes sense. How does your Tiguan stack up against the touareg for ride, economy, etc.
They really are quite different. The Tiguan is a 6 speed and gets about 35 MPG. Its just FWD and is more nimble than the Touareg. It's appreciably smaller than the Touareg. Currently it has H&R springs and Bilstein yellows so I would say the ride is "firm". On the other hand, The Touareg is all original. The ride is much better, it has a lot of extras like the electric hatch, dual zone climate, etc. We get about 25 MPG. The Tig is my DD, the Touareg is the wife's DD. The Touareg is a really nice car, rides well, very stable, reasonably quick. In fact if you stomp on it from a dead standstill it takes off. Other than the possibility of some expensive repairs (luckily so far we haven't experienced that) it really is hard to fault. As long as you know what you are getting into, it really is a great vehicle.

Having said all that, I prefer the Tiguan, my wife loves the Touareg. I like driving a manual and the Tig is more like a Golf. I've had a MK4 Golf, Jetta wagon and Beetle. The Tig is perfect for me, it seems like a more modern MK4, but more versitility than even a wagon. You can fit 4 people (5 if you really want), it can carry lots of stuff, good economy. It's really too bad they never sold the TDI Tiguan over here.

It really depends on what you want. Both are very capable and do everything well, but they are very different.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you know vwztips did a jetta tdi into a Tiguan? That might be my next move. I think he used the dsg though. I agree with you the manual would be best. My NMS manual is sweet.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
want to sell it?. PM me if so

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the platform similar to a same year jetta? If so, should I look for a same year manual jetta tdi as a donor?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine has a 2013 Golf engine/gearbox. It's slightly different to the factory TDI Tiguans in other markets but fits fine. There are some other differences, the intercooler is from a European TDI Tig. I think there is some info in the Conversion forum if you do a search.