2011 with no good dsg

matt4x4

TDI
1.9L TDI Jetta was to small. 6'4" means Passat, TDI, Wagon!
Potential purchase of a used tdi - Whats the headache going to be if the automatic transmission on a 2011 vw jetta tdi i slisted as transmission slipping. Can I buy a crate, are they easy to throw to a trans shop for rebuild, hopefully doesnt cost too much?

I can only assume the trans is the infamous DSG I read about in my New&Used LemonAid book by Phil Edmonston book which pegs the '11 at Above Average for a book written in 2016. I have a bunch of these books I have bought over the years, obviously since the book was written in 2016, he will put the newer models (Example, 2014) on higher asteam if they deserve it. I cannot confirm the years the dsg trans was used, the best I can gleam from the Interwebs is '07-'13. Then I need to find out when the VW scandal was, to figure out if the '11 fell victim to their greed and if it was fixed on the car.

I like this generation of vw jetta for the bigger size, I know the ALH engines on the smaller body previous gen are touted as wonderful. Wiki states the potential purchase of '11 is, I can go either way now, gas or diesel, but fuel economy is what I want for long distance driving. Love a wagon, tdi, manual jetta mk6. No rush on my part, playing the slow game to buy. Prices have come down on the v6 cars to a reasonable amount, been eyeballing the 3.8L but I have to aim for fuel economy.

I dont know what the 2011 Jetta tdi is, 1.6 or 2.0 ir

Diesel:
  • 1.6 L TDI I4
  • 2.0 L TDI I4
Models
  • 2011-2014 Jetta TDI, Engine Code CJAA
  • 2015+ Jetta TDI, Engine Code CVCA

This was a good read.

I need to find a good vw jetta mechanic to inspect the thing. I got 2 days before the local auction houses online auction closes. I have to see the thing in person. Another thing is to check the local junk yards for their inventory for parts availability.

Last edited:

AgentE

TDI
MK6 Jetta
Get VCDS, the auto scans will tell you what you need to know about a perspective buy.

Swapping a 02E transmission is actually pretty easy imo.