2011 VW Jetta

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
No. You are not alone. A lot of people think the MKV Jetta looks like a fluffed up Carolla.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
No. You are not alone. A lot of people think the MKV Jetta looks like a fluffed up Carolla.
Your putting the negative on the Jetta ............... the fact is the Corolla is a 'fluffed up' Jetta. Nobody can copy another car like Toyota. Look at the early Lexus LS400.............looks just like an S class Mercedes.

Check it out. The MV5 was introduced in the US at the LA Auto show in early 2005...............the Corolla copycat car was intorduced in 2006.....See below for details. The Japanese have been copying European cars for years.

Tenth generation (E140, E150)
Main article: Toyota Corolla (E140)

Tenth generation Toyota Corolla.

The tenth generation of the Corolla was introduced in October 2006. Japanese markets called it the Corolla Axio, with the ASEAN markets retaining the Altis branding. The station wagon retains the Corolla Fielder name. The Corolla Altis and Corolla Axio have a different appearance.[6]

[edit] Safety

In Australia, Corolla models built between 1986-2006 were assessed in the Used Car Safety Ratings 2008:[7]
  • (1986–1988) — worse than average
  • (1989–1993) — average
  • (1994–1997) — better than average
  • (1998–2001) — better than average
  • (2002–2006) — better than average
The US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the 1998-2002 models as "Acceptable" in their 40 mph (64 km/h) frontal offset crash test. Initial 2003 models had an overall "Good" rating, but received a "Marginal" on left foot injury protection. A rebuild beginning December 2002, which continues through to the 2008 model, gives the Corolla a "Good" rating in all aspects of the test. Corolla models from model year 2005 to 2008 with optional side curtain air bags received an "Acceptable" rating in the side impact crash test, largely due to a "Marginal" rating in structure/safety cage design. Otherwise, injury protection ratings for driver and rear passenger were all good except for driver pelvis/leg injury protection, which was "Acceptable". The Corolla from model year 2009 to present with standard side curtain air bags received a "Good" rating in both the frontal offset and side impact crash test.[8]

Euro NCAP ratings are as follows:
  • 1998 (EE110 1.3 5-door liftback LHD): 3 stars (23 points) adult occupant, 2 stars (15 points) pedestrian (pre-2002 rating system)
  • 2002 (ZZE120 1.4 5-door hatchback RHD): 4 stars (28 points) adult occupant, 2 stars (11 points) pedestrian
  • 2007 (E150 4-door sedan): 5 stars (34 points) adult occupant, 4 stars (39 points) child occupant, 3 stars (23 points) pedestrian
[edit] Sales numbers

Calendar yearUS sales2000230,156[9]2001245,0232002254,360[10]2003325,4772004333,161[11]2005341,2902006387,388[12]2007371,3902008351,007[13]2009296,874[14]
[edit] See also

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Some new information on the next-gen Jetta may be coming out today or tomorrow... some kind of driving opportunity for automotive journalists.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
V5 is really a VR6 - 1 = VR5
I know that. :rolleyes: The car is actually labelled V5, not VR5. Besides, the context was that the 2.5 L I5 engine sold in North America would be a non-seller in Europe in the same way the 2.3 V5 also sold in pathetically small numbers there.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I'm confused. Is the new Jetta more "upscale" as some articles (like the one above) say, or is it a "decontented" "starter car" as other articles claim, with this horrid instrument cluster from a 1990s econo box?

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I'm confused. Is the new Jetta more "upscale" as some articles (like the one above) say, or is it a "decontented" "starter car" as other articles claim, with this horrid instrument cluster from a 1990s econo box?

Wow that looks cheap. :(

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I like the lines of this Mk6 Jetta very much; it looks like a natural progression from the Mk4, whereas the Mk5 was something best forgotten entirely. The natural flowing lines forward from the A-pillar are especially clever. The tail treatment is still not perfect, but a huge improvement nevertheless.

In some respects it look like what an un-uglified and un-Bangleized BMW 3-series should look like. I mean that as praise for the Jetta and as criticism of all Bimmers built in the last ten years.

I had heard that it would be cheapened and decontented. But this is reassuring: "all 2011 Volkswagen Jetta models will feature an independent front MacPherson strut suspension and fully independent 4-link rear suspension with coil springs. The brakes are ventilated discs in the front, and solid discs in the rear. The steering system is power rack-and-pinion with an electro-mechanical variable assist."

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wherever you got that quote from, it's wrong. The 2011 Jetta (North American spec - not Europe!) has twist-beam rear suspension. Only the GLI (and, apparently, European models) will get independent rear suspension. And the base models of the 2011 Jetta will have rear drum brakes.

And the instrument cluster has no engine temperature gauge, and no outside temperature display, and it uses the old-style trunk hinges (with an incredibly huge and intrusive pivot arm!) rather than the little linkage that tucks away and takes up next to no trunk space, plus who knows how many other things in the interest of saving money.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Hey, if it were offered here with the 1.6 bluemotion package I would buy it. For now, I just put a fresh coat of wax on the 2003 Beetle GL TDI.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
I like the look of the new Jetta but in some ways it looks similar to other cars on the road. One thing you have to say with that big chrome grill you can spot a Mk5 Jetta a block away. With the new one I don't think so.

Did you notice that there is no temperature indicator or for that matter a trip computer? Hmmmmmmm.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pricing details http://vwmico.com/2010/07/20/details-and-pricing-for-2011-jetta-are-here/
Hopefully they have a solid source rather than BSing us.
Wow, they really have decontented the cheapest Jetta models. (Is "decontented" a real word? probably not)

For $14.995 you do not get AC or remote entry, or a very good radio. You do get a 2.slow 4-cylinder engine, which I thought was gone forever except in the Mk4 "City" models. At least the AT option is a 6-speed automatic, no 01M 4-speeds. But there are still lots of the usual standard features we have come to expect.... except maybe not cruise control.

A nicely-equipped gas-engine version is the Jetta SE for $18,195, but it appears that the SEL for $21,395 is the cheapest model with 4-wheel disk brakes!

The cheapest TDI, at $22,995, has all the Convenience features: 16" alloys, cold weather package, multifunction steering wheel, Bluetooth, Sirius radio, 6-speaker sound system, Media Device Interface (MDI), and sunroof. It does not appear that you can get a TDI without these features.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The cheapest TDI, at $22,995, has all the Convenience features: 16" alloys, cold weather package, multifunction steering wheel, Bluetooth, Sirius radio, 6-speaker sound system, Media Device Interface (MDI), and sunroof. It does not appear that you can get a TDI without these features.
Which kills its value, for most folks, if you can live with a stripper and want to save money it makes more economic sense to get the entry-level car.

I don't understand why you can't get TDI as an engine-only option across all levels. It used to be that way.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which kills its value, for most folks, if you can live with a stripper and want to save money it makes more economic sense to get the entry-level car.

I don't understand why you can't get TDI as an engine-only option across all levels. It used to be that way.
This should be good news for current TDI owners, because their resale value will stay high and may even go higher.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Interesting note I have been looking at the new specs and found some interesting details.
The 2.0 l and the 2.5 will be offered with disc front and drum rear where the 2.0 l common rail tdi will come with 4 wheel disc standard.
Never thought I would see the day the gassers would want to upgrade to TDI brakes.
Also the 2.0 comes with standard 15 inch wheels and tires where the 2.5 and the Tdi comes standard with 17 inch wheels and tires.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I note the price and features list says nothing about the 2.0T. The Canadian press releases say the 2.0T will be one of the engine options. I hope so, it's a great engine. In a money-no-object scenario, I'd probably opt for it over the TDI.

But I'm getting cheaper as I get older and the stripper has some appeal, especially since I am trying to maximize use of my bike and minimize use of my car. Who needs to spend $30k on a grocery-getter even if it does get great fuel efficiency?

JBC

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
I pulled up next to one of the new jetta's with manufacture plates last week at a red light. I tried to get my camera phone out to snap a picture, but he was gone before I had the chance.:( The car looked great out on the road, I will have to give it a serious look when they go on sale.:cool:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
anyone seen this review yet? Not really what you'd call "glowing".

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/21/2011-volkswagen-jetta-first-drive-road-test-review/
No, but it seems honest. To bring down the starting price, a number of standard features had to be deleted.

What we need to do is forget about everything except the TDIs. You could get the Mk5 Jetta TDIs, the 2009 and 2010 models, without the Sirus radio and the multifunction steering wheel, and I think without the sunroof and Bluetooth and MDI. Now you can't, and the starting price is higher, a bit higher than the Golf TDI I think. But still about right compared to the Golf and JSW/GSW.

Last edited: