2011 VW Jetta

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Of course, if you really DO need cruise control, get the turn signal stalk off of a Comfortline/SE, about six wires, and 2 minutes with VCDS, and you'll most likely have cruise control.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Of course, if you really DO need cruise control, get the turn signal stalk off of a Comfortline/SE, about six wires, and 2 minutes with VCDS, and you'll most likely have cruise control.
There are just certain things that in the year 2010 should not be an option on any new vehicle. Cruise control seems to be one of those things. The idiom of Penny wise but pound foolish comes into play.......

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And in this case, it's not even a case of the cruise hardware costing more - it likely costs VW more to have the non-cruise control stalk and harness in ETKA and their parts flow.

It's a case of VW wanting to charge for functionality that's already in the ECU, which bothers me. (But, they've been doing it in Europe for as long as they've been selling TDIs...)

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
There are just certain things that in the year 2010 should not be an option on any new vehicle. Cruise control seems to be one of those things. The idiom of Penny wise but pound foolish comes into play.......
Ya, gotta have cruise so ya can "cruise". I like to kick back and cross my legs on a long interstate trip, just get mellow with snacks, the phone and a cold beer. Can't relax like that without cruise :D

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Ya, gotta have cruise so ya can "cruise". I like to kick back and cross my legs on a long interstate trip, just get mellow with snacks, the phone and a cold beer. Can't relax like that without cruise :D
It's a relief to know you're cruising in wisconsin.:D

plap17

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/DSG
I had an '03 Pontiac Vibe/Matrix with automatic lights. Not DRL, but a sensor that kicked on full headlamps at dusk. I thought it was a slam dunk that most vehicles would have same by now. Very surprised (bit annoyed) when I have to consciously turn on my '10 Jetta lights, and get the reminder beep to turn off as I exit. Guess I got lazy - tho surprised they all don't do auto by now.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
From the manufacturer's perspective: If it's an option you can charge people for, why make it standard? ;)

My BMW 1-series has the following things as options:
-air conditioning
-auto headlights
-cruise control

I don't think they sell many without A/C, so far I've seen only one, an otherwise nicely equipped 120d, rotting away on a dealer lot. Some guy must have forgotten to check that box...

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
I had an '03 Pontiac Vibe/Matrix with automatic lights. Not DRL, but a sensor that kicked on full headlamps at dusk. I thought it was a slam dunk that most vehicles would have same by now. Very surprised (bit annoyed) when I have to consciously turn on my '10 Jetta lights, and get the reminder beep to turn off as I exit. Guess I got lazy - tho surprised they all don't do auto by now.
I would prefer that the auto headlight dimmer be a standard on all new vehicles. The one on my '55 98 Oldsmobile Holliday was great. :)

Crosley

TDI
Sold
Looked at a 2011 Jetta base car. I like the exterior styling, that is fine.

Interior reminds me of Nissan interiors = cheap looking

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Is the MFD really bad? we just came back from Mexico and the TDI's have the same MFD as the Euro jettas (like the mkv).

I think the MFD is one of the must important items in a car and VWOA really didnt care at all.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Stupid DSGs

3 2011 Jetta TDI-CRs are on the lot in east Charlotte 704-537-2336 ,
all with that stupid DSG though .
:)

Here we go again! :p

Someone who does not own one and most likely has never driven one or
even riden in any vehicle with a DSG has something negative to say.

Way to go Kid! :(

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Derrel, just because you picked one with the DSG, does not mean the rest can't express our disdain for cars that are missing a clutch pedal.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
3 2011 Jetta TDI-CRs are on the lot in east Charlotte 704-537-2336 , all with that stupid DSG though .

Called a dealer in Aurora CO and was told they still have a few 2010s Sedans & wagonsso don't expect any 2011 Jetta TDI-CRs intil the beginning to middle of Jan .

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I Agree

Derrel, just because you picked one with the DSG, does not mean the
rest can't express our disdain for cars that are missing a clutch pedal.

Express away, but do not do so unless you are very famaliar with that transmission and have
spent some time driving one
as I have. Then feel free to comment away, but not before.

I would ask anyone here why the ratio of sold DSGs to 6MTs so strongly favors the DSGs? :confused:

:D

D

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Here we go again! :p

Someone who does not own one and most likely has never driven one or
even riden in any vehicle with a DSG has something negative to say.

Way to go Kid! :(

I've clocked several 1,000 miles behind the wheel of an 06 Jetta TDI DSG , so don't make assumptions on what you don't know . Also I've driven a several of 09-10 Jetta TDIs with the DSG . The 10 Jetta DSG was over a weekend and about 250 miles in varied conditions back in Sept and didn't seem to feel or dirve any different than the 06 DSG to me .

The extra maintenance cost of the DSG alone is ~5-7 times ( depending on whether I do the service or pay someone to ) that of the 6 spd man along with it's reliability issues are enough for me not to want one as a daily driver . Not to mention the hit in real world mpgs of 3-5 mpgUS which kind of defeat the purpose for me of driving a Diesel anything .........

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay!

I've clocked several 1,000 miles behind the wheel of an 06 Jetta TDI DSG , so don't make assumptions on what you don't know .
Also I've driven several of 09-10 Jetta TDIs with the DSG . The 10 Jetta DSG was over a weekend and about 250 miles in varied conditons back in Sept and didn't seem to feel or dirve any different than the 06 DSG to me.

The extra maintenance cost of the DSG alone is ~5-7 times (depending on whether I do the service or pay someone to) that of the 6 spd man along with it's reliability issues are enough for me not to want one as a daily driver .
Not to mention the hit in real world mpgs of 3-5 mpg US which kind of defeats the purpose for me of driving a Diesel anything . .

But maybe someday you too may be older (and wiser) and retired and only have one
vehicle and a wife that will not drive a manual, so what will you do then, go to some
other vehicle with a slush box like the earlier VW TDI four- speed trannies?
I had one of those (2002 automatic TDI wagon) and the best F E
I could get was only 40 MPG and we only saw that one time.

I agree that the later 6 MTs do get better F E when driven correctly
because of their taller gearing, but not the earlier 2009s with 6 MTs.

I will put mine against those early 6 MTs for F E anytime. View my Fuelly below. :p

As far as extra maintenance costs are concerned, you are indeed correct.
However, at only one cent additional per mile, that small sum is indeed worth it to us.
If I change the filter and fluid myself when it comes time, my total costs
will be far less that the $400 normally charged by most dealers.
Perhaps less than $150 for the 'kit'?
If you were to have to fight the terrible traffic we must contend
with here in So Cal, you too would see the light.

D

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My current wife grew up in S CAL so I spend time in that area every year running around on CA , 22 , 55 , 57 , 71 , 91 along with all the interstates in the area . Never had any trouble running around the area in my 5 spd VWs .

And I made it clear to wife when we started dating that if she was going to be with me that included here driving manual trans cars .

And on the maintenance issue I figure maybe $25 for the 6 spd man trans grease for the change every ~120k miles . So compared to using your figure of $150 for the trans kit times 3 changes = $450 if it includes the oil makes the cost it an extra 18 times the cost ????????//

I can buy 9.2 tanks , 15 gals of fuel each for that extra ~$425 wasted on DSG oil changes @ the $3.079 I paid last week . So at the $3.079 I paid last week that works out to ~138 gals of D2 times 42- 45 mpg ~ 5,796- 6,211.4 miles . How many of us here are willing to just throw ~6k miles free as a cost of having the DSG trans ??? I'm betting not as many as you think ...........

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My current wife grew up in S CAL so I spend time in that area every year running around on CA , 22 , 55 , 57 , 71 , 91 along with all the interstates in the area . Never had any trouble running around the area in my 5 spd VWs.

And I made it clear to wife when we started dating that if she was
going to be with me that included here driving manual trans cars.

And on the maintenance issue I figure maybe $25 for the 6 spd man trans grease for the change every ~120k miles . So compared to using your figure of $150 for the trans kit times 3 changes = $450 if it includes the oil makes the cost it an extra 18 times the cost ????????//

I can buy 9.2 tanks, 15 gals of fuel each for that extra ~$425 wasted on DSG oil changes @ the $3.079 I paid last week. So at the $3.079 I paid last week that works out to ~138 gals of D2 times 42- 45 mpg ~ 5,796- 6,211.4 miles . How many of us here are willing to just throw ~6k miles free as a cost of having the DSG trans??? I'm betting not as many as you think . . .

The sales figure directly from VW say differently! :p

If you knew my wife, perhaps you might understand. ;)
Also, being much longer in the tooth than you are, and with an aging left knee, I really
prefer an automatic transmission, and whatever the cost is, I will gladly pay it! :p

You are indeed familiar with our highways here. However, try leaving on the 60 Eastbound at 16:30 headed for Murrieta via the 71 and 91 and even the 15 at that time, where a normal drive for the
60 plus miles might be one hour and five minutes, but because of the stop and go
and slow and go can and does often take as much two hours.
How many times would you think a clutch would be used?

Perhaps now you may understand one of the many reason I
(and wife) prefer and really must have a DSG. :confused:

D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Or you just stick it in first, let the clutch out, and roll.

Also, the DSG sells better than the manual because it shifts for itself. Not because it's better.

And, I have driven a DSG. The 2006 that I drove, not bad. The 2009 that I drove, I think a 14 year old girl was working the clutch and shifter.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The sales figure directly from VW say differently! :p

If you knew my wife, perhaps you might understand. ;)
Also, being much longer in the tooth than you are, and with an aging left knee, I really
prefer an automatic transmission, and whatever the cost is, I will gladly pay it! :p

You are indeed familiar with our highways here. However, try leaving on the 60 Eastbound at 16:30 headed for Murrieta via the 71 and 91 and even the 15 at that time, where a normal drive for the
60 plus miles might be one hour and five minutes, but because of the stop and go
and slow and go can and does often take as much two hours.
How many times would you think a clutch would be used?

Perhaps now you may understand one of the many reason I
(and wife) prefer and really must have a DSG. :confused:

D
First I guess you've never read much from me about driving , I lost the use of my left leg over 25 years ago . So a bum left knee , not really an issue for me ;). Auto diesels have so much low end torque from idle that you can just let the clutch out in a slow controlled fashion without extra throttle input and off you go . Then I just speed shift/sync up shift through the rest of the gears .

And on statistics for automatic trans sales here , I really don't see that as a good thing . Automatic only drivers , drivers that don't know how to row their own gears are not very attentive drivers so are less safe in my experience . Every driver I've ever taught to drive a stick and we are talking well above 50 people were all a far safer driver afterwords whether they continued to drive a manual or not . I believe no one should be allowed on the road without at least passing a test to show they understand and can drive a manual trans vehicle . This is the case in many countries and should be here .

And before anyone starts a rant on sync up shifting I've taken apart several trans that I did this too after several 100s of thousands of miles and found no measurable damage . I've been sync up shifting for just short of 39 years to date in all sorts of setups so I'm pretty good at it .

I had a Toyota Celica trans that had 900+k miles on it and a VW Jetta that had 700+k miles on it that I removed and tore down for parts . The 900k trans was removed after the car it was in was wrecked:mad: and the VW trans was removed when the drivetran was updated with a later model . The synchros still looked and still worked good when taken apart , no measurable wear above normal use . From both trans I used parts out of to fix other ones that had been run low on fluid .

Also I've had cars with trans that had trashed synchros before I bought them that were hard to drive with the clutch that I used this technique to drive . I just rinsed the trans out then clockrd another 100+ k miles without issue .

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Automatic only drivers , drivers that don't know how to row their own gears are not very attentive drivers so are less safe in my experience .
being 35, and with my first manual car since driving at the age of 16, would agree with this statement. you become an extension of the car with a manual tranny. you are more aware of your speed within the city, more aware of oncoming cars, especially at a left turn. actually more aware of cars behind you too - well for me since i need to practise takeoff from first still and don't like to roll back.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Doesn't make a difference, an a$$whole is an a$$whole driver, no matter what the trans is.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I prefer manual but can relate to those who prefer automatic. A friend of mine has a herniated disk and prefers auto even though he can drive manual perfectly fine (and like me fly a plane). We have one of each. We're both in our 50s and physically active (snowshoeing, skiing, biking, hiking). I figure if one of us suffers a sports injury that hampers the ability to shift our own gears, we just swap cars until the injury heals. Not really a bad strategy, at our age you never know. That said my mother-in-law drove a manual right up to her '80s until illness forced her to stop driving. When she needed a new car when in her 70s, we tried to persuade her to buy an automatic "at her age" in case infirmity hampered her ability to shift her own. She'd have nothing of it "I've always driven a manual and will continue to drive a manual, I don't know how to drive an automatic (!)".

She's European (Dutch), I should point out.

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300

Express away, but do not do so unless you are very famaliar with that transmission and have
spent some time driving one
as I have. Then feel free to comment away, but not before.

I would ask anyone here why the ratio of sold DSGs to 6MTs so strongly favors the DSGs? :confused:

D
The reason is very simple. LAAs.....Lazy @ss Americans (or girls, no offense)
and the fact that those are the majority of what's available, most people I know will buy whatever TDI is available regardless of the transmission.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
if you pop the clutch turning left, you risk being t-boned, no?
if you pop the clutch, you are at higher risk of being hit from behind, no?
in a manual, you are more aware of speed and RPM, in order to change gears at the proper time, no? and to avoid stalling the car, no?
as you approach a stop, it is considered best practise to fully engage the clutch pedal to offset any engine momentum, (and in doing so you are aware of engine speed, and empirical speed, no?)

hence, i feel you would be a better driver if you have experience working a clutch and shifter (better driver, aka more aware of surroundings, aka, not a lazy driver).

bus drivers do hit pedestrians, cyclists, motorists too, if not more on an industry average as it's their daily job.