2011 TDI DSG Mileage

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
If you haven't seen this thread, 50 mpg per tank at between 59-62 mph (1900-2000 rpm with DSG) is achievable. It will take light throttle, likely no a/c, high tire pressure, maybe oversize tires, and virtually no stop and go traffic, but it can be done. It certainly will take a lot of patience and perserverance (both which I don't have) to achieve 50 mpg tank after tank.:D
  1. Allowed my car to reach operating temperature (usually took about 7 miles @ 45 MPH for the temp gauge to reach 190*F). Even though the temp gauge showed 190*F, the oil temperature probably was still below operating temperature so I didn't start recording data for about another 5 miles or so.
  2. Find stretches of highway of at least 3 miles that are fairly flat and where I could maintain a constant speed. This is fairly easy for me in the Valley of the Sun but I still checked my topo maps since I found a slight gain or decrease in elevation can significantly alter the data (eg. 50 feet/mile change can increase or decrease MPG by about 5 -10 MPG depending on speed).
  3. Set cruise control at speed to be tested via GPS and zero out the MFD1 data to begin the test.
  4. Record at least MPH and Average MPG from the MFD1 at the end of the run.
    It really helps to have another person in the car to record the data as the data can change quickly as one changes speed.
  5. Repeat the test over the same route in the opposite direction. If the MPG difference between this run and the previous run was not within about 12 MPG, I didn't use the data. Either elevation change, DPF regen, or strong winds probably affecthed the data.
  6. Average of the results at each tested speed. After accumulating data from about 10+ two way runs (ie, both directions), I did a simple average of the data. When I compared all two way runs, the data at a specific speed was within a 2 MPG bandwidth of the average. For example, if the simple average MPG was 50, the high two way pair was less than 52 and the low two way pair was greater than 48.
But those are unrealistic of real world scenarios, I know he did that to standardize the "test" but for us normal folk we drive cars that aren't "heated up to optimal temps", go over grades hit traffic etc.

Therefore 50 average is incredibly unlikely esp on a DSG equipped car.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf

The average MPG for a 2011 spread over 286 cars is ~38 mpg. Only 2 of those broke 50mpg. This represents less than 1% of all 2011 TDIs on fuelly. One of those 2 was a 1.4L and the other was from England... could be a smaller engine also.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
But those are unrealistic of real world scenarios, I know he did that to standardize the "test" but for us normal folk we drive cars that aren't "heated up to optimal temps", go over grades hit traffic etc.

Therefore 50 average is incredibly unlikely esp on a DSG equipped car.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf

The average MPG for a 2011 spread over 286 cars is ~38 mpg. Only 2 of those broke 50mpg. This represents less than 1% of all 2011 TDIs on fuelly. One of those 2 was a 1.4L and the other was from England... could be a smaller engine also.
That 38 mpg average on Fuelly most likely reflects a tank driven mostly in an urban setting, as most of us live in cities. After 50K my Jetta averages around 40 mpg in city driving (except in deep winter or a few very hot weeks in summer). 50 mpg at 65 mph with a DSG is not out of the ordinary. As you can see from my sig my best tank (a five hundred mile non stop trip at 70 mph) is 47.8 mpg. The first year that figure was 43.3, same trip, same speed. You may be experiencing some extreme driving conditions in California that decrease your fuel economy (LA/OC traffic, hills/mountains, extreme heat.)

Last edited:

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
That 38 mpg average on Fuelly most likely reflects a tank driven mostly in an urban setting, as most of us live in cities. After 50K my Jetta averages around 40 mpg in city driving (except in deep winter or a few very hot weeks in summer). 50 mpg at 65 mph with a DSG is not out of the ordinary. As you can see from my sig my best tank (a five hundred mile non stop trip at 70 mph) is 47.8 mpg. The first year that figure was 43.3, same trip, same speed. You may be experiencing some extreme driving conditions in California that decrease your fuel economy (LA/OC traffic, hills/mountains, extreme heat.)
We're talking overall averages of 280+ cars over 2million plus miles.

One time snapshots such as on a trip or even on a tank are not exactly representative of what to expect from the car.

F8L

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Prius Three w/Solar Roof
I love seeing these high numbers for the TDi. I wish more people would buy them instead of useless 25 mpg sedans for no other reason than to say they drive a BMW or Acura.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
We're talking overall averages of 280+ cars over 2million plus miles.

One time snapshots such as on a trip or even on a tank are not exactly representative of what to expect from the car.
So what's your point? I record every tank and have from the beginning, both MFD and hand calculated averages, and put those numbers into a spread sheet. I'm not basing my statements on a few wild MFD numbers I got while driving to the mall. All I can talk about with certainty is how my car performs. If you read this forum for a while you'll see a pretty wide spread in fuel economy for the '09-'11s (and a lot of us are meticulous about recording and tracking our fuel usage). I hope as your motor breaks in your mileage will improve, which seems to be the norm.

Last edited:

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
So what's your point? I record every tank and have from the beginning, both MFD and hand calculated averages, and put those numbers into a spread sheet. I'm not basing my statements on a few wild MFD numbers I got while driving to the mall. All I can talk about with certainty is how my car performs. If you read this forum for a while you'll see a pretty wide spread in fuel economy for the '09-'11s. I hope as your motor breaks in your mileage will improve, which seems to be the norm.
My point was to explain to PLUS 3 GOLFER as to how unlikely an average of 50mpg really is.

And I hope my mileage improves also. Time will tell though the 2010s and 2011s get about the same MPG on fuelly so I am not holding my breath. :)

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
My point was to explain to PLUS 3 GOLFER as to how unlikely an average of 50mpg really is.

And I hope my mileage improves also. Time will tell though the 2010s and 2011s get about the same MPG on fuelly so I am not holding my breath. :)
No need to explain it to me. I agree it's not easy to average over 50 mpg tank after tank but it can be done. That's why I started that thread in the link.;) Posters are concered about about their mileage or don't believe others' mileage claims.

I suggest you run the same tests and see how you car stacks up. There have been posters that can't achieve anywhere near the results in my link. That indicates a problem somewhere.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
I'm sorry but personally I think that's ridiculous. Whether it's possible or not depends on many factors. The MPG you get will depend on the type of journey you do, the length, the profile (hilly or flat), the weather, your driving style & speed, whether or not you use AC, etc etc etc. Some people will have journeys which will always result in poor MPG. Other people will be more fortunate. You really can't compare two MPGs without knowing the background of both journeys etc.

GR8GIFT

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG LE
See my fuelly average link below. I see 40+ mpg when driving on the hiways at steady speeds 64-69-74mph depending on the road. As soon as I hit city driving it drops rapidly into the mid 30's.

Rod Knock

TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG in Candy White
first tank I got 39mpg, 2nd tank I got 42.6mpg driving the exact same route. Think there was a little break in there? hahaha
Following the break in procedure still. 1200 miles on it.

35mphgolf

TDI
2013 Golf R
I just rolled 6900 miles. The last tank I got 37mpg/450miles (didn't drive 'till E) - and I was paddle shifting the entire tank, havin' fun. Not at ALL trying to save/conserve. That was also with no additive. Shell Diesel. I've noticed Shell to be better than BP, at least in my area (Southeast VA).

I usually end up averaging 38mpg with 500 miles on the tank. I did a trip to the Outer Banks in NC and that tank averaged 46mpgs with additive (4oz. DieselKleen)

I've got an '11 4dr Golf TDI DSG. 38PSI For the tires.

Because of the gearing of the manuals, they get muchmuch better MPGs than the DSG. But DSG has convenience... sometimes I forget that when I get frustrated at my MPGs...

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (ALH) GLS, 5sp, Tornado Red, 301,593 miles, SOLD
My dad has an '09 with the DSG. He's retired and mostly does around town type driving, with some longer trips here and there. He's getting about 38-41 on average per tank, and he's not trying anything special, he just enjoys the TDI. He's a "normal" driver shall we say, with respect to the gas and brake pedals.

FWIW, I have a 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp that I bought used in 2004 with 25k. For the first couple of years I would only average between 42-47 mpg. Okay so right within the window sticker. But as time passed on and I started learning where the sweet spot was, how to drive "better". In combination with a few mods I have averaged 51.5 mpg as an annual average, for the past 3 years + now.

The mods are super essential, but they help. What I'm trying to say #1, there isn't anything wrong with your car, and to give it plenty of time. It will get better.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Just to post an update to this thread. My car as of today has 14k miles on it.

My last 4 tanks I averaged 36. No improvement. Not great but not bad either.

28 Fuel Ups on Fuelly. Average MPG 36.1 DAMN YOU DSG hahaha

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where are you in CA? I think some driving in the West is tough on FE. First, arid air seems to make a difference. Second, surface road driving where you accelerate to 50 or 60 between lights takes more fuel than the suburban driving here in the East where you may only go 35 40. And, at least where I live, we have fewer lights. My Golf 6M is getting 40-42 in mostly suburban driving here. I don't the entire difference is the transmission.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Well its hard to compare car to car.. that's why we have averages. Generally speaking the DSG gets worse. It is also nearly 200rpms higher on the freeway in 6th vs the Manual. That accounts for most of the gain.

The DSG gets better in town than a manual.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Check My Fuelly

Well its hard to compare car to car. That's why we have averages.
Generally speaking the DSG gets worse.
It is also nearly 200 rpms higher on the freeway in 6th vs the Manual. [Make that closer to 300.]
That accounts for most of the gain.

The DSG gets better in town than a manual.
:)

Study my Fuelly to see what driving careful mostly on the freeway has accomplished.

The faster one goes, the further apart RPM wise the two transmissions are.

You should be getting in the lower forties for tank mileages.

:D

DHG

njtdifan

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I have been generally very happy with my results with real world driving in NJ. Always a mix of City/Hwy. Always fun. Hwy cruise usually 72ish. Still mastering pulse and glide and downhill coasting. But MPG aside...I love this car, the way I can drive it, and the numbers it returns.