2011 Sportwagen Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad FM reception

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..
I'm convinced that it's a case of the side window antenna just isn't as good with reception as a whip antenna. So my question is can I remove the shark fin antenna on the roof, replace it with a whip antenna and swap the antenna inputs on my RCD330? I have read whatever posts I can find here and on the Vortex and haven't found any solutions beyond just getting used to it. I love my FM radio and have a good handful of local stations and I have almost always had decent to great reception over the years with many different vehicles, including my '04 Jetta wagon with a standard whip antenna.

All connections on the radio are solid.

I have no window tints.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..
Bump: over 90 page views and no replies, feeling like this site is petering out..

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Went belly up the minute the site was "upgraded"

Did the stock radio receive well? What about the rcd330 when initially installed?

PhotonBoy

TDI
Went belly up the minute the site was "upgraded"

Did the stock radio receive well? What about the rcd330 when initially installed?
It had the RCD330 when I bought it, just a few months ago. I suspect the issue is the window antennas. I'd like to install an 18" whip antenna where the streaming service antenna is now.

BTW, I wanted to vote for Jello for mayor of S.F. but I was only 16 at the time..

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
As far as I know the 330 is from a far away land across the pond.??? DAB and all that pify ... Maybe its the h.u. itself?. What about trying a cheap ebay antenna booster?

Jello? Must be a half brother, I did live in Castro Valley once.

PhotonBoy

TDI

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I have a RCD510. my radio reception used to be great. But after VW replaced my pano roof its absolute crap. I think they cut the antenna wire or something. I have not dropped the liner to inspect it thou.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Is your phone always plugged in to the 12v? That's always interfered with radio reception in every car I've ever had.