2011 Sportwagen Radio Replacement

tigercreek

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta SportWagen
The factory radio on our 2011 Sportwagen died and we want to replace it with an aftermarket radio.
I'm pretty tech savvy and a DIYer but I'm trying to avoid problems and an ill-advised purchase.

Every replacement that I have looked at only adds to my confusion - especially where the XM radio is concerned.

Example - is the XM radio tuner contained in the factory unit itself or is it mounted within the harness?
We just want a no-frills double-din replacement radio that has Bluetooth (hands-free phone), allows us to retain the steering wheel controls, lets us continue to use XM radio, and retains factory harness connections. We don't "need" anything else.
Help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I had my radio die recently as well, the XM module is part of the main board, so if you want to keep satellite radio you will need to get a radio that has it, or an aftermarket add on. I went cheap with a Chinese market vw radio, my Bluetooth and steering wheel controls work fine, it was plug and play, fit and finish looks fine, but no satellite. there is a guy on here that will sell you what you need with the satellite Barry 82 or something iirc just make sure if you buy a used (take out) you get the security code so you can unlock it.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Have a link for the Chinese radio?

Mine died last week and I'm not ready to upgrade to an RNS-510 yet. Found a stock replacement locally for $150, so unless there's better for the same or less I'll just keep it OEM and hope the new (used) radio doesn't similarly crap out.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Last edited:

tigercreek

TDI
Thanks. The XM information is especially helpful.

I had my radio die recently as well, the XM module is part of the main board, so if you want to keep satellite radio you will need to get a radio that has it, or an aftermarket add on. I went cheap with a Chinese market vw radio, my Bluetooth and steering wheel controls work fine, it was plug and play, fit and finish looks fine, but no satellite. there is a guy on here that will sell you what you need with the satellite Barry 82 or something iirc just make sure if you buy a used (take out) you get the security code so you can unlock it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The BEST (IMHO) path to this, at least cost and least hassle is buy a good genuine USED unit (not from dealer). What radio do you have?????

My 2010 JSW RCD510 had sudden death syndrome. I bought a used one from a 2014. The newer later model RCD510 had back up camera capability, and digital radio which I love and my old RCD did not have. I have not connected the backup camera yet. I recall I only paid $300-$350 from a TDI forum member? If you get a used radio you MUST HAVE the 4 digit unlock code.

Two other radios that came in 2010-2014 VW TDI JSW, RNS510 and RNS315. I don't care for OEM GPS. My Garmin is mounted to my far right drive vent, has free updates, voice command and current data base of places, services, businesses.... I love my RDC510, does everything I want... It took me 10 minutes to swap them out.

I would NOT go eBay China VW "clone" route. It will not work on USA radio station frequencies. If it is a China Nav unit, good luck. China also makes some double DIN replacements that don't try and look like a VW unit, with all kinds of feature (so it appears). I have not read great things about them. They don't work like you think they will. They are cheap.

Dealers like Chrutchfield have a bunch of aftermarket radios that "fit" the double DIN size, and it will be expensive and integration hit and miss, especially as you say with XM radio. I looked into it. To even get something close was going to be $1000-$1200.

Again I got a newer OEM unit and installed it in 10 minutes. Keep in mind I have 5 disk CD, SD card, iPod control, Bluetooth streaming, XM radio and Digital terrestrial radio... What more do you want? I recommend you also go OEM, it will work, look good, and if get a later version like I did, it will have better features (and hopefully not have defect that makes them die). If you had a non NAV RCD and want to upgrade to a RNS, this is the time to do it. My replacement I think was installed about 3 yrs ago. Still working great.

I still have by beloved dead RCD-510. What bothers me is not knowing what fails? How hard is it to fix? I bet not very. I could be wrong, might be a proprietary chip. I poked around my radio, checked power supply. However with out specs and manual it is hard to repair in the blind. It is super simple modular design like a PC, a few boards, CD module, display connected with ribbon strips. There is a lot of air in these radios.

Last edited:

tigercreek

TDI
The BEST (IMHO) path to this, at least cost and least hassle is buy a good genuine USED unit (not from dealer). What radio do you have?????

My 2010 JSW RCD510 had sudden death syndrome. I bought a used one from a 2014. The newer later model RCD510 had back up camera capability, and digital radio which I love and my old RCD did not have. I have not connected the backup camera yet. I recall I only paid $300-$350 from a TDI forum member? If you get a used radio you MUST HAVE the 4 digit unlock code.

Two other radios that came in 2010-2014 VW TDI JSW, RNS510 and RNS315. I don't care for OEM GPS. My Garmin is mounted to my far right drive vent, has free updates, voice command and current data base of places, services, businesses.... I love my RDC510, does everything I want... It took me 10 minutes to swap them out.

I would NOT go eBay China VW "clone" route. It will not work on USA radio station frequencies. If it is a China Nav unit, good luck. China also makes some double DIN replacements that don't try and look like a VW unit, with all kinds of feature (so it appears). I have not read great things about them. They don't work like you think they will. They are cheap.

Dealers like Chrutchfield have a bunch of aftermarket radios that "fit" the double DIN size, and it will be expensive and integration hit and miss, especially as you say with XM radio. I looked into it. To even get something close was going to be $1000-$1200.

Again I got a newer OEM unit and installed it in 10 minutes. Keep in mind I have 5 disk CD, SD card, iPod control, Bluetooth streaming, XM radio and Digital terrestrial radio... What more do you want? I recommend you also go OEM, it will work, look good, and if get a later version like I did, it will have better features (and hopefully not have defect that makes them die). If you had a non NAV RCD and want to upgrade to a RNS, this is the time to do it. My replacement I think was installed about 3 yrs ago. Still working great.

I still have by beloved dead RCD-510. What bothers me is not knowing what fails? How hard is it to fix? I bet not very. I could be wrong, might be a proprietary chip. I poked around my radio, checked power supply. However with out specs and manual it is hard to repair in the blind. It is super simple modular design like a PC, a few boards, CD module, display connected with ribbon strips. There is a lot of air in these radios.
Before we do anything we are checking to see if the radio is covered under our extended warranty. If not our first option is a good used unit like you described.

Michael B

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Before we do anything we are checking to see if the radio is covered under our extended warranty. If not our first option is a good used unit like you described.
I don't think the radio counts as being under any warranty. My radio in my 2010 died last year and I bought an aftermarket one. I didn't realize, though, that the aftermarket radio would not connect to the middle console where an iPod would be plugged in, so now my iPod has to be plugged in from inside the glovebox. Now the middle console is pretty useless.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Any aftermarket radio will work. Single DIN, Double DIN, whatever. You need adapters to connect to steering wheel controls, antenna and existing wiring and a kit to make it fit in the dash. Retailers will often include this (sonicelectronix.com for example). Buy a radio that has the features you want: touchscreen vs. buttons, XM, BT, DVD, whatever.

You can also use an OEM one, though it will likely have fewer features.

I had a basic single DIN in my 2010 and did not have a steering wheel control adapter. It had bluetooth and all the features I needed and worked great. Very straightforward install on these cars.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
You can also use an OEM one, though it will likely have fewer features.

I had a basic single DIN in my 2010 and did not have a steering wheel control adapter. It had bluetooth and all the features I needed and worked great. Very straightforward install on these cars.
What features does an aftermarket radio have that a OEM RCD510 does not have? I can't think of anything. RCD510 =

SD Card
Bluetooth
5 Disk CD
Digital Radio
Backup Camera
Steering Wheel Controls
Sirius XM receiver and control
Phone & Phone directory integration control
iPod connectivity (center console) and control via cable not BT

Yes some aftermarkets connect to the steering wheel, but they fall down with other integrated features the OEM has, like Sirius XM, iPod control by direct cable, backup camera...

Remember this is a CAN BUS car and the OEM radio will not throw codes and can advise if there are faults. Aftermarket? Don't think so.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
? I didn't make any comparisons to the OEM unit. ?

Aftermarket radios work great, I love mine. Some people prefer the features of newer radios like carplay, DVD, android auto, etc.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
Does anyone have an Android radio in their car? If yes, where did you get yours?

ourvw

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Just fyi I can't recommend https://www.eurozonetuning.com enough for a new radio. Our 2011 Sportwagen we just bought had a dead radio, VW dealer gave me $1k off to replace it. Found eurozone that had them for like $180 or so for the newer model that doesn't go bad, comes with code, SAT, HD radio and cd changer. They are OEM refurbs. Took about 10 days to get and packed amazing. And no I didn't get asked or paid to write this.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Last edited:

Volksbeagle

TDI
2010 Jetta sportwagon
someone here mentioned eurozonetuning.com They have OEM radios for decent prices but a little odd that they only take Gpay and paypal. Has anyone else purchased from them?

Volksbeagle

TDI
2010 Jetta sportwagon
Update on OEM radios

Hi everyone,

I came to this forum looking for guidance on replacing our OEM radio in our Jetta wagon and found someone who referenced EUROZONETUNING.COM for used OEM radios. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone interested in keeping an OEM VW radio in their car. Bill, the owner is super responsive and provided three price options based on our model, a 2010 Jetta. They rebuild original VW radios and clean them up really well, have a comprehensive website and great support. I spent hours going back and forth between looking for a used radio on eBay and considering an aftermarket radio (JVC, pioneer, etc.) A lot of eBay radios look to be dirty/ bad shape or of dubious origin considering all of the knockoff radios from China being marketed as originals. The aftermarkets, while an acceptable option with some upsides like carplay, require adaptors and there is potential for loss of functionality and untidy wires protruding for Bluetooth. A new OEM radio from VW cost $400+. We installed an RCD510 AF Revision ($199) so we have retained all functionality including steering wheel control, Bluetooth audio, and a bonus HD radio upgrade. And best of all it is plug and play. Also a correction to an earlier post. I had said that they only accept G-pay and PayPal. That is incorrect. They accept all credit cards. And finally, just an FYI, when you disconnect the negative battery terminal to install a radio upon reconnecting and turning on the car you will get an error light in the data panel say ESP error accompanied by a yellow steering wheel icon light and a red ABS light. This is corrected by starting the car, turning the steering wheel all the way to the left, pause, then all the way to the right, pause then return to center. The light should go off. Had to google this and found fix in these forums as well. Happy trails, Jeff

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There are different versions of the RCD-510 and some of them require software updated to correct the mono Bluetooth issue, including the revision AF radio. The newer the model the more features you get. The same goes for the RNS-510. If you have any questions you can message me. I know a lot about the radios and navigations.