2011 sportwagen. New to me. How to tell if Deleted? NH faIL for Readiness

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi, 2011 wagen,2003 wagon,2013 wagen
Wow, glad to be in a safety only state, not emissions for my TDIs. I know the vw dealer can force readiness to set on most vw gas engines, not sure if it’s a possibility for diesel as it’s not necessary here.
Enjoy it while you can. I fear that they are, and will be getting stricter everywhere.

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
Wow, glad to be in a safety only state, not emissions for my TDIs. I know the vw dealer can force readiness to set on most vw gas engines, not sure if it’s a possibility for diesel as it’s not necessary here.
edit: it's not forcing readiness but a script to step through the required tests to complete readiness, and it can be done without driving.

You can do gassers in VCDS but just not an option for newer TDIs (same for dealer), it's really a pain.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
This is what an ALH needs to set readiness. If it's followed to the letter it works every time. I would think something similar would be required for your 2015.

Work sequence:

Vehicles with engine code ALH => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-003-03ST-51,
Work sequence (Vehicles with engine code ALH )
Connect diagnostic tester => page VW-A4-FU14-ST-001-03ST-7.

Switch ignition on.
Wait 5 seconds.
(Switch engine on.)
Let engine run at idle.
Wait 45 seconds.

Perform a road test. The following operating conditions must be met during this road test:

With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear from 31 to 75 MPH (50 to 120 kph).
Shift to 4th gear and slow to 60 MPH.

Turn on cruise control and set to 60 MPH.
Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.

Park vehicle and switch off ignition.
Wait 15 seconds.
Switch ignition on.
Wait 5 seconds.
(Switch engine on.)
Let engine run at idle.
Wait 45 seconds.

Perform a road test again. The following operating conditions must be met during this road test:

With accelerator pedal depressed completely, accelerate vehicle in 3rd gear from 31 to 75 MPH (50 to 120 kph).
Shift to 4th gear and slow to 60 MPH.

Turn on cruise control and set to 60 MPH.
Drive for 2 minutes in 4th gear on a level driving surface at a constant vehicle speed with an engine speed of 1700 to 1900 RPM.

Park vehicle and let engine run at idle for 3 minutes.
Accelerator pedal must not be operated during this time.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, but the ALH is a whole different ball of wax than the CR engines. It has hardly any readiness TOO set. Also, not all of them even have cruise control, and you do not need to do half that stuff anyway.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Brought the car to dealer. They found one old intermittent code for boost.
I think it is residual for when I was poking around.

They want to change my turbo actuator, and think that will solve my issues. I think not.
I have no drivability issues, however I do note that my brake boost fades (another thread)

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Will they guarantee that it will fix it? Or are they just toughing parts at it? Greenland VW service is really bad.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Throwing parts I fear. I can't imagine Greenland guaranteeing anything.
I do not see the connection between a code that was intermittent and that was not there for months
and the O2 and EGR bits not set.

I have however found an option: I own a house in Maine. I will register the car there.
No pollution testing (except in Cumberland County---Portland)

In fact, I have learned that *anyone* can register a car in Maine, just like anyone can incorporate in Delaware.
Maine will take your money, give you a plate and send you on your way--They don't even care where you live.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Good to know about Maine. I've heard the same about Vermont.

The state you live in might care, though....

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know about Maine. I've heard the same about Vermont.

The state you live in might care, though....
Yeah... The states just want your money either way. I do have a 2nd house in Maine so I have some level of legitimacy.
There are actually companies out there that will register your car in Maine if you want them to--- I think commercial truckers do it.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Will they guarantee that it will fix it? Or are they just toughing parts at it? Greenland VW service is really bad.

They sent me a survey, and I wrote that they didn't solve the issue---They then wrote to me directly telling me
that the one intermittent DTC code was the cause. So I asked them if they would guarantee that as the fix
and if it wasn't, there would be no charge.
Crickets.

I will call them and talk to them and try to make them on the spot. I guess they don't like anything but "gush" reviews.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Still no joy. I did speak with someone who works with state of NH DMV OBD testing. He said that there must be something wrong with the car
and it needs to be fixed ..... However I did find this important statement in parsing through the above referenced Technical Bulletin
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10123033-9999.pdf

"There is no need to repair any vehicle system due to readiness not being set. Repair work is required only if there
is a relevant DTC stored within the ECM and the MIL is illuminated. Ignore pending DTCs."

In other words, VW, the manufacturor of the vehicle, says that there is nothing to fix barring a CEL

Regarding OBD fail-to-pass NH has a "hardship waiver" which I personally think is outrageous; they want to know how much money you make
whether to give you a 1 year waiver AND they want a written estimate for how much it would cost to fix.
Straight out of Marx.

How is that for "equal protection under the law" ??

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
In addition to the tip that :

"There is no need to repair any vehicle system due to readiness not being set. Repair work is required only if there
is a relevant DTC stored within the ECM and the MIL is illuminated. Ignore pending DTCs."

There is the following:
"4. Contact the VW Technical Helpline (TAC) if there are difficulties setting readiness on a TDI clean diesel vehicle."

I asked the VW dealer (Greenland NH VW) who worked on my car if they were familiar with this document and/or if they did call the TAC.
The answer was "nope"

buncha idjits.

Is there a TAC for consumers? Or independent shops? I tried the VW TAC number and you need a dealer access code. Without it, it just disconnects you.

I found a previous thread where user CNGVW says to force a DPF regen while driving. I just did that.
DPF regenerated. Now need to keep driving.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
OK To make things more interesting.

I bought a 2013 tdi sportwagen for myself (The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and expect....)

It came from Maine. Just had its DPF swapped under warranty ~500 miles ago at VW Bangor. It too has failed NH inspection
for same exact readiness reasons (O2 EGR) , HOWEVER this car is still under warranty til August or for another 10kmiles.
Now at least I can throw this at the dealer and say "fix it with no cost to me."
Incidentally, I called VW Bangor and asked them about the readiness subsequent to their repair. Their answer: "What is readiness?"

I also posted on the TDI fb page and someone stated that if a VW car has an aftermarket radio, it could cause OBD issues.
And the 2011 DOES have one that is super complicated and I would like to get rid of it and reinstall stock. Many features
in the new radio do not work (steering wheel controls etc). I am looking at stock radio w code at eurozonetuning.com

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
OK To make things more interesting.

I bought a 2013 tdi sportwagen for myself (The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and expect....)

It came from Maine. Just had its DPF swapped under warranty ~500 miles ago at VW Bangor. It too has failed NH inspection
for same exact readiness reasons (O2 EGR) , HOWEVER this car is still under warranty til August or for another 10kmiles.
Now at least I can throw this at the dealer and say "fix it with no cost to me."
Incidentally, I called VW Bangor and asked them about the readiness subsequent to their repair. Their answer: "What is readiness?"

I also posted on the TDI fb page and someone stated that if a VW car has an aftermarket radio, it could cause OBD issues.
And the 2011 DOES have one that is super complicated and I would like to get rid of it and reinstall stock. Many features
in the new radio do not work (steering wheel controls etc). I am looking at stock radio w code at eurozonetuning.com
Oh... I also found old inspection reports for the 2011 from Mass. One where it failed for same reasons and another where it subsequently passed. I *think* there is no way to lie on OBD inspections because your car gets electronically connected to the Ministry of Truth at DMV.

vdubdiesel

TDI
I called VW Bangor and asked them about the readiness subsequent to their repair. Their answer: "What is readiness?"
I'm guessing you're not heading up to Bangor for a bad dealer. I do think the the dealership is supposed to set readiness before returning the car. Given that TSB that instructs them how to set readiness. My dealer didn't, although i think they tried (they drove 30miles). Once set, mine has behaved itself nothing new to report.

Good luck, congrats on the new purchase.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Follow up:

I registered the 2011 in Maine because of the inability of the car to become "ready"
Three weeks ago, I checked and it was down to one item not ready (EGR)

I was just going to pull the battery to inspect the steering wiring so decided to check again 'cause I imagine the
whole readiness thing is going to start over...
Surprised! Amazed!--The car is now ready!!! It took well over 3000 miles of driving!

vdubdiesel

TDI
Congrats Almus - just a simple 3k drive cycle.