2011 JSW - yet another leaking panoramic.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So it has been a solid 8-9 months since my multiple posts on the very problematic pano roof on my now departed 2012 JSW that ended up spending almost a solid month in the shop for new headliner, new carpet, new drains and ultimately some body shop work to fix the roof leaks. It was shortly traded in for my e-Golf but not for the roof reasons alone - although I am glad to now not have any kind of opening roof that can leak.

Well we thought we had lucked out with the 2011 as there was never any notable water intrusion but just like my '12 it started leaking out of the blue at some point in the past 6-7 months. When the remnants of hurricane Sally rolled through Atlanta and dumped 4-5" of rain on us the front drivers floor of the '11 was entirely saturated, after doing some further digging we found mildew growing in the back floorboards so it must have been leaking for sometime but not enough to be noticeable. Mind you we don't really have any trees to drop crap all over the car to clog the drains, at home they stay in a wide open parking lot without overhanging trees and at work they sit in an enclosed parking garage.

Thankful for it being CPO car with a good 6 months left on CPO warranty. Called same dealer that handled my '12 and without even looking at the '11 they went ahead and ordered the headliner and carpet and will call once the parts come in. Seems its a common enough issue they just order the parts preparing for repairs and after seeing the warranty cost invoices its a very expensive cost to VWoA, they probably would have been better off just crushing any of the cars with a panoramic roof if my two examples are any indication.

Anyhoo - I won't ever touch a VW with a panoramic roof again.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
You're making me nervous. I just bought a 2014 JSW with a sunroof against my better judgement because I couldn't find one without it. I know I'm going to regret this...

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
Just out of curiousity, how did you end up getting a new headliner? I just got mine back after new drains, sun screen, sunroof assembly and glass (CPO car, thank god). I pushed for replacing the headliner as well but the had the interior professionally cleaned (carpets, headliner, etc) but refused to replace the headliner. They got most of the stains out, but there are still a few areas with discoloring.

Porch

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
My solution ended up being... taping the sunroof shut with clear Gorilla Tape. I tried everything, and clearly these sunroofs can't not leak. Even when all systems are perfect, you can't park on a hill when it's raining? Unacceptable. Gorilla Tape solves the leaking 100%, looks fine, and as an added bonus, has also solved the incessant creaking these pano roofs are famous for. I just re-did it after a year during a dry spell, and used that few dry days to clean up the residue(easy, no paint damage),drive around with the top open, gummi pflege all the rubber, and enjoy the sunroof for a few days. Honestly, it's overrated and I don't mind it being sealed shut the rest of the year.

Last edited: