2011 JSW radio went dark

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Yesterday afternoon while driving on the interstate for a few hours my radio appeared to lose power with no warning. One minute I am listening to a youtube podcast on phone through bluetooth, the next moment, nothing. No lights at all on radio.

Did some research on internet. I checked the 15A fuse under the hood in fuse box. It is good. I tried the radio reboot trick, holding down power button for over a minute. No change.

I did just discover that apparently I can listen to the radio without turning the ignition on. Guess that's why we dont have acc position!

Do I need to do the reboot trick with ignition off?

I have also read that there is a fuse inline going to the radio. Is this so? How much of a PITA to get at? I assume I need to pull the unit to do this?

The radio is the RCD 510, Premium 8. I've been quite happy with it, overall. I sometimes get distortion that sounds like a blown speaker in the rear, but this is intermittent and haven't noticed recently. Also, BT connectivity is a little clunky, if I turn car off, then back on quickly. Seems like it takes a while for everything to connect so I can play music from phone through the radio.

Would like to salvage this unit, but if it is toast, would like recommendations on aftermarket stuff that will plug and play and work with steering wheel controls.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Radios fried.its more common than you think. My dad's died. Gave him the new one I had from a totaled car. Now that one the screen flashes.
My nav radio has a memoryberror code and the Bluetooth resets on its own. Best to put a aftermarket canbus radio in it.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Anyone out there have one they'd part with at a reasonable price? Mine is muti-cd. Would like one with a CD, but no need for multi disk as I rarely listen to them. Would consider diskless as well.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Would be happy with a direct replacement, but it seems these things have a habit of dying.

Should I just spend a little more and go aftermarket?

Wouldn't mind adding a backup camera, actually. Maybe I'll stop backing into things!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Would be happy with a direct replacement, but it seems these things have a habit of dying.

Should I just spend a little more and go aftermarket?

Wouldn't mind adding a backup camera, actually. Maybe I'll stop backing into things!
Aftermarket ones for these cars start at $450