2011 JSW P0087 fault codes

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
no replies on the MK6 forum maybe someone here can help?

Hi all
looking for some advice - I have read all of the threads on this I can find and cannot figure out the problem.

I have a 2011 JSW and am getting P0087 error codes combined with the flashing glowplug symbol and then the check engine warning lamp and the car goes into limp home mode. They can come on every mile or nothing for 500 miles. In between resetting the codes the car runs perfectly until it starts setting codes again. This has been happening for the last 2500 miles. First thing I did was check for filings in the pump fuel metering valve but its totally clean.

I have read through all of the forum posts on similar problems but very few people post their final solutions. The only post that seems to have done so found that replacing the fuel metering valve on the pump worked for them. I have replaced the filter and checked the fuel lines are unkinked and free flowing. I have the ross tech cable and VCDS and my lift and aux pumps seem to be running at the right pressures so I replaced the fuel metering valve - no metal particles visible anywhere. The replacement has not helped so I need some outside help because I just hate throwing parts at a problem! I have messaged 2 micron about his technique for cleaning the fuel pressure regulator on the rail but I cant find any details to the technique. If anyone has had the same problem and solved it can you tell me what the solution is because i am banging my head against the wall on this one - I have also been through all of the posts on the MK 5 forum too and lots of people have posted the same - or similar - problems but no solutions seem to be posted - the threads just stop - any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Barri

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm the guy who fixed a similar problem by replacing the fuel metering valve. The problem with this is that VW and Bosch do not sell this part in North America. You either have to find one somewhere or order it from Europe.

However, does your car have the emissions "fix" from VW? If yes, the warranty should cover the HPFP and replacing the entire HPFP is VW's way to fix a flaky fuel metering valve.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I might still have the old (bad) metering valve from my HPFP in my garage. At least it only caused problems every 500 to 600 miles. PM me if you would like to try it for troubleshooting, I'll see if I can find it.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Hi Don
Thanks for the reply and thanks for posting your fix!
I did find a new metering valve on amazon of all places - a new bosch one $63 and replaced mine but unfortunately it didn't help. I talked to the local VW dealership and they say that even though the fix covers the HPFP it doesn't count in my case as it seems to be a sensor problem and not a damaged hpfp. sort of sucks in many ways :)
I will clean the fuel pressure regulator on the rail and replace the fuel pressure sensor but after that Ill just have to shell out the scheckels to the dealership to fix it unless they decide its an hpfp problem and is then covered under the extended warranty.
evidently sensors are considered expendables.
cheers and thanks

Barri

Last edited:

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
looks like you re right Don and I need to go back and fight with my local dealer!

I just checked my extended warranty booklet and it says

 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all
sensors and actuators;

Maybe they will be forced to cover the sensors
cheers
Barri

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is under the fix warranty. Call the VoA hotline if the dealer is giving you a line of crap.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Took the car back today with a printout of the faults from vcds and a copy of the extended fix warranty. Local VW say they can do nothing if the codes are not present in the ecu and I have to clear the codes or the car is undrivable. I have now left the car with them and they will drive it to try to get it to set a code so they can do the work if it sets the codes.
I will update you on the final outcome and whatever the fix is.
Thanks for the thoughts
cheers
Barri

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The other option (if necessary) is drive it until it fails and then tow it to the dealer. It will definitely have the codes then.

Also, do you have to clear the codes to drive it? When I had my fuel pressure issues, all I had to do was to shut off the engine and re-start it. Limp mode was gone, but the codes were still there.

Have Fun!

Don

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
with mine when the flashing glowplug light comes on I could stop and restart and run normally and it set a pending code. If I drove for more than a minute with the glowplug light flashing the MIL would come on and set a hard code. Once it set a hard code the car goes into limp home and is just about impossible to drive (felt like no turbo power and max speed of about 40 which you get to in about 2 minutes).
I printed out the VCDS faults for the dealer but they need to get them their selves if they do it as a warranty. They offered to drive it around to set codes and to be honest I wont drive it as I do long trips generally and no longer trust it. Ive left them to drive it around Tucson and I'm using my land rover (at 16mpg!) for long trips.
If it doesn't set a fault for them soon then I'll just drive it locally myself until it does and then take it back (either tow or drive slowly if its in town).
I really hate intermittent faults
Ill keep the thread updated and try and post the final findings (thanks again for doing yours Don - even though it wasn't my problem it is a huge help!)
cheers
Barri

Last edited:

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
just a quick update = the car has been with the dealer for a week now. They cant really figure it out either but have replaced the tank lift pump and the engine bay aux pump. They have been test driving it to check the codes dont pop up again and I will be picking it up tomorrow if everything seems OK.
I'll keep you posted if that is the final fix.
cheers
Barri

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
here is the print out of what they did. When I tested the pump it was running just fine but I'll try and see what happens

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
codes came back after 27 miles :-(
Took the car back into the dealer and they had a VOA tech from Phoenix come over and test it - he said the HPFP was failing intermittently when pressurized to above 5000psi and losing all pressure.
They are replacing the HPFP and I pick the car up tomorrow morning. Hopefully this will fix it. Ill post the final result if it works :)
cheers
Barri

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
done 300 miles now with no codes. Hopefully that is the end of the problem - HPFP internal failure - no metal flakes anywhere in the system :D
Thanks for the help
cheers
Barri

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Does anyone here remember ever reading about "HPFP was failing intermittently"???

I thought HPFPumps didn't gradually fail.

????

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
I have read most of the HPFP posts on the MK5 and Mk6 boards and havent seen a similar failure pattern although most people never post their final solution. Mine failed intermittently over the last 2500 miles - failing as infrequently as every 500 miles or as often as 2 or 3 times in a mile. When i couldnt figure it out and took it in to the dealer it took them 44 miles to have the check engine light come on and their initial fault finding was the in tank lift pump.
It failed again 27 miles later and after a visit by a tech from Phoenix they told me the HPFP was failing occasionally at pressures above 5000psi. They replaced the HPFP due to internal failure (no metal flakes or shavings to be seen) and I have driven 300 miles since replacement with no problems - I'll report back if it fails in the next 1000 miles.
here is a picture of the final finding from the dealer

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The problem was not the HPFP, it was the control solenoid on top of it... but Volkswagen does not sell this part by itself (Bosch does). So they will replace the whole pump.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thanks, OH, for your usual calm and clear clarification. I guess in all my lurking here I never saw a post referencing the control solenoid.
You're the best!

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
believe it or not OH it was not the control solenoid. I saw you, 2 micron and dweisel discussing control solenoid replacement in one of the many p0087 threads so bought one from a supplier in the UK - genuine Bosch - fitted it (only a 3 minute job) and the codes were still coming on. I removed the replacement one and refitted the original before I took it to the dealer. Talking to the diesel tech at the dealer he said there is also a mechanical pressure regulator (from my understanding a mechanical spring loaded ball regulator) and they have seen several of these acting up causing intermittent faults and there is no replacement available for these so they replace the pump.
Dont know if he was just blowing smoke but the new pump fixed the problem :)

Cheers and thanks for all of the advice you have given in so many threads - I know you have helped me lots!