2011 JSW P0087 fault codes

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Hi all
looking for some advice - I have read all of the threads on this I can find and cannot figure out the problem.

I have a 2011 JSW and am getting P0087 error codes combined with the flashing glowplug symbol and then the check engine warning lamp and the car goes into limp home mode. They can come on every mile or nothing for 500 miles. In between resetting the codes the car runs perfectly until it starts setting codes again. This has been happening for the last 2500 miles. First thing I did was check for filings in the pump fuel metering valve but its totally clean.

I have read through all of the forum posts on similar problems but very few people post their final solutions. The only post that seems to have done so found that replacing the fuel metering valve on the pump worked for them. I have replaced the filter and checked the fuel lines are unkinked and free flowing. I have the ross tech cable and VCDS and my lift and aux pumps seem to be running at the right pressures so I replaced the fuel metering valve - no metal particles visible anywhere. The replacement has not helped so I need some outside help because I just hate throwing parts at a problem! I have messaged 2 micron about his technique for cleaning the fuel pressure regulator on the rail but I cant find any details to the technique. If anyone has had the same problem and solved it can you tell me what the solution is because i am banging my head against the wall on this one - I have also been through all of the posts on the MK 5 forum too and lots of people have posted the same - or similar - problems but no solutions seem to be posted - the threads just stop - any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Barri

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Thanks ksing
it is currently at the dealer - been there for a week now and they cant figure it out either. They have replaced the tank lift pump and the engine bay aux pump and are driving it to test it. I'll pick it up tomorrow if the codes dont come back. I just hate repairs that I can't trust and with no real diagnosis I'm worried it will break down again. I tested the pressure from both replaced pumps and they were in spec with VCDS.
I just guess I like to understand the problem and believe in the cure :)
I'll post the final outcome if they figure it out
cheers
Barri

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
just another update - the dealer found the original vent pipe plug for the tank was still installed (supposed to just be for transport) and the gas tank cap was no longer venting so the tank was under vacuum and caused the tank pump to fail. Its wierd because when I tested the pump I was getting 6psi with no faults but anyway they replaced the pump and gas cap with new parts under waranty Ive posted the write up below - I'll see how it gores but I'm not confident :)

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
set code P0087 after 27 miles so back to the dealer. Thy tested the HPFP (no metal flakes anywhere in the system but found it had failed internally and intermittently lost pressure above 5000psi. They replaced the HPFP under warranty and I have now driven just over 300 miles with no codes
Hopefully that was the problem.
cheers
Barri