2011 jetta tdi stuck in park

Oilers02

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Ive got the vehicle scheduled to go in the shop tomorrow before it gets there I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions on what I could try before hand to fix this problem.

When i press down on the pedal the green foot on the dash goes away showing I'm pressing on the pedal but will not shift out of park. Ive read it could be a fuse just not sure if anyone knows which one exactly for me to look at or if anyone has any other suggestions.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I don't know if it will work on yours, but on the older cars you could turn the key just a bit and shift out of park. You would turn the key like half way between off and run (no dash lights on). Shift to neutral to start then shift to drive. Edit to add this wouldn't fix anything, but may help you avoid a tow.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The inhibit solenoid is probably bad. People spill liquids down in there and it cooks them. Get your money out, that is part of the whole gear selector module... list out around $900 last time I checked.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You said the light goes out when you press the brake. So, no. The switch is working. The solenoid in the gear selector assembly isn't moving the pin.

Oilers02

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
You said the light goes out when you press the brake. So, no. The switch is working. The solenoid in the gear selector assembly isn't moving the pin.
The inhibit solenoid is probably bad. People spill liquids down in there and it cooks them. Get your money out, that is part of the whole gear selector module... list out around $900 last time I checked.
Ya my obd reader is saying gear shift lock solenoid
Code 01236. Is that 900 usd or cad. I took it to the shop and literally as i pulled up the d starting flashing and i couldn't move. I shut the car off and then was able to move it again. Im expecting a big quote im just not sure can they replace just the solenoid or do they have to replace the whole mechatronic assembly?