2011 Jetta TDI - heavy white/gray smoke heavy diesel smell

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
I just bought this car recently; the mechanic of the person I bought it from said the turbo needed to be replaced due to the smoke, but after having this car for a few days, I'm thinking injector seal or injector issues. The smoke is heavy from idle and during acceleration, gray/white and smells of unburnt diesel - it really doesn't smell like burned oil to me.

Warm compression is 350, 340, 350, 325 psi.

Can any of the VCDS blocks help me identify injector or injector seal issues?

I don't have any fault codes related to injectors.

I won't be able to post a VCDS log until next week when I get back home.

What do you guys think? Anywhere else I should look before pulling the turbo?

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
Oh, and I drained the lower intercooler turbo hoses, and only had an acceptable amount of oil come out (about 1/2 cup).

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Block 13 gives the injector correction, valid at below 1500 rpm when engine temp is above 50 C. Values should all be below 1 as far as I know. Mine are typically less than 0.1 and almost never more than 0.3.

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
Yeah, Block 13 looks great. -0.07mg/str to 0.16 mg/str. I pulled the fuel return from the injectors and diverted them into individual water bottles. All injectors output about the same volume while running - no outliers. Still heavy white-gray smoke. Not sure where to go now

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Blown head gasket, and water getting into the exhaust? The exhaust condensate should taste slightly sweet if it is coolant.
Too much diesel should be black, not white/gray.
I'm not sure how unburned fuel would make it through, unless the injection timing is completely off.

fin reaper

TDI
2006 Jetta; 2011 JSW
The white/gray smoke was def raw unburned diesel fuel (think about your old days on the farm and adding diesel to a warm burn barrel just before it ignites). Black smoke is generally from over fueling. Certainly not the case here.

I found a dripping injector. New injectors landed today and problem fixed!

Also fyi - I ran a bottle of diesel purge through the system b4 replacing the injectors, bypassing the filter canister and the exhaust smoke nearly burned my eyeballs with the diesel purge doing its job.