2011 jetta tdi engine harness

dqman01

TDI
(2) 2011 jetta tdi w/nav
engine light went on,dealer says its a engine harness?how much would that cost,is it something someone not mechanically can tackle?

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
Check for recalls and or TSB.

An engine harness is not something that should need replacement in a 2011 car.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
engine light went on, dealer says its a engine harness?
Does not a MIL equate to a "code" and if so why did the dealer not read it?

Why does it need a whole engine harness just because a light went on? Some details are missing.

dqman01

TDI
(2) 2011 jetta tdi w/nav
he mentioned that glow plug 2 and 4 were not firing properly and the technician recomended to swap all 4 glow plugs and swap.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
he mentioned that glow plug 2 and 4 were not firing properly and the technician recomended to swap all 4 glow plugs and swap.
What codes were in the system?

If there are codes regarding cyl 2 and 4, you could move the glow plugs to different cylinders and see if you get the similar codes on different cylinders. If that is the case, the glow plugs are bad and the harness is fine.

If the codes stay on the cylinders, the problem is not with the glow plugs.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm pretty sure the glow plugs need to be coded to the cylinders in the ECM, it requires a bit of effort to swap them around to test. Maybe that's what your tech is avoiding.

I would definitley NOT change the engine harness based on the information you have provided.

vwincalgary

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
My 2011 Jetta just had its wiring harness replaced 2 weeks ago at the dealer. I was getting the 'check engine' light accompanied by a significant loss of power and stalling at low speeds.

$600 for the part and 5 hrs labour ($125/hr) plus $140 for diagnostics....just over $1400.

Dealership said the harness was rubbing on engine block and wore through some wires.

Now...if i can just get starting issues fixed.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
True, but when it is on warranty, I'd want a new harness and make sure it does not happen again.
Just over 1400 bucks is not sounding like warranty work to me. If they could of fixed the wires proper without replacing all of it might be better even if under warranty. Potential issues with replacing that much harness seems excessive in my opinion.

vwincalgary

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Nope. Definately wasnt under warranty. I paid $1400 out of pocket...i also didnt mention i paid $1000 3 days prior for the same issue that they thought it 'might' be a fuel pump.

So...in actuality i paid 2400. It amazes me that these dealers just think i have this kind of money laying around. 1400 bucks was made to seem like i was getting a bargain.

...sighs...

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Nope. Definately wasnt under warranty. I paid $1400 out of pocket...i also didnt mention i paid $1000 3 days prior for the same issue that they thought it 'might' be a fuel pump.
So...in actuality i paid 2400. It amazes me that these dealers just think i have this kind of money laying around. 1400 bucks was made to seem like i was getting a bargain.
...sighs...
Maybe call VW customer care and ask them for some help. The dealer should be responsible in some capacity for charging you for work that was unessary.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I also didn't mention i paid $1000 3 days prior for the same issue that they thought it 'might' be a fuel pump.
Well since that wasn't the issue, demand to get your $1000 back on that job.

I do not pay people to "guess" when the hourly rate is what it is.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
It seems to me like dealers tend to diagnose by trying parts to see what fixes it rather than actual diagnostics, other than an hour labor to check your codes :)

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It seems to me like dealers tend to diagnose by trying parts to see what fixes it rather than actual diagnostics...
Bingo which is why I call most of them parts replacers.

Throw a few electrons into the mix and most of them are lost.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
You may have heard me mention this before, but the wipers on my wife's Hyundai started acting weird. She brought it in (under warranty still), they said come back saturday, we have to order a wiper transmission assembly. OK fine. She brings it in, they say it still doesn't work, they have to wait 2 hours for Hyundai central in CA to open for tech support, turns out to be a relay. If that wasn't covered under warranty, and they tried to make her pay for it, I would have been livid.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The engine wiring harnesses on the 2009-2011 (12?) Are too short and rub near the oil filter housing causing all kinds of issues. My replacement harness ($300) is longer and fits much better. Took me 12 hours to replace.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
The engine wiring harnesses on the 2009-2011 (12?) Are too short and rub near the oil filter housing causing all kinds of issues. My replacement harness ($300) is longer and fits much better. Took me 12 hours to replace.

So, They have a faulty part from the get-go, and are going to charge me $1400 to replace it when it fails?

If the new one and the old one are not Exactly alike then I would think those that have this work done would have some kind of ground to stand on for getting VWOA to pay for it since it is their fault and not something that we could prevent or predict.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
To me, dumb as I am, if the part that was installed at the factory was faulty and took over the warranty period to crap out it still needs to be covered by the warranty. If they didn't diagnose the problem correctly and billed me $1k for their shoddy work I'd be having a "come to Jesus" meeting with someone.

We had plumbers out to replace a septic pump last week, and the first guys got the pump replaced while the second set of guys came out to fix a "problem". The second set of guys charged nothing because as the lead told my wife we're fixing their screwup, which is nice at $97/hrX2 for three hours each. Car dealers need to operate on the same system IMHO.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The new harness is longer now and has a new pn. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet: VW after sale service is non existent. If you want a reliable car with warranty and customer service, trade the VW at the nearest Toyota/Honda dealer.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The new harness is longer now and has a new pn. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet: VW after sale service is non existent. If you want a reliable car with warranty and customer service, trade the VW at the nearest Toyota/Honda dealer.

My dealer sells honda too! Lol they also sell audi.... Now amagine paying another 10 to 50 thousand or more for your Audi and having those very same VW/Audi service experts working on both brands in the same garage. Making the same bone head mistakes :eek:

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold

Curious about which part number is the new one. I have a really nasty wiring harness on my 2009 wagon and I'm about to start working on it. Would love to know what you used.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Curious about which part number is the new one. I have a really nasty wiring harness on my 2009 wagon and I'm about to start working on it. Would love to know what you used.
Does anyone have this part number or an aftermarket source for one?
I believe this is the part number 03L971627K and you can use your VIN to check here and even order >>>> https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2011_Jetta/Engine-Wiring-Harness/47991081/03L971627K.html

I just had my daughters replaced on her 350k Jetta TDI. It had rubbed through in the normal spot, right behind the oil filter housing. If you remove the heavy bundle of wires from the holder just to the right of the housing, you can free the harness up and probably see the trouble "spot" where it's rubbed.